View Full Version : OS compatability question.

NeoLogic
04-23-2003, 02:33 AM
I am so new to PPCs that I don't even have one yet, so this may seem as a very stupid question, but alteast it will be easy to answer.

I have been using a palm for quite some time, and I know nothing on how one installs software on a PPC, so this is my question:

If I have a Dell Axim, running the default OS which is Pocket PC 2002, right? will I be able to install software that is designed for Windows CE devices on my Axim?

Now from my understanding, there are Windows CE 1.X, CE 2.X, and PPC 2002. Is that all the OSes that run on this platform? What are the differences between these OSes, and programs that are designed to run on an earlier versions of these OSes will run on PPC 2002?

I go to Pocket PC City and look up software, and I have no idea if Windows CE 2.X applications will run on an Axim or not. How about Windows CE 1.X apps running on a PPC 2002 device? What about PPC 2002 apps running on an older CE 1.X, or CE 2.X?

All these different versions of OSes, are they like Windows 95, 98, 2K, and XP?

A little insight on this will help me a bunch,

Thanks!

blazingwolf
04-23-2003, 02:38 AM
Pocket PC is built on top of Windows CE 3.0. To my knowledge you can not run any software that is meant for CE versions 1 and 2. If you want to download programs make sure that they are for pocket pc and are ARM based. These programs should work on the Axim. Good luck to you.

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 02:41 AM
Pocket PC is built on top of Windows CE 3.0. To my knowledge you can not run any software that is meant for CE versions 1 and 2. If you want to download programs make sure that they are for pocket pc and are ARM based. These programs should work on the Axim. Good luck to you.
You're correct for the most part, but not because of the reason you think: it has nothing to do with the version number, but rather that very few programs for WinCE 2.x are compiled for ARM processors (and virtually none for 1.x). If you find such a program, it'll usually work.

NeoLogic: you forgot Pocket PC 2000. Most applications are designed to work on Pocket PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002; the only quirk you must keep in mind is that programs for pre-Pocket PC 2002 were compiled for multiple processors, and you must pick the "ARM" version of the program. You should then be set.

--janak

NeoLogic
04-23-2003, 02:56 AM
You're correct for the most part, but not because of the reason you think: it has nothing to do with the version number, but rather that very few programs for WinCE 2.x are compiled for ARM processors (and virtually none for 1.x). If you find such a program, it'll usually work.

NeoLogic: you forgot Pocket PC 2000. Most applications are designed to work on Pocket PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002; the only quirk you must keep in mind is that programs for pre-Pocket PC 2002 were compiled for multiple processors, and you must pick the "ARM" version of the program. You should then be set.

--janak

Thanks guys! So I guess if i find a windows CE 2.X app or even a 1.X that I like, my Axim will not be able to run it if it's not compiled for an ARM processor?

Are there different versions of ARM processors? Will the Axim run every ARM version application?

Oh, and I didn't 'forget' Pocket PC 2000, I'm ignorant, and had no idea it existed, along with the term Windows CE 3.0. Like I said, I'm new to this :D

BTW, are there any dedicated Pocket PC 2002 sites that offer shareware/freeware, and commercial software for download? Seems like most places I have to wade through CE and PPC 2002 titles.

Also, if I go to download an app/installer, which file extension am I looking at for the Axim?

This should conclude every stupid question that I have in regards to this topic.

Thanks again!

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys! So I guess if i find a windows CE 2.X app or even a 1.X that I like, my Axim will not be able to run it if it's not compiled for an ARM processor?
Correct.

Are there different versions of ARM processors? Will the Axim run every ARM version application?
There are, but they're backward compatible. Your Dell will have a PXA250 (or PXA255) XScale, which runs StrongARM code (which was the previous popular ARM chip). The only catch is if you find WinCE 2.0 code for Handheld PCs (i.e., the clamshells with wide displays), they'll run but the program may layout itself really weirdly (and perhaps uselessly) on your screen.

