View Full Version : Newton Toiletpaper Roll?!?

Charles Pickrell
05-06-2003, 04:59 AM
For Pocket PC users familiar with the Newton's Notepad (aka Toiletpaper Roll) it is far superior to Pocket PC's NotePad.

http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/ToiletPaperRoll.gif

I've been thinking what would such an app look like on the Pocket PC if t were written.

http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/PaperTowelRoll.gif

What do you think? Have any suggestions?

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Charles,

This is exactly what I was getting at in a previous thread [http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11936&highlight=]

I would give a lot to have a similiar notepad for the Pocket PC. The Newton notepad was just soooo simple to use and it was really easy to find things etc.

I have looked at just about every notepad replacment out there but none of them come close to the good ol' Newt.

Goldtee

Brad Adrian
05-06-2003, 12:50 PM
I've never used Newton notepad. What are the specific features and functions that make it such a great product?

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Just adding to my previous response.

One of the things I really miss was the different notepad stationary that the Newton had. Particularly the to do and checklist stationary. Now if only I had some screenshots to show those poor souls who never owned a Newton what I mean.

Goldtee

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Anybody interested can check out pages 81-92 of the Newton manual in PDF format (I think it is for a Newton MP130 - but the notepad is the same on all the later Newtons) on Apples online archive:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0307258ANEWTONMP.PDF

The features of the Notepad were far in excess of what the PPC notepad provides. One feature that I partiularly liked was the ability to make a nested check list which you could tick off as you completed items. You could also collapse or expand entries.

Another great feature was the ability to draw shapes but have the Newton smooth them out. For example if you draw a pretty dodgy cirle the Newton would recognise what you were trying to draw and convert it into a nice smooth circle.

Goldtee

Goldtee

Unreal32
05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Someone write this program!!!

Bladefree21
05-06-2003, 01:50 PM
This also is pretty cool 8)

Notes Explorer (More Info) <- Click there (http://www.meshavi.com/product_ne.htm)

http://www.meshavi.com/images/NEPic.gif

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Just checked out Notes explorer and yes it does look like a pretty useful piece of software. The trouble, from my point of view, with this and pretty much every other notes replacement I have looked at is that they treat each note as an individual file. As Charles said in the very first post of this thread, one of the great things about Newton notes was the ability to scroll through all of the notes (or just a particular category) like one great big "toilet roll". For me the other great thing about the Newton Notes program was the simplicity and uncluttered nature of the interface (something that was true of the whole Newton OS).

Ahh I can dream that somebody will write this program...

Goldtee

Crystal Eitle
05-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Notes Explorer looks cool - I love it when people link to free apps like this.

I'd never considered being able to view notes in "tp roll" layout - that sounds incredibly useful.

Yeah, somebody write this, quick!

Charles Pickrell
05-06-2003, 04:26 PM
I've never used Newton notepad. What are the specific features and functions that make it such a great product?

Brad,

All the Newton apps were very organic feeling, something you can't show on a screenshot. Apple tried very hard to create a paper and pencil type of experience with the device.

On the Newton Notepad, some features that I love are:

- Positionable input Caret (^) that allows you to create freeform text blobs anywhere in a note (similar to MS OneNote).

- Ability to drag text blobs or image blobs around in a single note or between notes.

- Ability to scribble something out and watch it dissappear in a poof of smoke to reveal a clean writing space under the are where you scribbled

- Ability to create a new note or slice an existing Note in half by drawing a long line from left to right across the note

- Buttled and nested lists and checklists

- Ability to add third party stationery such as graph paper or phone memo, etc

I guess the only way to really appreciate it is to ask a Newton user to show you the notepad on his/her Newton.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make it look more Pocket PC while retaining it's Newton Notepad feel?

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 04:46 PM
As Charles said, the big thing with the Newton OS was/is the organic feel of all the built in Apps. In fact I was just playing around with my Old Newton MP2k the other day (taking some notes during a meeting) and was once again impressed with how successful Apple was in mimicing the experience of writing on a spiral notepad.

I took a bit of a ribbing from some of the other meeting participants about the size of my Newton but once I showed them the ease of writing in the notepad and using the shapes function (I mentioned above) to draw a diagram of a room layout they were sold!

As my signature says I love my PPC but (in many ways) the Newton (still) rules!

Goldtee

alex_kac
05-06-2003, 05:20 PM
What's funny...I have a Newton in my desk specifically to write an a memo app that would match feature for feature the Newton paper roll memo app.

