View Full Version : Game of Choice

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 04:17 PM
If you could put only one game (other than solitaire) on your Pocket PC, what would it be and why?

Assume that neither price nor memory is a problem.

My current favorite is Diamond Mine, because it's easy to play, doesn't take a long time to play and can be played while doing other things, like watching TV, attending weekly staff meetings at work, etc.

Patt
05-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Pocket Slay!!!!!!

For sure, I play it everyday.

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Pocket Slay!!!!!!

I've never heard of it. What is it?

rhmorrison
05-05-2003, 04:41 PM
If you could put only one game (other than solitaire) on your Pocket PC, what would it be and why?
ONLY ONE? It's a game NOT a Lay's Potatoe Chip!

In any case, my most important game is Chess Genius v1.4 to record and analyze my tournament chess games. The most fun game is Snails v1.9b (which only cost $4.95) and I am anxiously awaiting the PocketPC version of Worms World Party which is supposed to be released this summer!

I LOVE THAT GAME :ppclove:

Don't Panic!
05-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Young Paladin Pinball from CEcraft. Pinball is always fun in a pinch. I agree with rhmorrison though, JUST ONE! are you crazy maisie!

Don't Panic!
Bobby

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 06:01 PM
I agree with rhmorrison though, JUST ONE! are you crazy maisie!

It's my little way of making sure you really name your favorite. :wink:

Kaber
05-05-2003, 06:44 PM
I love NetHack (http://nethack.org/v341/ports/download-wince.html) for WinCE. Always an adventure. Lather, rinse, repeat.

rberry88
05-05-2003, 07:05 PM
I would have to go with one of the following two for reasons specified:

1. Pocket Everquest I & II - For the short run because eventually I will finish them, hopefully.
8O
2. Microsoft Entertainment Pack - and if I only got to choose one game from the 8-10 then it would be Teipei. Simply addicting. :D

rberry88 0X

Patt
05-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Pocket Slay is a strategy boardgame type game. Graphics are so-so, but game play is right on. The author allows the user to change the games apperance and sounds - which is kinda fun.

www.windowsgames.co.uk

Edit: Ooops, spelled the url wrong. Sorry!

blazingwolf
05-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Your link for slay is broken. Here it is (http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/slay.html).

piperpilot
05-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Young Paladin Pinball from CEcraft. Pinball is always fun in a pinch.

Is pinball easy to play on a PPC? The directional button on my 5455 is very small. Is the game play fluid enough to really feel like you're playing pinball?

disconnected
05-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Right now I'm kind of addicted to Cropped Out, which I bought after I got tired of the chickens in the free Egghead game. I'm not very good at it though. My high score is about 60,000 and in their list of high scores on the clickgamer website someone has a score of 31 million.

Brad Adrian
05-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Definitely Scrabble.

Crystal Eitle
05-05-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted to Emperor's Mahjong from Hexacto. I've spent hours playing it (literally - it keeps track of how much time you've spent playing the game :? ). There are 70 levels and I'm not even halfway through yet. It's easy at first, but gradually gets more challenging, and the different layouts keep it fresh. The graphics are nice, too. I think it's a lot of fun (even if it is starting to get frustrating).

wizardmaster2k
05-06-2003, 02:09 AM
diamond mine...... good stuff :)

willchap
05-06-2003, 02:22 AM
I would love to be able to play Pente on my ppc.

Sheynk
05-06-2003, 02:26 AM
hhhmmm

i guess it would have to be....._drumrolls_ interstellar flames and maybe everquest

Foo Fighter
05-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Hard to say really, since there are so many kick ass games for PPC. But for me Argentum and EverQuest 1 & 2 rock my world. :rock on dude!:

welmoed
05-06-2003, 02:30 AM
My current fave is Scorpion solitaire. Very addictive.

--Welmoed

kaiden.1
05-06-2003, 02:50 AM
Spellbound :D

All Word games Rule! They can be played even when your short on time. I'm always thinking about words of some sort!

yvilla
05-06-2003, 03:13 AM
I constantly go back and forth between Pocket Mahjongg and Bobble.

Hugh Nano
05-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Hard decision. Pocket Slay is very, very good, and is excellent for a quick pick-up strategy game. But, I think for strategic depth and for infinite replay value, I would have to go instead with Pocket War by MetalShard (http://www.metalshard.com). It started out as a clone of my all-time favourite strategy game, Empire/Empire Deluxe, but has evolved into something even better! There's just nothing like exploring and conquering an infinite variety of new worlds using a wide variety of air, land, and sea units to really give one a feeling of ultimate power!

