View Full Version : Why does everyone hate Memory Stick?

Crystal Eitle
04-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Why do people hate Memory Stick so much? Is it just because it's a proprietary format? Or is it because it has problems as a medium?

dh
04-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Why do people hate Memory Stick so much? Is it just because it's a proprietary format? Or is it because it has problems as a medium?

Here's why I don't like MS.......

From the Price Grabber thingie on this site the price for 1GB Memory Stick Pro is $485.00 (cheapest) to $665.00 (most expensive). When you consider that a 1GB CF card costs about $200.00, which would you prefer?

This is the reason that owners of Sony NX and NZ PDAs have been trying to get a driver written so they can use their wireless CF slot for memory. Dispite Sony being very unhelpful, it looks as though someone has finally produced a drive that works and it's selling nicely to Clie owners.

I've not heard of any problems with the media, it's just so expensive.

Sslixtis
04-29-2003, 09:17 PM
It being Sony proprietary is my biggest problem with it. Sony doesn't have a good track record with thier proprietary technologies- Beta Max, MiniDisc, etc. Great tech, but they usually strangle it by not letting others use it, thus keeping manufacturing costs high.
:twak:

MonkeyGrass
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Slow.

Expensive.

Proprietary.

Limited to 128 MB unless you pay $600 for a glorified calendar with a camera (NX/NZ series). Even then, not as slow, but even more expensive and proprietary. Same thing with the WLAN.

Otherwise, I love memory sticks!! :mrgreen:

Yes, I'm a Sony refugee... And I ain't goin back. The SonyCoaster was draining me for all I was worth, and I had to get off before I ended up in the poorhouse (without WiFi, at that!).

Today? SD and CF dual sots wth integrated WiFi for LESS than a crippled Sony with MS?? NOW you're talking progress! :lol: