View Full Version : Newbie h1910 - PXA255 or PXA250?

zipmail
05-02-2003, 07:55 AM
OK - I am getting confuse here. I just bought a h1910 and in the Settings > About > Version the processor is listed as Intel PXA255. I thought h1910 were PXA250 and checking HP website it says PXA 250.

Am I missing something here?

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 08:14 AM
OK - I am getting confuse here. I just bought a h1910 and in the Settings > About > Version the processor is listed as Intel PXA255. I thought h1910 were PXA250 and checking HP website it says PXA 250.

Am I missing something here?

Well from what I hear the h1910 is suppose to be 300mhz PXA 250 not 255. But hey see if you can get a screen shot and post it. Also where did you buy your h1910 from :?:

zipmail
05-02-2003, 09:05 AM
OK - I got a screenshot of it but where do I post it to? I can't seem to upload it directly to this forum. I got the h1910 in Singapore. It is most certainly a PXA255 running at 200mHz but I just bought XCPUScalar to bump it up.

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 10:04 AM
When you post a respone look at the tools at the top of the screen and click the 'Img' icon to insert the pic.

Pony99CA
05-02-2003, 01:54 PM
When you post a respone look at the tools at the top of the screen and click the 'Img' icon to insert the pic.
That will only work if the image is already online. If zipmail can't put the screen shot online, the IMG tag won't help.

Steve

zipmail
05-03-2003, 03:31 AM
No, the image is not online. What do I do or where can I get an online site to host it? But what I really want to know is why does it say PXA255 when the HP sites say otherwise. Not that I am complaining getting a newer and improved chip!

Jacob
05-03-2003, 04:21 AM
Someone at Brighthand did post a screenshot here (http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78156)

Pony99CA
05-03-2003, 08:13 AM
But what I really want to know is why does it say PXA255 when the HP sites say otherwise.
There are probably 1910s still out there with the old PXA250, so HP doesn't want to promise something that everybody might not get. Also, if they announced that newer 1910s would ship with the PXA255, who would buy the older 1910s?

Steve

zipmail
05-04-2003, 05:58 AM
I guess HP has the right to release machines powered with newer chips and they probably did not mention anything about it as the performance may have not been much of a difference from the older ones - though some people have ran benchmarks and it showed marginal performance improvement. The funny thing is they also dropped the price of h1910 when these new ones came out. Maybe they are paving the way for the h2200 to come in at the old h1910 price point.

If I bought one with the older processor to find that the latest shipment of h1910 comes in with newer chips at a lower price I will be pretty pissed as a customer - as some are over at Brighthand! That's technology for you. It's become a commodity and the moment the register goes kachiing the model you just bought is already obsolete.

Pony99CA
05-04-2003, 01:40 PM
If I bought one with the older processor to find that the latest shipment of h1910 comes in with newer chips at a lower price I will be pretty pissed as a customer - as some are over at Brighthand!
Why would you be upset? You would have gotten a machine that did just what you expected and had everything that was promised. It might not be better than you expected, but so what? You would have gotten what you paid for.

As for lower prices, that happens. I hate to pay more than I have to, too, but that's the chance you take.

Steve

zipmail
05-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Why would you be upset? You would have gotten a machine that did just what you expected and had everything that was promised. It might not be better than you expected, but so what? You would have gotten what you paid for.

Pony - why can't I get pissed off if I bought a machine that had an older processor at a higher price? What's with your preaching? Strange that you should even answer your own question - yeah, it may not be better than what I expected so that is a good reason to be upset, no?

Jacob
05-05-2003, 03:32 AM

Pony - why can't I get pissed off if I bought a machine that had an older processor at a higher price? What's with your preaching? Strange that you should even answer your own question - yeah, it may not be better than what I expected so that is a good reason to be upset, no?

How was he preaching?

I don't see it - you can be pissed off at whatever you want, even that the sky is blue if you want. Pony was trying to give you another way to look at it (correct me if I'm wrong Pony). No reason to get pissed off at him...

Pony99CA
05-05-2003, 04:47 PM
How was he preaching?

I don't see it - you can be pissed off at whatever you want, even that the sky is blue if you want. Pony was trying to give you another way to look at it (correct me if I'm wrong Pony). No reason to get pissed off at him...
You got it the first time, Jacob. Anyone can get pissed, but what point does it serve?

I bought a new laptop in March, and got what I thought was a good deal for it. I can probably get a better laptop for less now, but should I be pissed over that?

Technology moves on, prices come down. The best you can do is be informed about the technology, shop around for the best price and buy when you feel you're getting a good value. If you find out later that you didn't do your homework, whose fault is that? ;-)

Steve

rooks308
05-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Yeah... with the way technology moves if anything I'd be happy that the price is coming down and the equipment is getting better. If it wasn't for the way technology changes we wouldn't have low cost pocket pc's like we do today and the price wouldn't be so friendly. I bought my 5450 only a few months ago and I am very happy to see the new Ipaq coming to replace it. I know that it may not be something that everybody does but when the new Ipaq with 128 MB of onboard ram comes out ill "Happily" be putting my 5450 on ebay. Then Ill be ordering the new one. Impractical... maybe, but I like to stay with the curve. That's the price that I "realize that i WILL pay" to keep with the newest technology. It doesn't really help anthing to be mad at the manufacturers for improving at a fast pace. :)