Oh, and I didn't 'forget' Pocket PC 2000, I'm ignorant, and had no idea it existed, along with the term Windows CE 3.0. Like I said, I'm new to this :D
Ah... if you want the gruesome details on all of this, check out Chris De Herrera's cewindows.net; the short answer is that:

- Both Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 are built "on top of" the WinCE 3.0 operating system.
- Palm-Size PC (PSPC) was built on top of WinCE 2.0.
- Handheld PCs (HPC) have versions that were built on top of 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0.

BTW, are there any dedicated Pocket PC 2002 sites that offer shareware/freeware, and commercial software for download? Seems like most places I have to wade through CE and PPC 2002 titles.
Not "Pocket PC 2002" dedicated per se; most vendors write software that remains backwards-compatible with Pocket PC 2000, to leverage the market; you shouldn't worry about running software that still supports it. Pocket PC 2000 is like Win2k, while 2002 is like XP... sort of -- the same basic engine underneath, but some evolution on top of it.

Also, if I go to download an app/installer, which file extension am I looking at for the Axim?
Usually .EXE if you install it from the desktop; .CAB represents files that might be copyable straight to the device and tapped on there to run the installer. 95%+ of the software you install will be the former, though.

This should conclude every stupid question that I have in regards to this topic.
They're not stupid questions at all. :) However, when you get a chance play with PPCT's search engine; most of these questions have been answered once upon a time. If you can't find the answer, though, don't be afraid to ask.

--janak

NeoLogic
04-23-2003, 04:04 AM
/me quickly prints out the above post for future reference.

Thank you so much for your time and effort in answering my questions!! Before reading your post Janak, I the topic was about as clear as mud. After reading it, I understand 100%. You wouldn't happen to be an instructor would you? :) Thanks again Janak!! BTW, everyone here is very helpful and kind. You have an awesome community here, and I hope to contribute once I learn more!

NeoLogic
04-23-2003, 04:08 AM
Oh, and one other thing. Yes, I could have searched for those questions that I had. Infact, I should have, but I'm kinda crunched for time.... what I recommend is having a couple sticky threads with helpful information such as the above topic. That way, searching is not needed/limited. A newbie user such as myself can just read through a couple threads, and get a grip on the situation. Just my two cents.

Pony99CA
04-23-2003, 05:37 AM
- Both Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 are built "on top of" the WinCE 3.0 operating system.
- Palm-Size PC (PSPC) was built on top of WinCE 2.0.
- Handheld PCs (HPC) have versions that were built on top of 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0.

There was also Windows CE 2.1 (for Handheld PC Professional devices, I think). That one added Pocket Access.

Also, I thought that the Palm-Sized PCs used Windows CE 2.11, not 2.0.

Usually .EXE if you install it from the desktop; .CAB represents files that might be copyable straight to the device and tapped on there to run the installer. 95%+ of the software you install will be the former, though.

You forgot .ZIP files. Some software gets shipped in zip files because they also package ReadMe files (or multiple CABs). You won't know what's in those unless you check. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
04-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Yes, I could have searched for those questions that I had. Infact, I should have, but I'm kinda crunched for time.... what I recommend is having a couple sticky threads with helpful information such as the above topic. That way, searching is not needed/limited. A newbie user such as myself can just read through a couple threads, and get a grip on the situation.
Many of us have suggested adding an FAQ to the site. So far, though, I don't think that has been done.

Also, there is the "Palm to Pocket PC: Help & Tips" forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=36), which, as you may have guessed, is meant specifically for Palm users. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 01:30 PM
You wouldn't happen to be an instructor would you? :)
Actually, I have been, and will be again. But not on this topic. :)

There was also Windows CE 2.1 (for Handheld PC Professional devices, I think). That one added Pocket Access.
Yeah, I was giving a "brief" answer. I guess I should have termed it WinCE 2.x instead of WinCE 2.0.

Many of us have suggested adding an FAQ to the site. So far, though, I don't think that has been done.
I'm working on the first version of it -- a weekly column -- but I haven't had time to get it rolling yet (that will change in about two weeks, when some major deadlines pass). We've also been trading ideas of how to architect a FAQ engine, so it'll come, just give it time. :)

--janak