View Full Version : Why use CF over SD?

sswany
05-05-2003, 10:08 AM
As I wait for my NetGear WiFi card to come in the mail, I'm wondering why I want to continue to use my CF storage card. I like to keep my files and such on the CF card as well as the AvantGo storage folder, but if I have to use the CF slot for the NetGear, they CF storage card does me no good.

Is it price that keeps CF so wanted? Speed? Both? I've kind of read discussions about this before, but never really payed that much attention. Also, with the newer high-capacity CF cards coming out, what is the biggest that the SD market has hit? What's it going to hit?

I'm kind of thinking that I want to use an SD card for storage, so that I can use the CF slot for other things. What is everyone else doing?

thanks for the help guys.

TopDog
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Is it price that keeps CF so wanted? Speed? Both? I've kind of read discussions about this before, but never really payed that much attention. Also, with the newer high-capacity CF cards coming out, what is the biggest that the SD market has hit? What's it going to hit?
The CF is cheaper, and most digital camera's use it, that's reason no. One that it stays in business. Reason two is the size of memory, you get a lot more memory on CF than SD. I think the largest SD is 512MB now...

CF is also supposed to be a little bit faster, not that I have seen any performance difference between my 128MB SD and 256MB CF...

What it's going to hit? Well, I don't think even God nows that... My guess is that we'll see 1GB on SD's within the year!

prismejon
05-05-2003, 12:49 PM
When more stuff that's compatible with SDIO comes we'll be able to select witch port to use for storage (asuming you've got both SDIO and CF slots).

It's a little stupid that currently CF provides the cheapest and fastest storage and most of the add-ons.

Unreal32
05-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Also, CF doesn't seem to have the occasional "disk not formatted" problem that some SD users are reporting (me for one). You can slap a CF into a PCM card adapter, add files to it, and not have to worry about whether your PPC will recognize the card when you put it back in the CF slot.

Don't Panic!
05-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Price and capacit keep me using. I got a Type II 1 gig drive for $208 that's over 150 dollars cheaper than the 1 gig IBM Microdrive I purchased a couple of years ago.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

sracer
05-05-2003, 05:14 PM
My Audiovox Maestro has both SD and CF slots. I use the SD slot for a memory card and install all of my apps to that and never remove it. I use the CF card for "removable media" such as music and movie files...and the occasional emulator rom. This allows me to swap out the CR memory card for a WiFi or modem card and still have full "functionality" (the apps are on SD).

Since there is currently a wider variety of CF-based adapters/devices, I will continue to operate in this mode. As SD becomes a more viable choice for expansion options, then I will probably reverse the roles...