Ainvar
05-06-2003, 03:16 AM
I would have to say Pocket Slay, something I can play whenever and just close the game without having to pause it, stop it, wait on the cpu to get done making its move. It is also something I can leave on a storage card and not worry about it when I do a hardreset.

I only have one thing I do not like about it though. I author was suppose to put in multiplayer for the ppc and has never gotten around to it.

Ainvar
05-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Hard decision. Pocket Slay is very, very good, and is excellent for a quick pick-up strategy game. But, I think for strategic depth and for infinite replay value, I would have to go instead with Pocket War by MetalShard (http://www.metalshard.com). It started out as a clone of my all-time favourite strategy game, Empire/Empire Deluxe, but has evolved into something even better! There's just nothing like exploring and conquering an infinite variety of new worlds using a wide variety of air, land, and sea units to really give one a feeling of ultimate power!

You posted this as I posted Pocket Slay, I really did forget about this one since it is one I just purchased and have not really gotten into that much yet. This is one I have enjoyed but have not thought of it as a favorite yet.

Hugh Nano
05-06-2003, 03:19 AM
I would have to say Pocket Slay...
I only have one thing I do not like about it though. I author was supposed to put in multiplayer for the ppc and has never gotten around to it.

"Hot-seat" multiplayer is available in the latest Pocket PC version, although network play is unfortunately not available on the Pocket PC. Two other features in the desktop version that I wish the author would add to the Pocket PC version are the enemy offering to surrender when all is obviously lost and the ability to save games. Still a great game, though!

Hugh Nano
05-06-2003, 03:21 AM

You posted this as I posted Pocket Slay, I really did forget about this one since it is one I just purchased and have not really gotten into that much yet. This is one I have enjoyed but have not thought of it as a favorite yet.

Very interesting. You posted a reply to my post as I was posting a reply to yours! Looks like we have similar tastes. Up for a multiplayer game of Pocket War, perchance?

heov
05-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Argentum: THIS IS WAR!

I am addicted to this game :)

www.ionside.com

rooks308
05-06-2003, 03:41 AM
I would have to say Final Fantasy 1 on my poke' nes emulator. I am the proud owner of the original NES cart, but obviously the trusty nes looks somewhat out of place next to the x-box and Cube, so the pocket emulator works great. Also with the frame skip walking around and leveling don't take quite as long so it's much more fun(if that's possible). I must say that I still have yet to find a final fantasy that keeps me coming back to it like the very first one, FF7 came close but theres just something about that first one.....

Current team [fighter, fighter, red mage, white mage], just about to get honored by bahaumut.... :D

felixdd
05-06-2003, 04:24 AM
Something that's easy to get into for a quick fix of fun: Egghead.

langleyt
05-06-2003, 05:37 AM
Second vote for Pocket Slay. Addiction central! :way to go:

arebelspy
05-06-2003, 07:55 AM
I was going to say Slay. But Conquest by the same author (find the link on the first page of this thread) is also amazing. It's standard risk... and then you can customize the maps! There are some AWESOME ones uploaded on their site, too.

This "galaxy" one is cool - if you control a contenant of like 8 territories it's worth 5, but if you control the middle - just 1 territory - it's worth 10. but the contenents are only surrounded by a few other countries.. and ANYTHING can attack the middle... but the middle can't attack anything.. so do you go for the middle? or continants? or what?

As you can tell from my two choices, I love strategy games. ;)

[quote=Ainvar]I wish the author would add to the Pocket PC version are the enemy offering to surrender when all is obviously lost

Once it's clear I've won I just hit edit>automove a half dozen times til the game is over to speed it along. Even though it does stupid moves, it doesn't matter once you've clearly won.

-arebelspy

Gerard
05-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Bonelyfish's (http://www.geocities.com/bonelyfish/) DeepDownRace. I've spent more time in this cute little game than in any other, and I've tried a lot of games, both modern and emus. Doom and Quake held my attention for a while, but they really take over everything, from memory to over-much time spent trying to figure things out. With DDR you just dig, and dig.... lots of fast reflex stuff needed, jumping all over to avoid getting beaned with a falling rock and to catch the falling oxygen bubbles which are few and far between at times. Every 500 feet there's a new image to fall past.
But it seems I'm the only one, from the fact that no one else has every posted a high score there. And my high score hasn't been updated, though I got up to over 183,000 and sent in my proof.
Whatever, I just think innocent little games like this rule. Just the right mix of light hearted action and impending death, with the little guy pausing once in a while to pull out a hanky and wipe the sweat from his brow. I played Palladin Pinball for a while, but tired of it. It was smooth for the most part, with the odd tiny hesitation. Don't play much of anything on the iPAQ, as the D-pad stinks so bad on the 38xx with all those click-clicks on left/right navigation. My Casio EG-800 is a gaming monster, and I've over 30 games installed on a card for it.

