View Full Version : How to move MyDocuments to storage card?

67stang
04-23-2003, 01:21 AM
I'd like to make the mydocuments folder on my ppc reside on my storage card only. how can I do this, and still maintain the proper sync between that folder and the one on my desktop?
thanks

WyattEarp
04-23-2003, 02:29 AM
Just copy or create the My Documents folder on the storage card and move your files and folders to the My Docs folder in the storage card. That's it.

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 02:45 AM
WyattEarp, ActiveSync will no longer copy "My Documents" that are on a storage card.

67stang, you need a third-party program to handle that. Take a look at MightySync (http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html), for example.

--janak

Pony99CA
04-23-2003, 05:14 AM
WyattEarp, ActiveSync will no longer copy "My Documents" that are on a storage card.
You mean it would at one time? If so, what version was that?

Steve

67stang
04-23-2003, 05:55 AM
You mean it would at one time? If so, what version was that?

Steve

I take it that he means "no longer" in the sense that once you move my documents, active sync will no longer sync it.

Andy Whiteford
04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
There is a registry setting that can be changed to allow ActiveSync to sync files on Memory Card (My Documents) as opposed to the Device (My Documents).

karinatwork
04-23-2003, 04:18 PM
There is a registry setting that can be changed to allow ActiveSync to sync files on Memory Card (My Documents) as opposed to the Device (My Documents).

Where can I get that??? :D

Karin

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 04:55 PM
I take it that he means "no longer" in the sense that once you move my documents, active sync will no longer sync it.
Correct. :)

8O Really? That's pretty cool, although you'd ideally want both to be synced. In any case, this is the first time I've heard of it, so let us know if you know what the key is, offhand.

--janak

Andy Whiteford
04-24-2003, 08:46 AM
I'll post this when I get home tonight. I was tinkering around with the registry a few days ago and gave it a quick test. Seemed to work fine but I'll give it a quick play tonight before posting the keys to change.

Andy Whiteford
04-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Sorry for the delay in this. I never got a chance to give it a full test last night due to a night out. :)
Quick testing shows you can sync to storage card My Documents folder by changing a key in the registry on your desktop. Unfortunately, I can only see how to assign one folder for syncing so you would have to choose between the device or storage card folder and use that one folder exclusively. I'll try and post full details of the key(s) to change tonight once I get the chance to fully explore it.
I can't find a similar key on the Pocket PC so you would have to ensure you save any files to the Storage Card if you want them synced.

Andy Whiteford
04-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Okay, this only appears to work one way at the moment.

If you create a file on your desktop, it will be synced to the Device\My Documents folder. If you create a file on your Pocket PC in either Device\My Documents or Storage Card\My Documents, it will be synced back to your desktop. The problem is any subsequent changes on the desktop to the file that was originally created in Storage card\My Documents will be synced back to Device\My Documents instead of the Storage Card. I'll try and find out a reg key that will allow two way syncing with the Storage Card.

The reg key to change for the above, which isn't of a great deal of use at the moment but may be worth playing with is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\device code name\Services\Synchronization

Key = DeviceSyncFolder

Change this from

\My Documents

to

\SD Card\My Documents (or name of your storage card)