View Full Version : Linksys confusion

Fzara
04-28-2003, 05:15 AM
Ok. I was hoping to receive some help from the community.
Let me explain my scenario. I would like to set-up a wireless G network in my house, however, I'm already connected to a Linksys BEFSR41, aka, a wired Ethernet router.

Now this is the problem: I was hoping to connect 1 of the 4 ports of the BEFSR41 to the wireless router, however, i'm rather confused on which product I need to buy.

Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point

-or-

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Access Point + Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch

It is also possible I might sell the BEFSR41, wired router on Ebay, and use the router as a primary solution.

Thanks
Fz-Appreciative of the help

PS: I'm a conspicuous consumer when it comes to periphrials, therefore justifying my choice with Linksys :mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
04-28-2003, 05:19 AM
You can either get the access point and plug it into your existing router or you can get the wireless router and replace your existing router with it.

dangerwit
04-28-2003, 06:38 AM
My current setup at home includes a Linksys cable modem, plugged into the Linksys VPN/firewall/router, plugged into (among other things) my Linksys WAP+router. :) I chose Linksys... well, just because, I have no affiliations, etc etc.

Personally, I'd go with just the wireless AP (no router). The AP+router is nice to have because you can then consolidate your hardware into one machine (don't need the router). Also, you can plug the AP+router into your existing router... but then you could just buy the access pointer without the router built-in.

I like having the individual pieces, because if one goes down, it's cheaper to replace than an integrated peripheral.

*Phil

Fzara
04-28-2003, 04:33 PM
I was kind of re-reading my post, and I didnt realize how silly it was, when I asked the question.

If I do get the wireless router, and plug it into my existing "wired", wouldn't there be a bit of confusion with the network, due to double routers?
double DHCP Host, double IP configs, double etc. ?

Again, I don't know what I would do without the PPCT community and their help. I would probably be calling up those guys at Compusa to ask them these stupid questions 8O

shawnc
04-28-2003, 05:03 PM
All this talk about DHCP, IP addresses, etc. is a bit technical for me. I just recently brought the Linksys Access Point + DSL/Cable Router and the Linksys PC Card (both 802.11g). I re-routed my cable connection from my desktop to the Linksys Access Point, plugged the LAP cable into my PC, inserted the PC card into my laptop, and two minutes later.....wireless internet connection on my laptop. Others may work as well (I have no experience from which to speak), but I would highly recommend the Linksys setup simply because if it was this easy for me, it will likely be a snap for you.