TopDog
05-06-2003, 08:04 AM
There is no question for me... there's one game I keep turning back to; Snails (http://www.snailsgame.com)!

jizmo
05-06-2003, 08:20 AM
On emulators, it would have to be Civilization, running on Atari ST emu.. Every game is unique.

On PPC side I would have to say Hyperspace Dev Boy, it's a fun game, althought it doesn't have that much of a replay value :)

/jizmo

qmrq
05-06-2003, 08:23 AM
ONLY ONE? It's a game NOT a Lay's Potatoe Chip!

In any case, my most important game is Chess Genius v1.4 to record and analyze my tournament chess games. The most fun game is Snails v1.9b (which only cost $4.95) and I am anxiously awaiting the PocketPC version of Worms World Party which is supposed to be released this summer!

I LOVE THAT GAME :ppclove:

hmm? You don't have tournament organizers all over you when you get out your handheld to record games?

cherring
05-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Rayman Ultimate.

I have 3 games on my PPC, Metallion, Argentum and Rayman Ultimate, but Rayman is the only one I play. P.S. Anyone know where I can get some cheats? I'm hopelessly addicted but I joined the game revolution too late, I'm a poor player.

Len Egan
05-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I'll take Everquest! Interesting quests, decent graphics, good storyline. Hours of fun and suspense!

rdbailey
05-06-2003, 11:36 AM
I LOVE PocketWar. I've been addicted since about the .92 version. Tully does an update every now and then on the game :lol:

rhmorrison
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
hmm? You don't have tournament organizers all over you when you get out your handheld to record games?
I'm referring to Team Tournaments, 8 Men vs 8 Men, 1 game.
For a 'real' multi-round tournament I have to keep paper copies until the tournament is over because YES someone over here in Germany was caught cheating using "Pocket Fritz 2" on his PocketPC. And he was the club trainer for youung players - very embarrising for his chess club!
:iamwithstupid:

Unreal32
05-06-2003, 01:20 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted to Emperor's Mahjong from Hexacto. I've spent hours playing it (literally - it keeps track of how much time you've spent playing the game :? ). There are 70 levels and I'm not even halfway through yet. It's easy at first, but gradually gets more challenging, and the different layouts keep it fresh. The graphics are nice, too. I think it's a lot of fun (even if it is starting to get frustrating).

I love that game too. I finished all the levels, except for one! (The one at about 5:00 on the dial at the top level.) Very frustrating, since it appears it can't be finished!

However, the one I always go back to is DiamondMine. Ultimate replay value. I like NeoTiles because the experience is always different, too, except it doesn't save your scores or let you save a game and come back to it. (So you have to remember your best score.)

Talyn
05-06-2003, 01:42 PM
I like Diamond Mine, though I prefer Cropped Out over it, because it allows diagonal movement, which just seems to make sense. I get so annoyed in DM when there are several openings if only if would allow diagonal movement!

I just picked up Cold Fuzion too, seems fun enough so far?

Otherwise, Snails and Argentum always have a place on my PPC.

What I'd love to find is some good word games or crosswords. I tried Resco's Wordgame but it never works on my Axim - can't find the dictionary or some such error, even though it shows it is installed.

Stephen Beesley
05-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Hmmm let me see.

Well I love pocket slay (as do many others by the sound of it) - very addictive and reminds me a lot of a paper and pen game I used to play a long long time ago!

Pocket War looks like another worthy contender I spend many hours playing the old Empire DOS game when I was at University (meant to be studying!) so I really must give that a go sometime.

But for me the one and only at this stage woul have to be Age of Empires, especially now that the latest version has fixed the pathfinding. I am suprised nobody else has nominated it.

Goldtee

xbalance
05-06-2003, 03:05 PM
The one game I keep playing is Emerald Hunt. I used to be addicted to the game Emerald Mine when I had an Amiga 500 back in 1988. What can I say, I'm old.

EvilOne
05-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I would have to say PocketWar is the one I play alot. I used to play PocketSlay, but it just got boring. And of course, on the desktop I am addicted to Civ III/Play the world!

moaske
05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Odyssey by AIM Productions.be (http://www.aimproductions.be/ppc_catalogue_title.asp?product_id=103) :rock on dude!:
I'm addicted to this great space-shooter game that's a little like the ancient RiverRaid on the C64. It has awesome 3D grafics and a very cool midi-tune running while you play.
Too bad they didn't put in the option to save games... :(

Crystal Eitle
05-06-2003, 03:18 PM
What I'd love to find is some good word games or crosswords. I tried Resco's Wordgame but it never works on my Axim - can't find the dictionary or some such error, even though it shows it is installed.

