View Full Version : Another Dell ROM Update Posted

Janak Parekh
04-25-2003, 11:01 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://support.dell.com' target='_blank'>http://support.dell.com</a><br /><br /></div>Dell appears to have released a minor update to their previous ROM. The new one is version v.04100300EN, A01. The update list includes: <li>Resolved Pocket Internet Explorer issue that produced an error when connecting to certain web sites<br /><li> Improved notification of backup battery charge <br /><li> Improved time-out of the power button light (notifications) to extend battery life <br /><li> Improved start-up time <br /><li> Improved navigation button applet <br /><li> Improved CompactFlash modem interface driver <br /><li> Support for C stepping of Intel XScale CPU <br /><li> Support the features from the Microsoft Adaptation Kit Update 5 For the most part, it looks like it's about the same as the last update, except for the Internet Explorer fix and the "Microsoft Adaptation Kit". :? Does anyone know what that is?<br /><br />(BTW, the link above goes to support.dell.com -- you have to navigate through their site to get the fix.)

ozen
04-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Dang, another one. It hasn't even been that long since the other ROM Release either.

portus
04-25-2003, 11:59 PM
A good old rule to follow: if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

Thefo
04-26-2003, 12:04 AM
"Microsoft Adaptation Kit". Does anyone know what that is?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1999/Jul99/WMPpr.asp

This may be what they are refering to ???? seems like old news though anyone else got any guess ?

Foo Fighter
04-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Where is the download located? I looked under "Downloads" but I don't see any obvious location of the files whereabouts.

James Fee
04-26-2003, 01:00 AM
FTP is your friend... :D

ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/R59756.EXE

Jonathon Watkins
04-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Oh well, I had not gotten round to installing the last one. Just as well I 'waited'. :? Maybe I'll give it a week or two before installing this one. :lol:

klinux
04-26-2003, 01:16 AM
I too have not updated... maybe I should wait longer!

And as for the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" - do you know how many PCs I broke because of that?! Why? Because I can! :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
04-26-2003, 02:06 AM
Where is the download located? I looked under "Downloads" but I don't see any obvious location of the files whereabouts.
It's definitely there - at least earlier today :lol: Make sure you list "all" categories.

--janak

dhettel
04-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Hmm, All may not be so well.I went to www.wlwt.com that redirects to www.channelcincinnati.com on my 5455, and gets me an error on my Dell, the Dell use to go to the www.channelcincinnati.com page.

>>Now after several resets it works, on the Axim again. Strange &lt;&lt;

David

Brad Adrian
04-26-2003, 02:12 AM
I had to create an account and enter my device ID tag before it showed me the download search screen.

Brad Adrian
04-26-2003, 02:15 AM
FTP is your friend...
Not as good a friend as my high-speed Internet connetion. This baby's 27MB!!!

mc_03
04-26-2003, 02:57 AM
Anyone tried it yet? Oh well, since I am bored and have nothing to do, I'll do it now and tell you how it goes :)

dhettel
04-26-2003, 03:13 AM
Anyone tried it yet? Oh well, since I am bored and have nothing to do, I'll do it now and tell you how it goes :)

Well http://wireless.cnn.com/avantgo/cnn now seems to work.

David

Jason Dunn
04-26-2003, 03:22 AM
Hrm. I just installed the other ROM update last week....I don't really feel like hard resetting my device yet again. Maybe next month. :mrgreen:

mc_03
04-26-2003, 03:29 AM
OK, I installed it, it installed succesfully without a hitch. To tell you the truth... I can't find any differences! 8O

Looks like I just hard reset for nothing :evil:

Brad Adrian
04-26-2003, 04:17 AM
I've installed it, mainly because I hadn't done the earlier one. I didn't really feel much of a need, but I also wanted to try to restore from Sprite PocketBackup, just to see how smoothly it works.

No hitches at all. ROM update and restore took about 30 minutes.

