View Full Version : Using an SD in the MMC slot...?

RedRamage
04-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Okay, consider me outdated... but I just got my MMC/Battary accessory. Never wanted/needed it before, but I'm running into more and more people who are using MMC and/or SD and I figured it was time to get one. Got it pretty cheep from eBay.

Question though: Is it possible to use a vanilla SD card in the MMC? I know none of the "advanced" features of the SDs will work in a MMC reader, but can it handle reading/writting to a SD memory card?

Just curious.

Jason Dunn
04-22-2003, 02:53 AM
If memory serves, no, this won't work - I think I tried it and the SD card wouldn't work. I think. Sorry, it's been a long time... :oops: :lol:

tospappy
04-22-2003, 06:39 PM
I have been using a Compaq SD 128 card in my MMC/Battery on the 568. It works as well if not better than my Sandisk 64 card. I have found and others have reported problems using either type in the MMC/Battery or the PC card adapter. Small files load fine, but when loading larger files like maps, large spreadsheets, errors are frequent. I have reformatted with various settings, but nothing seems to help. Bottom line, you can use sd, but don't expect error free operation.

Sven Johannsen
04-22-2003, 06:59 PM
OK, posted my experiences extensively on this and other forums. Search for Sven and MMC and you should find gory details.

Summary:
Numerous 64M MMC and 64M SD cards work fine in any combination of my 2 x J568, 2 x MMC Battery and 1 x PCcard adapter.
Neither a Kodak 128M MMC nor a Sandisk 128M SD work worth a flip in any combination of the above.

My issues seem size related, not format related. If you dug hard enough on the old HP pages, you could find reference to SD memory cards being supported. I've lost the reference. YMMV