In fact, PI has quite a few Newton inspired UI elements...though Notes isn't one of them yet.

I really like that mockup though...makes me want to go back to my design and start working on it again.

Nellwaskilled
05-06-2003, 05:43 PM
One great thing about Newton is the super consistent icon design.
True enough those icon design was borned out of the limitation of B/W and pixel density.

But the result, all the icons has to be carefully thought out, or it will turn into useless pixels blob. People also cannot draw as many icons compared to ultrasharp color screen which cause developer to be very discipline with icons use and try to be as consistent and minimalist as possible.

Now, PPC icons, are a crazy circus act. Sometimes I don't even know what the icon will do until I read the label.

Somebody should develop a "school of icon design" sort of like a movement. That icons and signs need to be very well designed, carefully thought, and consistent stylistically.

This is one thing, among many other the reason why Newton has that "Newton ' look.

Wouldn't it be incredible if we have a very well design icons and signs as Newton except in color? Current PPC use of colors and icons are approaching freak show.

Charles Pickrell
05-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Alex,

That would be great! I did the mock-up on my laptop, I'm sure you know that Photoshop on a laptop with a trackpad is like painting with your toes. I can sharpen it up on my desktop this eveing if you want. I can even go more to the PI ui.

Nellwaskilled,

I tried to colorize the Newton Icons, but they lost their charm when I did that. You are right that the Newton had a style about it and it's application software. You have to admit that Apple has always had wonderful UI and hardware design, whereas Microsoft appears to be inspired by Etch-A-Sketch toys. That is why the Notepad looks so weird with Pocket PC styled icons.

Nellwaskilled
05-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Some things I don't understand about PPC UI:

-Why do icons have to have all color of the rainbow. Take the mail icon: It has about 2 dozens colors, while the newton can get away with a strong B/W envelop icon. Now I realize when that turns into color it needs to be redesigned or else it'll look like cheap disposable calculator.

but the idea remain. If single tone color can be used across the entire row of icons. Why make those icons have 20 different color tones?

One lesson in statistical charting: Put most information with least amount of ink/color. If a nice simple black dot will do it, why use use shiny Las Vegas light bulb. The Challanger O-ring test data didn't get cought early because the data report was printed with all sort of fancy font and graphics eye candy while forgetting the idea of conveying information succinctly.

-What's with all the line boxes, borders, etc. What's wrong with empty space implying borders?

OK, I get off the soap box now. :D

Charles Pickrell
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
The Pocket PC is trying to take UI cues from Windows 95 and Windows XP to make the Pocekt PC experience similar to Windows. On the desktop this works fairly well with the icons of Widndows XP looking mroe like actual objects rather than cartoon representations of them. The problem with translating that to Pocket PC is that you are taking a 64x64 pixel icon and shrinking it down to 16x16 pixels. The small screen size of Pocket PC makes photo-realistic icons impracticle. I agree that Microsoft should move away from copying XP icons but creating stylized icons in low colors that closely represent their desktop counterparts.

I've been hearing that in Longhorn Icons will be 3-D and fully scalable to any size when it is finished in 2004.

Unreal32
05-06-2003, 08:32 PM
What's funny...I have a Newton in my desk specifically to write an a memo app that would match feature for feature the Newton paper roll memo app.

In fact, PI has quite a few Newton inspired UI elements...though Notes isn't one of them yet.

I really like that mockup though...makes me want to go back to my design and start working on it again.

Oh man... write it please! We'd buy it, Alex!

CTSLICK
05-06-2003, 10:16 PM

[conscience mode on] Must focus on next PI release...must focus on next PI release...must...focus...what was I doing just now? [conscience mode off] :lol:

Never laid hands on a Newton but this is an interesting concept. I need to check out that manual to see what this is all about.

Charles Pickrell
05-07-2003, 03:03 AM
Ok, here's a redo, with more of a PocketInformant look about it and MUCH less of a Newton look. Still not quite right.

http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/PaperTowelRoll2.gif

Brad Adrian
05-07-2003, 03:18 AM
This sounds like a great tool. One of the things I struggle with is quickly taking meeting notes. I usually type them in the Notes field of my Calendar entries, but that offers very spartan functionality. HPC Notes is pretty sophisticated and helps organize notes, but the learning curve is fairly steep (IMO). And Pocket Word just isn't designed to be a notes organizer.

Alex, if you were to build it, I bet they'd come.

Hyperluminal
05-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Yes, please write it. :) I have a Newton, but it's just too big to carry around often, and I'd like that functionality on my PPC....

