View Full Version : Playlist order

binstpa
05-01-2003, 08:01 PM
I just bought a 2 CD book on CD and ripped it using a 3rd party ripper so I have 33 mp3 files. When I transfered it to my ppc the files would not play. Also, the order was incorrect and I couldn't seem to order them. I just copied the files onto my SD card. Do you have to do through WMP or are there other ways. Can someone help me on this. Thanks.

Abba Zabba
05-02-2003, 06:10 AM
I dunno what is worng if you followed all the necessary steps correctly. But if you like you could just use windows media player and convert it into .wma files and then xfr that over to your SD card :mrgreen:

dh
05-02-2003, 03:19 PM
I don't know much about WMP, never really used it. I'm pretty sure it should play mp3 files though.

However, if you were to download PocketMVP (which is free by the way) you can set up playlists to play the tracks in any order you wish.

I'm sure WMP has the same feature, just need to find the person to help. If not, just do a search on PocketMPV do a quick download and you are in business.

kfluet
05-02-2003, 11:55 PM
However, if you were to download PocketMVP (which is free by the way) you can set up playlists to play the tracks in any order you wish. I'm sure WMP has the same feature, just need to find the person to help.

Yes, WMP does a fine job of playing MP3's.

Playing files in order is a total pain with WMP. You can either create a playlist and then use WMP's really lousy playlist editor or you can move it back to your desktop and edit it there. OR you can make sure that your files are copied in order onto your PDA or memory card--yep, they have to be in order on the physical media. If you select your files and do a right-click-drag-and-then-select-copy, Windows Explorer (on the desktop) will copy your files in the order you have them selected in. With the original WMP on PocketPC 2002 (8.0 not 8.5), you had to copy them in reverse order for them to appear in order in your playlist.

This is LAME, LAME, LAME! Every other player on the planet lets you play songs in order. Leave it to Microsoft to "forget" this feature.

TheNewSteve
05-05-2003, 06:42 AM
I'd ditch WMP and get Winampaq (make sure it's v1.93)... PocketMVP is pretty good for .avi videos but stinks as a .mp3/.ogg player because it is very unstable... it usually ends up freezing my PPC if it starts playing an .mp3 and any other task or program is going.

Winampaq is much more stable and you can use winamp skins (it's free, too).

Number the files in a folder and when winampaq opens the directory they will play in order.

-Steve

stevew
09-09-2003, 02:44 AM
This program is excellent and cheap for doing playlists.
http://www.dataview-sc.com/software/mediasync.htm

maximus
09-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Number the files in a folder and when winampaq opens the directory they will play in order.-Steve

Or alternatively, when ripping to mp3, make sure you use numbered filename -- i.e. track01.mp3, track02.mp3, track03.mp3, etc. Hence you can get the right sequence by sorting based on filename.

qmrq
09-09-2003, 08:20 AM
I'd ditch WMP and get Winampaq

Yep, what he said. WMP is crap. 8)

maikii
09-13-2003, 06:42 PM
I don't know much about WMP, never really used it. I'm pretty sure it should play mp3 files though.

However, if you were to download PocketMVP (which is free by the way) you can set up playlists to play the tracks in any order you wish.

I'm sure WMP has the same feature, just need to find the person to help. If not, just do a search on PocketMPV do a quick download and you are in business.

Please look at the other thread on playlist ordering.

Yes, with WMP or any of them you can manually order the songs in any order you wish.

But so far I haven't found any of these programs that will automatically order the songs in the same order they appear on the CD they were ripped from. (Although they were ripped by the ripping software in that order.)

Instead, they all seem to default to alphabetical order (wow (tic), some seem to have the great option of "reverse alphabetical order". As if I really care to start listening to the song AAA and end with ZZZ, or vice versa). Alphabetical order (including reverse) is not how people usually listen to music.

maikii
09-13-2003, 06:46 PM
[quote="dh"]OR you can make sure that your files are copied in order onto your PDA or memory card--yep, they have to be in order on the physical media. If you select your files and do a right-click-drag-and-then-select-copy, Windows Explorer (on the desktop) will copy your files in the order you have them selected in. With the original WMP on PocketPC 2002 (8.0 not 8.5), you had to copy them in reverse order for them to appear in order in your playlist.
quote]

What do you mean by "order on physical media"? If you mean file creation time, my ripping program (and I assume all) does rip them in that order. As far as "order on the physical media", how would one know where the files are located on physical media, what sector, etc.?