View Full Version : Introducing the Quick Look

Jason Dunn
04-24-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,11654' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/art...on=expand,11654</a><br /><br /></div>This is a very minor update, but I tell you guys about every other update, so... :wink: We've added a new type of article called the "Quick Look". The Quick Look is like a miniature review - it's a very simple editorial focused on a single piece of software or hardware that might not be appropriate for a full-length review. Full reviews also take a great deal of time, so part of this change is simply one of time-savings: it allows us to take products for a spin, and share our thoughts with you. Enjoy!

trachy
04-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Will you be accepting Quick Look Reviews from members, or will they only be accomplished by the staff? If members can submit these types of reviews is there a format that should be followed?

- Drew

Gordo
04-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Will it be on the Quick Review that we can all post our own personal opinions, and experiences?

Jason Dunn
04-24-2003, 04:37 AM
Will you be accepting Quick Look Reviews from members, or will they only be accomplished by the staff? If members can submit these types of reviews is there a format that should be followed?

No, these are for front-page editors only.

Jason Dunn
04-24-2003, 04:37 AM
Will it be on the Quick Review that we can all post our own personal opinions, and experiences?

Sure, but you've always been able to do that with any of our reviews, columns, etc... :D

trachy
04-24-2003, 04:39 AM

Bit of a control freak, are we Jason? ;-)

Jason Dunn
04-24-2003, 04:48 AM

Bit of a control freak, are we Jason? ;-)

You bet! :mrgreen: Can you imagine the kind of stuff we'd see on the front page if anyone could post to it? 8O

trachy
04-24-2003, 04:56 AM
You bet! :mrgreen: Can you imagine the kind of stuff we'd see on the front page if anyone could post to it? 8O

I just assumed there would be some kind of editor approval before something was placed on the front page. Still, I can see where even that might get to be a little time consuming.

Gordo
04-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Actually I was thinking about an earlier post where you were discussing accepting readers experiences with products.

Maybe you can add a Vote to the reviews were individuals could score a product!

trachy
04-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Actually I was thinking about an earlier post where you were discussing accepting readers experiences with products.

Excellent idea, Gordo. I hate that the only consistent place I can find ratings for products is Amazon. It's a good place for books and music, but when I buy electronics I want the opinions of my peers.

Janak Parekh
04-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Scarily, I can answer this question, but not in a Pocket PC frame of mind. There's one site out there that uses user moderation to determine which stories hit the frontpage: Kuro5hin (www.kuro5hin.org). In general, I've found the stories tend to be a bit too flamebait-y and socially-oriented.

--janak

Brad Adrian
04-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I think that could be a good idea. I'll see if I can work that into my next product review. I don't think there'd be an easy way to consolidate ratings from various reviews, but at least people reading the review and resulting discussion thread could get some idea of other people's opinions.

Jason Dunn
04-24-2003, 05:09 PM

I just assumed there would be some kind of editor approval before something was placed on the front page. Still, I can see where even that might get to be a little time consuming.

Yeah, we're maxed out as it is publishing a full review every 48 hours. The time for writing, layout, copyediting, creating the graphic, and publishing is quite long for both the review team, and the editors that work on that process. We couldn't add more to that process.

That's why, if we do implement the user review system, it would be un-edited and largely un-moderated. Very free-form.