Stephen Beesley
05-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Alex - Just write it! You would be recreating one of the best features of the Newton in PPC form. From lurking on various forums etc it seems to me that there are quite a lot of ex-Newton users out there that would be very interested in this type of app and I think it would appeal to the masses as well!

If you, or anybody else working on a Newton inspired app, would like any comments etc let me know. I may know zilch about writing such an app but I have used pretty much all the Newtons and have been using a PPC for a few years now so I would be happy to offer any help advice etc I can.

Goldtee

Stephen Beesley
05-07-2003, 08:17 AM
BTW - Charles, I really like the look of your mock ups of what it could look like on a PPC. Trouble is I cannot work out if I like the more Newton Look of the first go or the PI look of the latests...

Goldtee

Nellwaskilled
05-07-2003, 01:57 PM
wait wait...

not to pour rain on the parade,
but even from mock up screenie. that paperroll thing is getting awefully close to 'Notes explorer' and 'Tombo' functionality.

they all have basic functionality of:
1. creating notes
2. tree view of note stored.
3. ability to keep extending existing notes
4. manage notes
5. Tombo has encryption by notes.

so I don't see how the mock up can offers something new except having different look.

Stephen Beesley
05-07-2003, 02:41 PM
wait wait...

but even from mock up screenie. that paperroll thing is getting awefully close to 'Notes explorer' and 'Tombo' functionality.

they all have basic functionality of:
1. creating notes
2. tree view of note stored.
3. ability to keep extending existing notes
4. manage notes
5. Tombo has encryption by notes.

so I don't see how the mock up can offers something new except having different look.

Nellwaskilled- not to rain on your parade, but I think you are missing the point - or at least my point. Sure there are a lot of programs that allow you to create and manage notes but none of them duplicate the ability of Newton notes to use different types of stationary and (what for me is the key issue) see them all in one long roll. For me that is the point - I do not want a tree view.

Have a look at the link I posted earlier, if you have not already, and it might shed some light on what I am talking about.

Goldtee

Charles Pickrell
05-07-2003, 03:49 PM
wait wait...
but even from mock up screenie...

I think you are not grasping what you are seeing on the screenshot.

http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/PaperTowelRoll2.gif

The two items on the screen are both notes. The top one is a regular note that allows text and drawings. The second note is a checklist note that allows you to create checklists.

Under this could be a voice note, and under those more text, chedckbox, or outliner notes. When you press the up or down scroll button at the bottom of the screen the notes slide up or down the screen to reveal the next or previous note. Just like one large roll of paper. If you press the OK button at the top of the screen you would get a file listing of the seperate notes just like you do today in the Pocket PC Notes or Pocket Word applications. Bute when you open a note to view it, all the notes are still attached to that large paper roll and you can still get to them by scrolling up or down. And yes the Newton offers extendable stationery where third party programmers can add new types of stationery that add additional functionality.

I'd make an animated gif showing this but the GIF would be MUCH larger and I am hosting it on my personal web server.

Nothing like this exists on any PDA except for the Newton.

Stephen Beesley
05-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Charles - exactly!

Thank you for explaining Newton notes better than I was trying to :D

I would love to see an animated gif of this.

Goldtee

Nellwaskilled
05-07-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't get it.

so what's the difference between "roll of notes" and "roll of tree view"?

you just scroll up and down the tree to find the notes.
to which.... each note could be just infinitely long caboodles of drawings, text, voice)

which is exactly what things like tamboo/note explorer do. (well except for voice recording) But ADB idea does that. (different type of stationaries)

so it's just a matter of scrolling roll of notes or roll of tree lists representing notes to which you can click and then browse the notes that can be roll of notes too. Those notes can have linkers too.

I much rather have the ability to quick sort organize in treeview plus assorted formate of notes in same category, rather then one giant list of totally random subject but chronological notes.

(well maybe I am missing something of the Newton app, I thought originally it was jsut talking about the UI, instead of basic functions)

Charles Pickrell
05-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Nell,

I understand what you are saying about the treeview and I think it just comes down to preference. I would rather view my notes when scrolling rather than just the note names, but I do understand your preference to see titles in a treeview instead.

For those who are curious, here is a screenshot of Tobmo from:

http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/screenshot.html

http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/images/tombo_ppc_en.png

As you can see it is an entirely different interface. To organize notes in the Newton or in this concept you tap on the yellow folder icon and select a category. It is similar to how you store contacts in categories on the Pocket PC.

