View Full Version : An Installation Oddity

hollis_f
05-07-2003, 09:48 AM
For the last week I've had the following problem. Whenever I try to install something to a Storage Card this appears on my PPC screen...

http://www.oucs.org/installation.jpg

asking me to choose where I want it installed. But it's the moronic Microsoft file selector that only knows about 'My Documents' - so I can only install apps into there. This is somewhat annoying.

Can anybody tell me how to remove this annoyance before I have to restore from last week's backup?

Janak Parekh
05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
You mean, you're trying to install an application from the desktop?

I've never seen that. 8O

Is it possible you installed some "installation" or "sync" helper recently?

--janak

hollis_f
05-07-2003, 05:29 PM
You mean, you're trying to install an application from the desktop?
Yup, I get the normal install dialogs on the desktop. If I choose to install to the default (in Main memory) all progresses as normal. If I select 'Storage Card' it's all normal until that screen pops up on the iPAQ.

Unfortunately it appeared after I'd spent a day installing loads of stuff. So I'm not sure what caused it.

Looks like it's time to reset and restore tonight.

hollis_f
06-04-2003, 04:50 PM
OK. I didn't do the reset/restore becaise I'd stupidly done a backup that overwrote the last good one I had (only backups are from several weeks ago).

The same screen pops up now when I try to change the theme for my Today Page.

It seems as if a botched install has overwritten something important. I thought it must be wceload.exe, but I can only find one copy of that (and that's in the ROM).

I'm now looking at a hard-reset followed by a manual install. But if I have to do that I think I'll wait until the PPC2k3 upgrade comes out.

Please - has anybody got any ideas as to how I've mucked up my machine?

spursdude
06-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Since you mention the ROM, why not try (re)installing the most recent ROM upgrade?