View Full Version : Getting started VB.net or C#?

lderooy
05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
I have been a (virtual) VB programmer since VBDos and now finally have Visual Studio. Naturally I think I should delve into VB.Net but was wondering if I should instead move toward C#. Is there any advantage of one over the other? I'm not asking for personal preferences but was wondering if someone could give feedback if there are things you can do in C# that one cannot do in VB.Net specifically related to PocketPC programming.

JohnnyFlash
05-05-2003, 03:11 AM
They are both a means to the same end: using the Frameworks. Just use the language you are most comfortable with.

bblock
05-05-2003, 06:21 AM
I'm only an intermediate developer (mostly in VB6), but from what I've been hearing (I work with many developers), VB.NET has changed enough that learning C# will stand you in better stead in the long term. There's going to be a learning curve either way, and most of it is with the framework itself, not a particular language syntax. Having said that, the syntax in VB now more closely matches C#, so if you're going to re-learn that part, it's not a much bigger jump to get right into C# and be able to take advantage of its powerful features.

I'm learning C# right now, and every time I get flustered, I look at VB.NET code, and see some of the same issues.

Just my $0.02.

=======
BryHawks

prismejon
05-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Well a good argument for C# is that it's quite similar to Java. With my java knowledge I could program in C# straight away. Guess this works both ways (except for GUI developement which is incredible easy in C# using VS.NET).

lderooy
05-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks, for your input. I guess I will take a little time to look at both languages for syntax etc. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being bi-lingual!