I usually take notes that are only one or two pages long in a meeting and the Newton Notepad worked wonderfully for that. The Pocket PC notepad does not and I find myself using yellow post-it notes instead.

onepieceman
05-07-2003, 09:52 PM
There's definitely room for a good note taking app. I've been trying to find one for ages. PI Alarm Notes are what come closest for me, and I really appreciate the sort by create time option in the 4.1 beta. That, the ability to categorise notes and filter on those categories, together with the preview pane means that you can very nearly do this paper roll trick, except that it doesn't look like a roll.
It seems to me that the essential difference is that you can't see two or three notes at the same time unless you have a paper roll interface. I think this works well if you take very short notes, and probably less well if you take longer notes, since then you can't easily fit more than one note on the screen at a time anyway. However, it would be great to have the choice of tree/preview and paper roll view.
If this functionality is being considered for a future version of PI, then I for one will be a very happy punter.

Stephen Beesley
05-08-2003, 08:11 AM
As Charles said I guess it is really a matter of preference. But I know that my preference is the Newton approach. One of the most useful things, for me anyway, was being able to quickly scroll through my notes when I could not remember what I had called the note I was after (I might not even have called it anything!). With a PPC with a jog wheel this would be even quicker.

In Newton Notes if it is a list view that you want then all you have to do is press the overview button and there you are with a list of all notes or by category.

Goldtee

Traveller
05-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Actually, I would love to see the Newton OS on an iPaq in color with the Pocket PC's connectivity. I guess I can always dream.

TheNewSteve
05-08-2003, 10:44 PM
I opened this thread thinking it was having something to do with those new paper thin rollable screen technology coming out.... kind of a frivolous use for it from the thread title, toilet paper, eh?

Well, it sounds cool.

I take "notes" in class, but they are more just what MS PocketWord does, but I would love it if "tasks" were integrated like this in pocket informant (or if it loaded a tad faster)...

in addition to seeing programs like this and MS Bathroom Wall (wouldn't that be fun, and no actual vandalism), it'd be nifty to see a Newton emulator for PPC. I've read that a Palm emulator exists.

At the very least you'd definitely be able to have all the functionality in one unit (i don't know about the connection functionality or if it would just run some programs internally...)

I also wish PocketInformant's new version integrated the mail program, ISMail or whatever. Is the upgrade free from v3.41

-Steve

Unreal32
05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
I'd love to see something like this, but especially if it could integrate the Notes from Outlook like HPC Notes does... I use HPC Notes now as my exclusive note taker because of its speed... much faster than any other notes app. Only drawback: InkNotes not supported, as far as I can tell. :(

Stephen Beesley
06-11-2003, 10:00 AM

Just reading back through some of my favourite old threads and was wondering whether this is still a possibility... ?

Goldtee

rhmorrison
06-11-2003, 10:46 AM
What do you think? Have any suggestions?
I also owned a Newton MP 130 for a short while. Although a brick compared to current PocketPC's some of the software already mentioned in this thread was far more intuative and useful than current PocketPC software. I especially liked the ability to quickly draw rectangles, circles, and triangels and have them turned into the proper object that could be copied, resized, rotated, etc.

I would be interested to know if the TabletPC Journal application can do this trick or not. I think we need to go more in the Newton direction for Pocket and Tablet PC's - specifically that the computer should support and enhance the way that people work and not the other way around.

Write a Newton-like notes application for a reasonable price and I will definately buy it!

Stephen Beesley
06-11-2003, 10:50 AM
I especially liked the ability to quickly draw rectangles, circles, and triangels and have them turned into the proper object that could be copied, resized, rotated, etc.

Write a Newton-like notes application for a reasonable price and I will definately buy it!

I am with you on both of those points :!:

Goldtee

Zensbikeshop
06-11-2003, 01:03 PM
What a great idea.

I have never played with a Newton but Apple seem to have always done a great job with UI.

I'd buy a version of this app from the Webis - I'm a PI fan (or will be when I get my PPC).

Charles:
I can host an animate dgif if you like - just PM me.

Bob Anderson
08-06-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm a little late to the party here... but...

I just got my hands on a Newton MP120, and let me just say... given that this device is 10 years old, Microsoft should buy each of the Windows Mobile developers one of these things and say.. the usability demonstrated by Newton is what we are after.

Good lord, this thing was designed 10 years ago!! And it can do some things so much better than my iPaq 5455!!!

I'm simply amazed.

I will not, however, switch full time to a Newton. The connectivity I can achieve with my iPaq is simply worth too much to me.

