View Full Version : Looking for a Cheap SD Card in Canada?

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 06:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.redflagdeals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25801' target='_blank'>http://www.redflagdeals.net/forums/...pic.php?t=25801</a><br /><br /></div>We feature deals for our US readers a lot, and it's very rare for me to see memory cards for cheap in Canada. To be blunt, we lose out far beyond what the exchange rate would indicate - prices are much, much higher on tech gear in Canada. If you're willing to do a bit of work, you can get a 256 MB SD card for just over $100 CAN. Not bad at all!

lurch
04-30-2003, 06:51 AM
To be blunt, we lose out far beyond what the exchange rate would indicate
Whoa, and I thought the exchange rate was bad enough as it was!!

andrei
04-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Try Ireland, where prices are sometimes twice the US prices :D

yunez
04-30-2003, 04:52 PM
jason dunn goes to redflagdeals?? :D

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 06:26 PM
jason dunn goes to redflagdeals?? :D

Actually, that was the first time I'd ever been there. :mrgreen: Is it a good site?

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 06:27 PM
To be blunt, we lose out far beyond what the exchange rate would indicate
Whoa, and I thought the exchange rate was bad enough as it was!!

It's ugly. In addition to the fact that a lot of rebates are "US only", Canadians get nailed for customs/duty charges. I've paid $30 CAN in UPS brokerage fees on a $20 US product before. It's sick what these companies can get away with. :evil:

rubberdemon
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
I just found an online Canadian retailer that actually has prices to match US prices - finally! I had been getting a friend to bring stuff up from Seattle for me, but she's moved back to Vancouver, and I was getting used to the idea that my deal era was over.

However, Central Direct, from Montreal, at www.cendirect.com is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. I got a Lexus 256MB SD card for $116 Canadian a few weeks back, and just ordered a Canon Powershot S400 for $638 Canadian (compared to $699 at Future Shop). All orders have flat rate $10 shipping (Purolator Ground usually), and their customer service is great.

They have lots of different memory cards as well as SD - use the product search to pull them from the database. I also got a Lexar Pro 24X 256MB CF from them for $128 CDN.

And they carry a good range of PDAs...

Jason Dunn
04-30-2003, 07:05 PM
MISCO was just re-named to TigetDirect.ca, and they have some AWESOME products and pricing:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/

FINALLY! :D

lurch
04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
It's ugly. In addition to the fact that a lot of rebates are "US only", Canadians get nailed for customs/duty charges. I've paid $30 CAN in UPS brokerage fees on a $20 US product before. It's sick what these companies can get away with. :evil:
Oh yes I fully remember those days (I lived in CAN for 12 years), so I feel your pain! Well, I felt your pain... I'm not in pain anymore. :)

Mike Temporale
04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Central Direct, from Montreal, at www.cendirect.com is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. I got a Lexus 256MB SD card for $116 Canadian a few weeks back, and just ordered a Canon Powershot S400 for $638 Canadian (compared to $699 at Future Shop). All orders have flat rate $10 shipping (Purolator Ground usually), and their customer service is great.

I was just looking at the S400. The same CCD as my G1, same zoom, more mega pixels (3.3 vs 4.0), and it's less than half the size!! Crazy. It also helps that used G1's are going for $300us on ebay. That's about 2/3 the price of the new camera. :D

rubberdemon
04-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I was just looking at the S400. The same CCD as my G1, same zoom, more mega pixels (3.3 vs 4.0), and it's less than half the size!! Crazy. It also helps that used G1's are going for $300us on ebay. That's about 2/3 the price of the new camera.

Well, mine arrives friday, so if you want my thoughts on it, PM me with your email and I can let you know what I think next week. The reviews I've seen have all been stellar. I'm upgrading from a 2.1 Megapixel Olympus, so it will be interesting to compare them...

karen
05-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Oh yes I fully remember those days (I lived in CAN for 12 years), so I feel your pain! Well, I felt your pain... I'm not in pain anymore. :)

Yep, I stopped ordering from vendors that insist on using UPS.

Paying $30 (it used to be $40) to have someon stamp "No duties" on a package from the US was just too much to pay. Even if there is no duty or tax owning, UPS gets their b*stardly hands all over my package and then charges me $30. What a bunch of BS.

Pure money grubbing BS as far as I'm concerned. And I'm pro-business for ******* sake.

eternalblue
05-01-2003, 06:41 AM
whoo hoo! thanks for the tip, i bought myself one (256MB SD Card), and should recieve it tommorrow! yay! now i don't have to downsample my mp3s anymore.