View Full Version : Which PDA would suit me the best?

dumdum
05-07-2003, 07:23 AM
First off, im a gamer so a 400 mhz processor is a must along with good buttons for gaming.
Im planning on upgrading like crazy so it has to have both:SD(sdio would be nice), and CF.
I need a big battery life since this is going to be used around 7 hours on a daily basis.
I want windows not linux or palm os(shudders).
Im also going to get a camara, foldable keyboard, GPS.
A big and easy-to-see screen since i do a lot of e-reading and im also going to use it as divx player :) .

Im not sure about wifi since i dont have it and prolly wont get it until 6 months. And since im still in high school i still dont visit starbucks or a 5 star hotel often.

The thing that im really, really interested in getting is some kind of wirelesss web(gprs for example). Is there anything good out ther for PPC's thats around $50 a months for wireless web. I know im going to use this a lot for emails and im'ing friends.

I know that all this is garanteed to go past a grand but i willing to pay for all of it for the use that im going to get in return.

PS. no i dont want a laptop, they're just too bulky for my lifestyle.

Thanks for any comments.

Abba Zabba
05-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Why did you post this twice?

TopDog
05-07-2003, 07:50 AM
To be onest... I think you should get the iPAQ 3970 with the CF-pluss jacket (the one with extra battery).

It's got a large screen, possibly the best screen for games, SDIO, 400Mhz, and with the CF+ jacket you've got a hell of a lot battery to play with... and it's the device with most accessories available!

Don't be fooled by a salesman to go for the iPAQ 5400 series, theire just not good enough yet!

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 02:33 PM
I think you'll be happy with the Advanced Dell because of the battery life; if you want the 3.8" screen though I'd recommend the Toshiba e750 because it has dual slots included and wouldn't need the awkward sleeve. The battery life on that is decent but not as good as the Dell so you might want to get an extra battery with that.

TopDog
05-07-2003, 09:22 PM
But then again the Dell's D-pad is a little moshy... I play games with my Dell, but I liked the D-pad on the 3970 better...

spursdude
05-07-2003, 11:55 PM
The Dell sounds like your perfect match except for the D-Pad... If Dell fixes that or if you don't mind it, the Dell would be an awesome match. If you get the extended battery, you'll have power for a very long time.

dumdum
05-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your input.

I have decided to go with the dell advance. Heres what im going to get for $950 -

1- Dell advance
2- CF GPS(i can reuse it for later pdas)
3- 1 gig CF card
4- 680x460 digital camara
5- car mount for pda and cell phone that lets you play audio on your fm stereo(not dell, reusable)
6- foldable keyboard(dell, not reusable)
7- aluminum case
8- 1400mah battery(this would be my second)
9- 12 pack of screen overlays

All this is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Yes its all new, right from their website. Do any of you think this is a good deal or are there better ones that any of you know of? Im also getting this along with a cell phone( a $.01 after rebate) to get the gprs. Im going to get the $30 voice plan and add to it the $20(10 meg) data add-on plan.

Edit: I forgot to list the solar panel for recharging outdoors wich is around 60. PS. the thing thats going to suck thought is the innability to use the axim as a remote controll like the hp's :cry:

Any suggestion or comment you are welcome. thanks once again. And expect to see more of me from after i buy it.

maximus
05-08-2003, 09:05 AM
If you really want the extra power, why not get the 3400 mAH battery instead?

Just a quick question, you do realize that you only have 1 CF slot for all of those equipments, right ? So if you are using your CF GPS, you wont be able to use your 1 GB CF card etc. ?

TopDog
05-08-2003, 09:16 AM
An SD-card would be smart... you want to be able to store your apps'n'maps on a memory-card while using the CF-GPS!

dumdum
05-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Why dont i get the 3400?

I was thinking about it but when you have two 1400 it should be enough since I can recharge both at night and have one as a back up. And yeah i know its just one cf slot. but it has sd so its ok

im also forgot to mention the 256 sd card. the 64 mmc from my franklin ebookman will do for now.