View Full Version : Acessing Shared MP3s Through Wireless? plus, VPN?

dacs29
04-27-2003, 10:41 PM
I've run into a small problem here. I'm trying to access my shared MP3s, that are on my desktop, from my iPAQ, using wireless. Now the tricky part is that the laptop is sitting on one network (Resnet in my dorm room) while the iPAQ is using the university's wireless network which runs on it's own network separate from the dorm room network.

I've tried using Resco File Explorer and when I do a search while connected to the wireless network, the only computers/shared files I see are the ones currently using wireless. I've also tried to use Zimmermann's Pocket Hosts program and mapped a name to my laptop's IP address. I then tried to connect to \\laptop using Net Use but it doesn't seem to find it.

The third thing I tried is setting up a VPN server on my laptop (using directions in another thread) and then I VPNed into the laptop using the iPAQ. This worked for doing a remote Active Sync (I had to use the VPN server's IP instead of the network cards), but when I search the network with Resco File Explorer, I again only see the wireless network's SMB shares.

Now my question is, how can I get my iPAQ to access SMB shares over the VPN connection so that I can mount them to listen to MP3s while roaming the university's wireless network?

David