View Full Version : Questions on (1) Battery Warning (2) Keeping a Mass of iPaqs Updated (3) Error When Trying to Delete Some Voice Memos

kzemach
04-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Hey guys, two questions.

(1) Low Battery Warning
This may be a Microsoft thing instead of an iPaq specific thing, but I couldn't find an "OS Forum." Have both 3955s and 3835s. The "Low Battery Warning" comes on at an incredibly annoying 40% battery level. Puhleeze! But I can't find anywhere to change WHEN the warning comes on. I'd prefer something around 10%, like, when it really IS an issue (which is also around the point I've found out that it lowers the sound output regardless of how high you have it set- very annoying as well). I'm sure there's a way to change this- how?

(2) Keeping Files Update on Lots of iPaqs
Right now we have 10 x 3955s and 2 x 3835s, and will most likely bump all that up to about 35-40 units total. Here's the problem: About every week or so I need to update several files on ALL of them. They will all have identical files in them ideally, as well as identical settings. I'm just moving over from Palms myself, so I don't know all the possibly ways to do this. Right now I'm doing it the hard way: having all the files in their folders on an SD card, and then copying from the SD card and pasting into the My Documents folder. Not only is this a major pain in the ass, but see (3) below to for the file errors I get sometimes, making it a painful process.

Is there some sort of commercial backup files utility that can sync to the files on the SD card (preferred for the field where we have no laptop for recovery purposes) or some backup utility on the Laptop/Desktop than can sync all the files? I'm sure there is such a utility, but can it keep those files synced between many different units, not just one?

(3) Deleting Error When Removing Some Voice Memos
OK, this one is weird. Let's say I'm either trying to erase an entire folder in the My Documents folder that has a bunch of Voice Memos. Or, I'm trying to update all the files inside that folder by copying the updated folder on the SD card and pasting (and replacing all) into the My Documents folder.

Sometimes it works great. Everything is either deleted or replaced. But about 1/3 of the time, some of the files give me this message when I try to delete them, either in the folder, or trying to delete them alone:

"Error Deleting File: Cannot delete '(filename)': Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use."

I assure you the disk is not full, the file is not write protected, and it's not in use. The only way to get rid of the file(s) is to cut them and paste them onto the SD card, and THEN delete them.

And there's a variation of that: I have one file on one of them (which is of course identical to the files on other iPaqs that I CAN delete, so how can it be that particular file???) that I just can't get rid of. I can cut and paste onto the SD card, and delete there, but it's STILL resident on the iPaq. Even though I'm cutting and pasting, all it's doing is making a copy. Other files I do this with work fine. This one doesn't. I've tried renaming and then deleting, renaming and moving and then deleting, and I'm wondering if I have to hard reset the unit (PAIN). This is happening to almost ALL of the 3955s, and they're all brand spanking new. Serious pain in the ass. What gives???

Thanks!

Andrew
04-30-2003, 02:21 PM
1) As far as I know it is not possible on a stock unit to change the battery warning. This is something a lot of people would like, but hasnt yet been implemented by microsoft. I believe there may be some 3rd party apps out there, or some registry hacks, but I myself havent came across any.

2) For Backups there are quite a few backup packages out, Pocket Backup etc. There are I believe some enterprise solutions, that will do multiple installs and images. I came across one about 6 months back. I unfortunately dont remember the name of the supplier though.

3) Sometimes simply soft resetting the ipaq and then deleting solves the problem you mentioned