Handmark Scrabble is the best, even if it is kind of expensive. They have a demo version that lets you play 10 games - have you tried that out yet?

bcaray
05-06-2003, 03:26 PM
The game that I keep going back tp is Text Twist. I love the word games and the fact that you can quit the game if there is work to be done and then come right back to it the next time you want to play. The only problem is that if the game is running in the background the timer is running as well. There is very little that is more frustrating than having your time run out because you forgot to close the game.

zoomer777
05-06-2003, 03:28 PM
There are games other than Solitaire that you can play on this thing??????!!!!!!!!!!!! Why hadn't I heard about this before!

8O

yawanag
05-06-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm addicted to Word Games and Bobble was my favorite until Word-O-Matic came along. I'm ashamed to say it because I thought it such an immature game until I got so addicted that I play it every chance I get and that one is "Egghead."

I'm still in search of a genuine PacMan game that I can play with the scroll buttons and not the stylus.

Gerard
05-06-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm still in search of a genuine PacMan game that I can play with the scroll buttons and not the stylus.

Huh? I've never used the stylus to play PacMan! Microsoft's port of PacMan (edit: sorry, I guess I should credit Larry Bank, the guy who actually ported it) is excellent, and I've had it since the old GamePack came out for free, just for asking for it by sending in a Pocket PC registration card in mid-2000. Runs fine on my iPAQ 3835 and on the Casio 3835. The newer devices need a slightly newer gx.dll file in the folder with the program, but the one from the Pocket TV install works fine, so that's a non-issue. Still, I don't often play it. The 'music' makes me nauseous. Now, if they'd ported Pong, that'd have me seriously addicted. That ancient, quiet game had me spellbound back in '78, over at a friend's house on her crappy old wooden TV. The silence, punctuated by those little computerish noises, thinking of it makes me all sentimental. Cubicle Chaos just isn't the same. And the couple of other ports I've seen stink, nothing like the original.

felixdd
05-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm ashamed to say it because I thought it such an immature game until I got so addicted that I play it every chance I get and that one is "Egghead."

Don't be ashamed -- there are others like you out there (i.e. me :D)

ghostppc
05-06-2003, 05:50 PM
The game that I really want has not been migrated over to ppc yet. I want a full version of Super Mario Brothers, and not one running off of an emulator. But of those that do exist, Turjah II would have to be my pick because of the smooth scrolling, music and sound effects. :way to go:

Kaber
05-06-2003, 06:03 PM
I would have to say Final Fantasy 1 on my poke' nes emulator.
Current team [fighter, fighter, red mage, white mage], just about to get honored by bahaumut.... :D

Besides NetHack (http://www.nethack.org) I have a save game of FF1 I play on PokeNES (http://pocketnes.retrogames.com/) also. I'm playing all white mages. Man, its tough. Btw, Super Mario Brothers runs perfect with sound on my iPAQ using PokeNES... everyone loves to play it.

If we're going to include emulators, I also play a lot of games on Pocket C64 (http://clickgamer.com/moreinfo.htm?pid=4). Action Biker!

draklava
05-06-2003, 07:17 PM
I have to put in my vote for DevilDarts (http://darts.divinevibe.com/)!

As far as ports that I would love to see - any Civilization would be great as would Heroes of Might and Magic.

As far as other games Diamond Mine is always a fun diversion. Guess that's more than one game heh...

spursdude
05-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Another vote for Snails... it never gets old, and provides endless hours of fun.

delfuhd
05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Connect 4 woohoo!

But I can't find any links for that game. poo :cry: :(

ghostppc
05-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Connect 4 woohoo!

But I can't find any links for that game. poo :cry: :(

There are a couple different variations of it on the Handango site.

Sean O'Connor
05-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Pocket Slay is a strategy boardgame type game. Graphics are so-so, but game play is right on. The author allows the user to change the games apperance and sounds - which is kinda fun.

www.windowsgames.co.uk

Thanks for mentioning my games PocketSlay and PocketConquest! I'm thinking of writing a new Pocket PC game this summer and I'll probably do a version of the board game Stratego. I'd be interested to know what people think, or if they've got another favourite strategy game they're keen on.

Sean.

BiGO
05-10-2003, 12:17 AM
I am playing Tennis Addict nowadays. Playing with the stylus makes it easier and the game is really good. Recommended to the tennis lovers...