View Full Version : Getting those scratches out

ipaq38vette
05-06-2003, 11:52 PM
I have an ipaq 3800 and over the past 9 months have gotten a number of stylus scratches or marks in popular areas such as the start menu area or the scroll bars. I use ArmorAll to clean the screen, but the scratches dont go away. I heard that SonofaGun works but it comes in a HUGE bottle. What is the best way to get rid of these scratches? They are very annoynig in the sunlight.

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 12:29 AM
If they're not that bad, a good screen protector like Write Shields could cover them. I had a few MINOR, tiny scratches, and I can't see them with the screen protector on. You should get one anyway to prevent further damage!

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 01:18 AM
I have an ipaq 3800 and over the past 9 months have gotten a number of stylus scratches or marks in popular areas such as the start menu area or the scroll bars. I use ArmorAll to clean the screen, but the scratches dont go away. I heard that SonofaGun works but it comes in a HUGE bottle. What is the best way to get rid of these scratches? They are very annoynig in the sunlight.

EEK! I'm not so sure I'd put any chemicals on the screen. Water maybe but not tire polish. It's my understanding that there are a lot of highly sensitive spots on the screen to help make the stylus input a reality. I'm sure they are sensitive to chemicals at some level. I've used a cloth from Oakley sunglasses that their sunglasses come packaged in and are designed to clean the lenses of their glasses. It's very soft and very good at buffing the screen.

I don't use a screen protector, so I find myself cleaning/buffing once a month or so.

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 02:01 AM
Once a month? Before I had a screen protector, I was wiping off the screen with my microfiber cloth about 5 times a day!

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Once a month? Before I had a screen protector, I was wiping off the screen with my microfiber cloth about 5 times a day!

That's what I use the air can for :D

Janak Parekh
05-07-2003, 02:43 AM
That's what I use the air can for :D
It's amazingly annoying how much a PDA screen can attract, isn't it... it's even worse with a PPC phone, whose screen is exposed much more than other PDAs. Trust me, I have experience on that. And, of course, you and I are in NYC, which is not known for lack of dust. (I assume you've stepped in a fashion-district warehouse a couple of times in your life... ;))

--janak

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 02:48 AM
It's amazingly annoying how much a PDA screen can attract, isn't it... it's even worse with a PPC phone, whose screen is exposed much more than other PDAs. Trust me, I have experience on that. And, of course, you and I are in NYC, which is not known for lack of dust. (I assume you've stepped in a fashion-district warehouse a couple of times in your life... ;))
--janak

Yeah and the phone has the face grease issue as well :( . I'm pretty diligent about squirting off my entire desktop with the air can daily. That's one of the best deals at Costco. And yes, aren't all those wonderful scraps of fabric dust just wonderful? And let's not forget all the pollen that's floating about right now getting kicked about by the buses and subways. But alas, I'm moving to DC this month (Sadly) and will miss all of that and then some of our fine city.

Janak Parekh
05-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Yeah and the phone has the face grease issue as well :(
That was fixed with one of those padded coverless cases from Vaja. :D

And let's not forget all the pollen that's floating about right now getting kicked about by the buses and subways.
Indeed. Subway dust rules, doesn't it? :lol:

But alas, I'm moving to DC this month (Sadly) and will miss all of that and then some of our fine city.
Indeed, you will :cry: Weren't you originally planning a cross-country trip to move to California or Seattle or something?

--janak

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Indeed, you will :cry: Weren't you originally planning a cross-country trip to move to California or Seattle or something?

--janak

Yes. Was planning on returning home this year, but there's been a change in venue for a bit. DC's no NYC, but it should be fun to explore just the same.

Gives me an excuse to have more time to refine my cross country tech gadgetry. Hopefully, by that time there will be an all in one that does everything I want it to...Including drive while I sleep. :zzz:

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good "naked ipaq" case, those Oakley cases are a perfect size to put your ipaq in and keep it clean and scratch free. You need the larger cloth case (There are 2 sizes).

Brad Adrian
05-07-2003, 03:10 AM
It's amazingly annoying how much a PDA screen can attract, isn't it...
Okay, which one of you tech-heads out there wants to explain (in terms that a meathead like me can understand) how/why screens like this and for my PC and notebook generate so much static electricity? I assume that's why they attract so much dust.

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 03:20 AM
It's amazingly annoying how much a PDA screen can attract, isn't it...
Okay, which one of you tech-heads out there wants to explain (in terms that a meathead like me can understand) how/why screens like this and for my PC and notebook generate so much static electricity? I assume that's why they attract so much dust.

It would seem to have something to do with the fact that the s"creen is "charged" to produce the image we see. Here's a web demo. (http://webphysics.davidson.edu/course_material/py230l_wc/demo/illustration22_4.html) It only covers the obvious, but I think you can start to draw some "meathead" like conclusions from it.

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 02:36 PM
It wasn't the dust that bothered me though it was that fact that it would smudge every time my finger came within 6 inches of it it seemed!

Janak Parekh
05-07-2003, 02:38 PM
It wasn't the dust that bothered me though it was that fact that it would smudge every time my finger came within 6 inches of it it seemed!
You'll get used to being obsessive about not touching your display. My officemates and myself almost scream at people who touch our computer or PDA displays now. ;)

--janak

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 02:41 PM
You'll get used to being obsessive about not touching your display. My officemates and myself almost scream at people who touch our computer or PDA displays now. ;)

--janak

Yes. It's true. I'm so glad to hear it's not just me. I get shivers anytime I see someone jab the screen with their digits. Especially when they point to something on a laptop screen and the LCD makes that funny looking impression area from where the offender pushed on it. MAKES ME MAD! :devilboy:

PetiteFlower
05-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Nah, I put on a Write Shield, fixed it right up :)

What's the point of having a touch screen if you can't TOUCH it!

Unreal32
05-07-2003, 03:34 PM
I touch my laptop screen all the time :) And yes, it makes that weird little bluish/yellowish spot when I do it. And I'm a software consultant. Someone said "what's the point of having a touch screen if you can't touch it?"... I say "What's the point of having a non-virtual screen if you can't touch it?" :lol:

Unreal32
05-07-2003, 03:35 PM
BTW, if anyone is looking for a good "naked ipaq" case, those Oakley cases are a perfect size to put your ipaq in and keep it clean and scratch free. You need the larger cloth case (There are 2 sizes).

Got a link to where we can find one of these??

bdegroodt
05-07-2003, 03:39 PM

Got a link to where we can find one of these??

Check out oakley.com. My guess is that if you don't buy a pair of glasses from them, you'll have to sweet talk your way into buying a case off them. Get the soft cloth "bag" not the hard case.

Kati Compton
05-07-2003, 04:47 PM

With my screen protector, the fingerprints aren't really a problem anymore. Which is good because half the time I use my fingertip as a stylus.