View Full Version : Ipaq 3970 and Belkin BT adaptor on desktop

ch_thom
04-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi,

As stated in the subject I've got an iPaq 3970 and a desktop with a Belkin Bluetooth adaptor attached. I've managed to set things up so that I can send files etc. back and forth from the iPaq to the desktop. I can also Activesync and access the net, through Activesync, over the Bluetooth connection.

What I can't do though is access the desktop files from the iPaq. I assumed that I'd be able to open File Explorer on the iPaq and see the shared files and printers that are on the desktop - but I can't. Even using the open command and trying various network paths doesn't work.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but maybe what I'm trying isn't possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

kfluet
05-01-2003, 04:06 PM
As stated in the subject I've got an iPaq 3970 and a desktop with a Belkin Bluetooth adaptor attached. I've managed to set things up so that I can send files etc. back and forth from the iPaq to the desktop. I can also Activesync and access the net, through Activesync, over the Bluetooth connection.

I have exactly the same setup, except that I have upgraded the BT software on my 3970 to be the same as on the 5450. See this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11188&highlight=) if you are interested in doing that.

FYI, you should be able to access the 'net without Activesync if you connect to the 'net through Ethernet (DSL, cable modem, etc.) and if you set up network sharing on your Ethernet port (win xp or 2000).

What I can't do though is access the desktop files from the iPaq. I assumed that I'd be able to open File Explorer on the iPaq and see the shared files and printers that are on the desktop - but I can't. Even using the open command and trying various network paths doesn't work.

To get this to work, I am pretty sure that I had to set up an LMHOSTS entry (using the freeware PocketHosts (http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm)) so that my server name was tied to the IP address of my BT Dongle. For me, that is 192.168.0.1 but yours may be different.

I also seem to have to put the full path to the file share into pocket file explorer. I can't just point it at the host and browse for shared folders.

BTW, if you install the BT update onto your iPAQ, it includes BT file explorer so you can skip the whole windows file sharing thing and set up a BT file share.