View Full Version : I want a screen like that!!

rooks308
04-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Don't get me wrong... I love my Ipaq and I love it's screen..... but we just got the new Zire 71 in the other day and I regularly make sure our PDA section is neat and clean. As I stood there i had to do a double-take as i gazed at the sceen on the Zire 71. Wow is all i can say to describe it. Instantly the thought of a skinable desktop with that brilliance and brightness screamed through my head... and for just a momemt.... just one frieghtening moment...(shudders) I thought about switching back. Then reality hit me and I remembered how much I loved my Ipaq 5450. Unfortunately every now and again I think about how much better my pocket pc would look with that incredible sharpness... I think it is high time we got a resolution upgrade... Many say resolution doesn't matter, but good lord... what I saw is dramatic to say the least. Somebody please tell me that we can hope for a screen like that sometime soon. BTW I have seen the screens of the other pocket pc's so please dont reply with "pocket pc X" has a better screen. THEY DONT.... I wish they did. Any thoughts....?

RickP in AZ
04-27-2003, 02:21 AM
rooks, I wholeheartedly agree with you in the resolution issue although the screen I favor is the "HiRes+" screen on the Sony N-Series Clies... sigh... I'm just going to go off and daydream about a Sony NR70, with SD & CF, a 1500MAH battery (removable), and POCKET PC 2003/4!!!!!!!!!!!!

wizardmaster2k
04-27-2003, 02:47 AM
yes, dream devise

andrewlwood
04-27-2003, 03:04 AM
I really liked the resolution on the nr70 screen, but it wasn't nearly as bright and easy to use as the 5450. I was so happy when I tried out the 5450 in the shop to find that I wasn't moving to a worse screen - lower res, but brighter and crisper. the nr70 screen has very noticeable dark edges at the bottom.

I haven't seen the new Zire screen yet.

I do agree that Sony and MS would be the partnership to make the killer handheld though.

rooks308
04-27-2003, 02:10 PM
while i think sony makes most likely the pest "Palm" OS pda's the screen on the new Zire blew me away and I have compared em side by side with Sony's... they are even higher res than the zire but it seems to make no difference.. I dont know what it is about the zire screen but it is outstanding... I do know that they finally used a transflective display, but All the Palm OS 5 PDA"s have that sharp look and feel about the entire GUI. Maybe all we need is an Update to the OS to get sharper Iccons.

Fishie
04-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Urm the resolution of the NR70 might be higher then that of the Zire71 one but you gotta take into acount the fact that the screen is a lot larger as well so on the Zire71 you do get more pixels per square centimeter.
A 640by480 NTSC TV screen has far more pixels then a Zire71 but ussualy its spread over 21 or more inches so yah its not gonna look as sharp.

juni
04-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Maybe the new hp 2200 will have a super screen? The 1910 already is pretty good :)

Nellwaskilled
04-27-2003, 05:34 PM
good grief. the 2.5 inch transreflective screen vs. 3.7 transreflective screen?

yes it's high res. but it can't do anything right beside showing smooth fonts. No full screen movie for you buddy.

rooks308
04-28-2003, 02:39 AM
I think my point may be missed here. I LOVE having a 3.8 inch screen and yeah full screen video is what i want. I am saying that i want that kind of sharpness of the GUI and Icons on my Ipaq... I dont want a palm like that I want a Pocket PC like that

Fishie
04-28-2003, 10:58 AM
I think my point may be missed here. I LOVE having a 3.8 inch screen and yeah full screen video is what i want. I am saying that i want that kind of sharpness of the GUI and Icons on my Ipaq... I dont want a palm like that I want a Pocket PC like that

And what im saying is that you would need VGA res or near VGA res to get that kind of sharpnes on a 3.8 screen(NTT DoCoMo in Japan has a CE.net device that has a 3.8 inch VGA screen that seriously kicks all sorts of behind)

FredMurphy
04-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Has anyone seen the Samsung Nexio S160's 5" 840x480 screen? It runs CE.NET rather than Pocket PC 2002, but it could give an idea how a Pocket PC OS could run on a higher res screen. (Only available in Korea and Hong Kong at the moment I think. :( )

rooks308
04-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Any word on whether the new 5550 with Pocket PC 2003 would have a higher res screen? I would be satisfied with a simple memory and cpu upgrade but again id like to see sharper and smoother icons, whatever resolution neccessary.

04-29-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm sick of seeing other devices with stuff I want. someone needs to pull their head out, and make a device with everything on it.

rooks308
04-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately I think we are unlikely to see something with everyting we want... cause then we'd want something else... lol I guess the grass is almost always greener. Hehe, I am pretty content with what i have i just like the eyecandy of some of the new screens im seeing. Pop in some new memory... speed up the CPU and up the resolution on my screen and I think i'd be "more" content with what i have then LOL. But then id want more memory and a faster CPU, and............. ooops (Slaps himself) sorry....

Skoobouy
05-03-2003, 10:23 PM
The more Pocket PCs that come out with QVGA, the less eager I am to buy one, since I have this constant nagging feeling that high res Pocket PCs are just around the corner.

On the one hand, I would LOVE to exchange my dusty Jornada 567 for an iPaq 1910. On the other, I would hate to buy an iPaq 1910 just to see a high-res Pocket PC out two months later that will make me wish I was more patient. So, patience it is!

felixdd
05-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Skoobouy -- that always happens to me as if I'm a living bad omen or something.

Just recently, I bought an Intermec 6651 off of someone used, thinking that I was buying the top of the line model since the form factor was given up for dead.

After I bought it and was waiting for shipping, NEC came out with their new HPC Pro.
(Oh well at least this time my device is better than the new one that always comes out after I make a purchase -- hehehe the curse of feilxdd lives!)