View Full Version : Dear Dell

Jason Dunn
04-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Note to Dell: please include a second stylus with your Axims. I know you're trying to keep the product cost low, and I appreciate that, but I just broke mine and since I can't go down to a local store to pick up a new one, having to order a styli pack online seems a bit silly - especially since your online ordering system refuses to accept my postal code and now I'm wasting time waiting on the phone on hold.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />J. Axim User<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> It turns out that because I live in a relatively new area (one year old) Dell's reverse address authentication system couldn't find me. Bah! Silly system. But the nice Dell lady took off the $15 in shipping for my $13 item, so I ordered two styli packs. Six should be enough to last me for a while...

karinatwork
04-21-2003, 08:23 PM
"Dear __________ (fill in ANY name of manufacturer of pocket pc's)

Please include a second stylus with your _______ (insert device name here). I know you're trying to keep the product cost low, and I appreciate that, but I just broke mine and since I can't go down to a local store to pick up a new one, having to order a styli pack online seems a bit silly..."

Wouldn't it be great if when buying a device you would ALWAYS get a second stylus in the box? Or maybe even a third? I'm with Jason on that one... but I guess a customer's logic does not bring money into the pockets of a manufacturer, especially when the manufacturer charges big bucks for an extra stylus and even bigger bucks for shipping!!!! :evil:

Jason Dunn
04-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Well, the iPAQs come with a second stylus - don't they? I know they used to...do the new devices come with two?

karinatwork
04-21-2003, 08:34 PM
I bought two pocket pcs so far, first a Casio E-125, and then an Ipaq h1910, both came with only one stylus. I guess I'm just not lucky with my picks... :wink:

sponge
04-21-2003, 08:38 PM
I had 3 with my 3600, and 2 with my 3900.

R K
04-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Well, the iPAQs come with a second stylus - don't they? I know they used to...do the new devices come with two?

I've gone through almost the entire iPAQ line and I got at least two styli with each of them. The current iPAQ H5450s do come with two styli as well.

I bought two pocket pcs so far, first a Casio E-125, and then an Ipaq h1910, both came with only one stylus. I guess I'm just not lucky with my picks... :wink:

Casio E-125 - I don't know why it doesn't include two styli.
iPAQ H1910 - Going cheap I presume so I guess, just like Dell, no extra styli.

Jimmy Dodd
04-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Working backward:
My Toshiba e740 came with one.
My Audiovox Maestro came with three.
My Jornada 458 came with one.
My Jornada 430se came with one.
My Everex Freestyle came with one.

I've yet to lose or break one, though after having said that I'm sure to lose my e740 stylus later today. :D

egads
04-21-2003, 09:11 PM
The tip of my X5's stylus is flopping around like a tooth that's just about ready to fall out. I was going to try to wait till Dell had some good discounts on SD cards or try to dig up one of the Dell snap on KB's just to make the stylus purchase worth while. I too wish Dell would send a few spares. Are the margins so low that they can't ???

Jonathan1
04-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Both my Casio Em500 and my Jornada 568 didn't come with s second stylus. I think if anyone claimed that its a cost thing I would be inclined to think that that's just a copout. These things are generally cheap plastic. So its not like its costing the company another 30 bucks to ship a second stylus with da device.

More importantly then a second stylus I think the quality needs to be improved on most Pocket PC's. If I spend $300-$600 on a new device it would be nice to get a metal stylus with some weight and quality behind it. Then maybe ship a backup cheapo plastic stylus as well. *shrugs* Just a suggestion.

cyclwestks
04-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Don't forget about "losing it". I'm currently using an old iPAQ stylus I retained after selling it. I guess I'm just too chincy, but I don't mind paying the 8 or 9 dollars for the stylus, it's the $9 shipping that's made me not order one yet.

ctmagnus
04-21-2003, 10:32 PM
it would be nice to get a metal stylus with some weight and quality behind it. Then maybe ship a backup cheapo plastic stylus as well.

I concur. I recently obtained a Spacepen (www.spacepen.ca) stylus. I find that if I leave it somewhere and have to use the stock stylus, it feels like I'm holding next to nothing.

While we're on the topic of extra stylii, the developers should ship an extra stylus with a wallet chain-type chain on it. Then we could all be sk8er punks! :fro: :pimp:

Skoobouy
04-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Dang, man, you _broke_ a stylus?

