View Full Version : Transcriber PPC vs TabletPC Input Recognition

bdegroodt
04-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Anyone that has a Tablet PC care to compare the ability of it to recognize handwriting compared to Transcriber on the PPC?

I went looking for a Franklin Planner to keep my PPC in and fell in love with the idea of the Tablet, but not if it is as bad as the PPC is at recognizing my scratch.

Sven Johannsen
04-29-2003, 05:44 AM
I have the motion Computing Tablet (Gateway branded), and I think it is considerably better than my PPC running Calligrapher (which I find better than Transcriber). It is different though, I don't find that the 'write-anywhere' is as good as on the PPC, but the Tablet has a reasonably sized space to write in if you stick with the input panel.

Part of the issue I think is that the Tablet PC is really a mouse and keyboard OS with pen extensions, where the PPC is designed from the ground up as a pen input device.

I got the Motion specifically because it is a Tablet (not convertible or hybrid) to force me to use it as such. I have other options around if I need them (laptops, desktops, PPCs). I think if I were going to buy a single device that was really going to be my production platform, I'd go with the smallest convertible I could find. There are times I badly want to stick a keyboard and mouse on this thing. (I can actually, but it is cheating :))

bdegroodt
04-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks Sven. I've seen a couple of the Tablets with the keyboard attached, and it just seems too bulky to be as comfortable as a Tablet with no keyboard. However, if you can't get the letters recognized, that makes for a hard case to use it.

Bottom line, would you get the same thing again and do you think there's still a cutting edge curve the writing recognition needs to travel?