Marc Zimmermann
04-26-2003, 06:35 AM
For the most part, it looks like it's about the same as the last update, except for the Internet Explorer fix and the "Microsoft Adaptation Kit". :? Does anyone know what that is?
If I'm not mistaken, those are incremental updates to the original Pocket PC 2002 code shipped to the OEMs for moving their build up to the very latest, much like EUU updates provide the latest stuff to devices in the field. Intersting question is now, what happened to EUU4?

ozen
04-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Well Whats so DIFFERENT that we have to keep downloading updates every 2-3 weeks. Especially in my case when it takes like 2 hours to download on my slow connection, back up my axim with my PC and then install the ROM and restore all my data. This gets annoying even after the first time.

bluevolume
04-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Well Whats so DIFFERENT that we have to keep downloading updates every 2-3 weeks. Especially in my case when it takes like 2 hours to download on my slow connection, back up my axim with my PC and then install the ROM and restore all my data. This gets annoying even after the first time.

I feel like I'm dignifying your post by replying to it, but I just had to add my 2 cents. In a time where software & firmware updates are becoming more and more critical, and at the same time more and more scarce, I applaud Dell for continuing to improve the Axim. I was afraid that we wouldn't see any OS updates given the low price of the unit, and that they plan on releasing new models in the near future.

To the previous post, here's a simple solution: Don't bother with the updates. They are just to improve the performance of your Axim, and if it is too much of a burden for you to install them then don't bother.

Blue

[post edited by moderator for niceness]

dh
04-26-2003, 01:50 PM

I feel like I'm dignifying your post by replying to it, but I just had to add my 2 cents. In a time where software & firmware updates are becoming more and more critical, and at the same time more and more scarce, I applaud Dell for continuing to improve the Axim. I was afraid that we wouldn't see any OS updates given the low price of the unit, and that they plan on releasing new models in the near future.

To the previous post, here's a simple solution: Don't bother with the updates. They are just to improve the performance of your Axim, and if it is too much of a burden for you to install them then don't bother.

Blue

Agree 100%. It shows that Dell are committed to supporting their customers, even though the price paid per unit is not very high.

Dell could easily have just saved the money and not bothered. I was very happy with my Axim before I installed the first ROM upgrade, I'm sure most other users were as well.

I would say that anyone who didn't install the first upgrade should go ahead with the second. After the first one, my Axim turns on instantly and feels quicker. (It has the PXA255 processor).

I'm not sure about the second upgrade. I might wait a few weeks and see if there is any PPC2003 news first.

Foo Fighter
04-26-2003, 02:11 PM
It shows that Dell are committed to supporting their customers, even though the price paid per unit is not very high.

Exactly. Look, I hate having to wipe out my PPC and setting a new partnership (and try to come up with clever new profile names like; My_Pocket_PC or Foo's_Pocket_PC) as much as the next guy. But I'd much rather have Dell pump out updated ROMs every three weeks than NONE at all. :|

Dell's steady stream of updates and patches give me high hopes they will offer some form of upgrade to Pocket PC 2003 when it becomes available to OEMs, rather than leave Axim owners stuck with "old" software.

Rock on, Dell! 0X

Sven Johannsen
04-26-2003, 06:00 PM
I hate having to wipe out my PPC and setting a new partnership (and try to come up with clever new profile names like; My_Pocket_PC or Foo's_Pocket_PC) as much as the next guy.

You know you don't have to come up with a new name each time you hard reset (and don't or can't or shouldn't restore). Just go into AS on the desktop and remove the partnership before you establish a new one. File/Mobile Device, select the one you are wanting to re-use (if there is more than one), and File/Delete Partnership. It will ask if you want to delete the shared files folder. Say no, and it will remain and the stuff in it will sync back to the 'new' PPC with the same old name.

I agree that is very encouraging to see Dell proactively updating the Axim, but a little more time in between hard resets might be nice. I know.... doing it is up to me.

ppcsurfr
04-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Exactly. Look, I hate having to wipe out my PPC and setting a new partnership (and try to come up with clever new profile names like; My_Pocket_PC or Foo's_Pocket_PC) as much as the next guy. But I'd much rather have Dell pump out updated ROMs every three weeks than NONE at all. :|

Why do you have to come up with new profile names for the Pocket PC :?:

ppcsurfr

alex_kac
04-26-2003, 10:44 PM
For the most part, it looks like it's about the same as the last update, except for the Internet Explorer fix and the "Microsoft Adaptation Kit". :? Does anyone know what that is?
If I'm not mistaken, those are incremental updates to the original Pocket PC 2002 code shipped to the OEMs for moving their build up to the very latest, much like EUU updates provide the latest stuff to devices in the field. Intersting question is now, what happened to EUU4?

About two AKU's get released before an EUU gets released. ABOUT. Typically. :)