I kinda thought PDA styli were supposed to be thin, but between the iPaq 3635, Jornada 548, and Jornada 567 I've owned, none had or have a stylus that you could easily break. Is the Axim's stylus much thinner or smaller than the Jornada 567's?

oldan
04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
I'm with Skouboy on this one, you broke your Dell stylus? These things are made of some kind of metal!

Actually, I remember that in the old Palm world, you got a free three-pack of syli when you registered your device. They did come in handy when I lost one... but I never broke the little plastic things.

Along those lines, the Dell Stylus is really too darned small, thin for me. I even got used to the original 540 Jornada popsicle stick! But by and large, the best oem stylus (in my book) was the one that came with the Compaq iPaq's. I still pull out my old Palm brass "nail" once in a while an wistfully wish there was a way to stash that thing in my Axim for regular use.

- Oldan

R K
04-22-2003, 12:00 AM
More importantly then a second stylus I think the quality needs to be improved on most Pocket PC's. If I spend $300-$600 on a new device it would be nice to get a metal stylus with some weight and quality behind it. Then maybe ship a backup cheapo plastic stylus as well. *shrugs* Just a suggestion.

One of the issues included with a metal stylus is the fact that it adds weight. I also think that the stylus isn't a big decision factor for buying Pocket PCs. If any one of the current PPC models had a metal stylus included with it, would that attract you to buy it more than the one you currently have?

Brad Adrian
04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
I've never lost or broken a stylus, simply because I never use the ones that come with the Pocket PC. When it was discovered that the dust problem with the older iPAQs and Jornadas was caused by dust getting in through the stylus port, I bought a nice Cross stylus pen and vowed to always keep my device's stylus in its port.

Jason Dunn
04-22-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm with Skouboy on this one, you broke your Dell stylus? These things are made of some kind of metal!

HULK SMASH!! :mrgreen:

No, I broke the tip off of it - the only weak part of the whole stylus. But without that tip, you have a sharp metal stick that doesn't play nice on the screen. :|

Kaber
04-22-2003, 02:23 AM
http://mysite.verizon.net/res02afy/stylus.jpg

ctmagnus
04-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Come to think of it, I've never lost a stylus, but that's just 'cuz I ordered the three-pack of spares when I ordered my iPaq. And I have two more now from warranty exchanges.

I have noticed, however, that some stylii tend to get flat spots from extensive use whereas other stylii from the same manufacturer keep their shape forever.

derosnec
04-22-2003, 06:35 AM
What I wish is for the stores that sell pdas (here in Australia) to either
a) Actually stock some styli (and other accessories) or
b) Stock some that are not the cheapest generic brand you can get.

I remember I lost my HP 545 toothpick - $AU40 for a pack of three which really sucked because I only wanted one. Oh well.

I did order a nice PDA Panache stylus for my e740 - and with y'all as my witness I shall never use a crappy plastic stylus again! :D

Stephen Beesley
04-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Ahh the ol' stylus issue. The best stylus I have ever used on a PDA have been the ones that came with the Newton - especially the one from the Mp2K. Just the right size and weight. Of course the Newton was a lot bigger than current PDAs so it could afford to have a real stylus. About the best of the PPC stylus I have used is the black metal ones from the earlier Ipaqs. I am not sure which Ipaq but they were not quite round. I bought a three pack of them to use with my HP545 and still use them.

Goldtee

[/img]

ctmagnus
04-22-2003, 11:30 PM
About the best of the PPC stylus I have used is the black metal ones from the earlier Ipaqs. I am not sure which Ipaq but they were not quite round.

They're metal? I thought mine were plastic. :confused totally:

Janak Parekh
04-23-2003, 03:17 AM
They were definitely plastic, but I did find them pretty comfortable to hold. You could buy metal replacements that fit into the slot...

--janak

ethancaine
04-23-2003, 03:50 AM
[quote=Jonathan1]If any one of the current PPC models had a metal stylus included with it, would that attract you to buy it more than the one you currently have?

Actually, yes. :!: The fact that the Axim came with a metal-like stylus was a factor in me buying it. Not as big a factor as the price and performance comparisons I had seen, but I vowed to never own another crappy plastic stylus after owning my Palm IIIxe. :twak: If I couldn't have a metal stylus (whether it came standard or purchased seperately), I wouldn't have purchased ANY palmheld computer (of any OS). :razz: