View Full Version : Open Source Projects!

William Yeung
04-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Dear all,
I think in order to encourage Pocket PC Development, we need an open source project for various basic service components- especially for .NET Compact Framework, which I found quite a bit essense are missing there.

However, the major barrier is the cost of Visual Studio... I hope MS is going to follow that April Fool- a trimmed down version of .NET CF Development Kit?

Peter Foot
04-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Dear all,
I think in order to encourage Pocket PC Development, we need an open source project for various basic service components- especially for .NET Compact Framework, which I found quite a bit essense are missing there.

However, the major barrier is the cost of Visual Studio... I hope MS is going to follow that April Fool- a trimmed down version of .NET CF Development Kit?

You should check out http://www.opennetcf.org as they are intending to set up just what you are asking for, there are already lots of code snippets and libraries that fill some of the missing features. Based on the recent response from Microsoft there will not be a free SDK version of the .NET Compact Framework in the near future. Another option would be to offer the functionality with the single langauge tools as these are much more affordable than the whole Visual Studio bundle.

Peter