But, if Apple comes out with a 'new' Newton... I may have to switch sides here :?

Stephen Beesley
08-06-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm a little late to the party here... but...

I just got my hands on a Newton MP120, and let me just say... given that this device is 10 years old, Microsoft should buy each of the Windows Mobile developers one of these things and say.. the usability demonstrated by Newton is what we are after.

Good lord, this thing was designed 10 years ago!! And it can do some things so much better than my iPaq 5455!!!

Yes the sheer "useability" of the Newton OS was and is the Newton's great strength. The integration of functions was handled much better than in the PPC OS IMHO. I particularly liked the "routing" button which appears in pretty much every Newton App and allowed you to print, mail, file all from the one place. In fact there is stil a very strong newton user community out there and new apps are still being developed for it (check out the NewtonTalk mailing list http://www.newtontalk.net for example).

Technology wise the Newton has been left behind in a lot of ways (size, colour, etc) but it still does the things that it was designed to do (especially notetaking etc) with an ease that I have never been able to recreate on a PPC - a newton notes like app would certainly help though!

My Jornada 568 goes with me just about everywhere and it is probably the most used "gadget" I have ever owned, but as my sig says - I still love my Newton!

Goldtee

Perry Reed
08-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Heh... All this talk of Newtons and all the cool things they could do got me thinking; I've always wanted one, just to check it out.

So I went over to eBay to see what was there, and wouldn't you know it? There was an MP130 auction ending in three minutes!! So I bid on it, WON it, and sent my PayPal payment!

Now I've got a Newton on it's way to my house and all I have to do is explain it to my wife (who has been bugging me to sell of my collection of PDAs, not add to it!)

Stephen Beesley
08-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Heh... All this talk of Newtons and all the cool things they could do got me thinking; I've always wanted one, just to check it out.

So I went over to eBay to see what was there, and wouldn't you know it? There was an MP130 auction ending in three minutes!! So I bid on it, WON it, and sent my PayPal payment!

Now I've got a Newton on it's way to my house and all I have to do is explain it to my wife (who has been bugging me to sell of my collection of PDAs, not add to it!)

Ahhhhh memories.....

In a lot of ways the MP130 was my favourite Newton (I still have one laying around somewhere!). Although it did not have the speedy strong arm processor of the MP2ks and lacked last Newton's bells and wistles it was a very balanced device for its time. The HWR recognition still blows me away when I pull it out to have a play. If only Transcriber was half that good.

Goldtee

Jereboam
09-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Just chatting about notes applications over here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=164068#164068) and having read through this thread this sort of Newton application sounds like exactly what I am looking for...any news/updates on whether an attempt is going to be made to write such an app? One more buyer here for sure.

J'bm[/url]

Stephen Beesley
09-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Just chatting about notes applications over here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=164068#164068) and having read through this thread this sort of Newton application sounds like exactly what I am looking for...any news/updates on whether an attempt is going to be made to write such an app? One more buyer here for sure.

J'bm[/url]

Apart from the info earlier in this thread that PI might one day include some of the Newton Notes features I am afraid there does not look like being much chance of a revival.

Hopefully somebody will prove me wrong...

Goldtee

Stephen Beesley
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
In my still continuing quest to find the "perfect" (as is such a thing exists :D ) notepad tool for my PPC I have recently be testing out both PhatPad (http://www.paragraph.com/phatpad.html) and Derago dnote (http://www.derago.com/english.htm) and found quite a lot to like.

Phatpad has the ability (although a bit limited) to recognise shapes and a really nice UI. If only you could mix handwritten text and drawings in the same note.

http://www.paragraph.com/images/PhatPadAnim.gif

dNote, which obviously draws its inspiration from the Newton notes app discussed in this thread is simple to use and has the ability to quickly access an overview list of all notes and also to scroll back and forth between notes (using a bullet icon flanked by two arrows that is a direct take from the newton OS).

http://www.derago.com/Produkte/dNote.gif

Unfortunatley neither are quite there yet.

Hmmm - I think I can feel a review comming on..... Maybe a comparision of some of the available PPC note taking software Vs the good ol' Newton Notepad. Just so others can see what it is that I am missing. And maybe give some of those developers out there a kick in the right direction :twisted:

Any one thing this might be worthwile?

popabawa
03-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Any one think this might be worthwhile?

Heck yeah!

Given the interest shown on this thread I'm wondering if we could work with one of these guys to re-create the Newton experience.

