View Full Version : Timing for PocketPC 2003

Busdriver
05-02-2003, 03:37 PM
It's looking as though I may have to retire my trusty E-125 and I have a pretty good idea of what features I want, but not when I want it.

I guess my question is, for all you industry insiders, WHEN is PocketPC 2003 going to be released. Is it safe to assume that any current device that has flash ROM will be upgradeable?

Pat Logsdon
05-02-2003, 04:00 PM
From all of the posts scattered around this site and others, I'd peg the release date as sometime in June. I've also heard that it's going to be an evolutionary upgrade (bug fixes, updates, etc.), so it should be safe to say that there should be room on any device with 64mb ROM.

Pony99CA
05-02-2003, 05:06 PM
I guess my question is, for all you industry insiders, WHEN is PocketPC 2003 going to be released. Is it safe to assume that any current device that has flash ROM will be upgradeable?
If people who knew could say when the release date was, don't you think that would have been front page news? :-) Everybody else will just be guessing.

As for whether you can upgrade, that's an OEM decision. See the "Upgrading the Pocket PC Operating System" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8923) where this was hashed over in great detail. Jason has asked us to refer questions like yours there.

Steve

gwinter
05-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Was at the bookstore today flipping through the German version of Pocket PC Magazine. In the last page, it is mentioned that the next issue will have a feature on Pocket PC 2003, and the magazine will be available on sale from 30th June onwards. Not sure about the exact date, but from the magazine and other hints, seems that it will be announced around June.

Excited about the 9 Series Media Player, hopefully with support for the new video codec as well. 0X

Busdriver
05-03-2003, 04:08 PM
If people who knew could say when the release date was, don't you think that would have been front page news? Everybody else will just be guessing.

To borrow some of my 14 yr old's vernacular: Well, duh. :wink:

All I was looking for were some educated guesses. Thanks for the link, though. I'm too lazy to use the search function.

John