A Newton v's the world review might be a good way to spark the interest.

Another approach might be to create our own open-source project to do it ourselves... Anyone?

(Not sure by less-than l33t VB.net skillz are up to it :wink: )

Iain.

Perry Reed
03-05-2004, 04:44 PM

Heck yeah!

Given the interest shown on this thread I'm wondering if we could work with one of these guys to re-create the Newton experience.

I think it's a great idea. In fact, it was this thread, when it first started, that prompted me to go buy a Newton off eBay. And I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it. If I had had one back in the day I think it would have replaced my HP 100LX as my PDA of choice. And even today, it gives Palm and Pocket PCs a run for the money with regards to ease of use and coolness factor.

Stephen Beesley
03-05-2004, 04:53 PM

Heck yeah!

I think it's a great idea. In fact, it was this thread, when it first started, that prompted me to go buy a Newton off eBay. And I gotta say, I'm very impressed with it. If I had had one back in the day I think it would have replaced my HP 100LX as my PDA of choice. And even today, it gives Palm and Pocket PCs a run for the money with regards to ease of use and coolness factor.

Well then I guess it is settled :D I better dust up my two Newtons - an MP130 (Like the one you have Perry) and an upgraded Message Pad 2000 (AKA a "uMP2k") this weekend and get down to writing.

One of the great things about the Newton (and one of the many things that contributed to their cost) was the non-volitile RAM that they use. Even though I haven't powered either of them up in far too long I know that it is just a case up putting in a charged up battery pack (or some fresh AAs) and everything will be just as I left it!

popabawa
03-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Re-reading this thread prompted me to get my Newton 120 out have a play.

Tell you what, if a 'Newton 200x' ever got released, I'll be the first to defect and I've been a Pocket PC / CE fanboy since my Philips Nino!

Imagine all that Newtoney goodness with a hi-res colour VGA screen and a great user interface <drool>

Beginning to resent my 2210 now... :devilboy:

Stephen Beesley
03-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Re-reading this thread prompted me to get my Newton 120 out have a play.

Tell you what, if a 'Newton 200x' ever got released, I'll be the first to defect and I've been a Pocket PC / CE fanboy since my Philips Nino!

Imagine all that Newtoney goodness with a hi-res colour VGA screen and a great user interface <drool>

Beginning to resent my 2210 now... :devilboy:

Those are the exact sentiments that still keep a very active Newton community going over six years since the Newton was "Jobsed". The NewtonTalk (http://www.newtontalk.net) mailing list still has about 2000 members and it hosts a very active discussion with a suprising amount of continued development going on.

Perry Reed
03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Well then I guess it is settled :D I better dust up my two Newtons - an MP130 (Like the one you have Perry) and an upgraded Message Pad 2000 (AKA a "uMP2k") this weekend and get down to writing.

Great! I can' twait to read it. By the way, what does the uMP2k have or do that the MP130 doesn't? Maybe I should upgrade... :)

I dig your icon, too.

Stephen Beesley
03-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Great! I can' twait to read it. By the way, what does the uMP2k have or do that the MP130 doesn't? Maybe I should upgrade... :)

I dig your icon, too.

The MP2000 and the MP2100 were the last and greatest of the Newtons (not counting the eMate, which was a mini laptop education orientated derivative). The only difference between them was the amount of system Memory: 5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) in an MP2k vs 8MB of RAM (4MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) in an upgraded MP2k or an MP2100. The DRAM was system RAM for running programs etc, with the Flash Ram being for the User. I know it sounds like nothing compared to a 128MB Ipaq but remember that Newton programs tended to be very small.

The MP2k and MP2100 had a bigger screen than the MP130 both in size and in pixles being 480x320 at 100DPI. It aslo has two PMCIA card slots (one for memory one for a wifi card if you like!). The processor is a Strongarm running at 160Mhz.

Well I had better leave something for my review, but that should give you a taste. While I will try to concentrate on the apps (particularly the notepad of course) I think it is worth highlighting the fairly impressive hardware for a machine which was on sale in 1996.

JamesM
09-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Well, I'm not sure if this qualifies as Newton emulation, but take a look at this:

http://www.evernote.com/en/products/evernote/

From the website:
EverNote innovates by storing content on an endless, virtual roll of paper. You can quickly scroll chronologically through your notes similar to scanning through handwritten notes in a notebook.

Beta to begin mid October. I want to try this!!
-James

billbuckner
09-13-2004, 08:12 PM
As a long time Newt user, this looks neat.