View Full Version : UPDATE: Need opinions on Dell Axim X5: Axim probably won't work for me

mh454
04-19-2003, 10:14 PM
I currently have a Palm m500 which works fine but I'm starting a new job soon that involves setting up GPS guidence systems in farming equipment. All of the software that does mapping and programming runs only on Pocket PC units. The company has there own but they are older iPaq's and I would prefer just to have my own to use (they said thats fine) and then sell my m500. I'm leaning toward this Dell Axim X5 on sale for $297: http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm It looks pretty nice to me. I looked at the ones on HP's site and the model that is comparible to the Dell is like $499! Why are they so much more expensive? Does Dell make good PDA's? It says it comes with a USB cradle (which I would want for home use) but I would also need a serial cable which is needed to hook up the GPS units (they have a female end serial cable). You can choose this under the options when you customize it but I would then not get the USB cradel. I can't find just the serial cable under the accerssories section. Anyone know if you can purchase a serial cable seperately? Thanks.

yvilla
04-20-2003, 03:00 AM
The Dell is a great Pocket PC. Much of the Pocket PC community was overjoyed when Dell finally got into the business--precisely because of its marketing model, usually meaning lower prices.

Yes, you will be able to find a serial cable, you'll probably have a choice of where to buy it from too. There are plenty of other types of aftermarket accessories for the Dell too. As for a serial cable, here is just one place:

http://www.thesupplynet.com/searchresults.cfm?mySearch=mfg&prodMadeBy=285

TheWolfen
04-20-2003, 07:24 AM
I just recently replaced my Jornada with a Dell Axim and I love it. It has great battery life, excellent expandability, and a great screen. Seems pretty durable to me, and that's saying something since the Jornada I had was the king of durability near as I could tell. Sounds like you are considering the Advanced (400MHz) model, which is a good decision.

If you want to visit a community that is specific to the Axim, check out Axim Site (http://www.aximsite.com). It and this site are the two best Pocket PC sites out there as far as I am concerned.

Good luck and I hope you decide to get one.

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2003, 05:19 PM
An interesting point on the AXIM serial capability is that the cable required is an active device. That is, there is more than just wires involved. The AXIM does not interface directly with the serial RS232 standard that serial GPS's use, there is a converter in the cable that does this.

There have been a significant number of issues when using some GPS units attached to the AXIM. The basic issue is that the AXIM expects some RS232 signal to activate the serial port, and Some GPS units expect some indication from the PC/PPC to start sending data. Sometimes that results in a standoff and no data flows.

There are some documented work-arounds, but I thought you should know up front. There are also a number of third party vendors that sell cables specifically designed for various PPC/GPS combos. That ensures reliable operation and eliminates some of the kludginess that comes with having a 6ft GPS cable tied to a null modem and a 6ft PPC serial cable. (Don't sweat the null modem, if the GPS is designed to hook to a PPC you won't need one. If it is intended to hook to a laptop, you will.) Do you know what GPS unit is being used? If it is not proprietary or specifically designed, you could also look into a CF GPS unit.

dhettel
04-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Yes, if the GPS is connecting by a serial cable the Axim might be a poor choice. At least one GPS cable provider provides a GPS to Axim only solution. So you can NOT send anything to the GPS. That means info store on your GPS may not be available to you. Because you can not put the GPS into the correct mode. Or the GPS times out waiting for the PPC to acknowledge that it has received the first packet.

David

yvilla
04-20-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm no expert in this area, but the SupplyNet link I provided above has both a standard serial cable for the Axim, plus a whole bunch of cables designed for specific GPS units/the Axim. Won't such a specifc GPS cable eliminate the potential problems you are referring to?

dhettel
04-20-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm no expert in this area, but the SupplyNet link I provided above has both a standard serial cable for the Axim, plus a whole bunch of cables designed for specific GPS units/the Axim. Won't such a specifc GPS cable eliminate the potential problems you are referring to?

I can not speak to the SupplyNet cable that you refer to. I did notice that all include a DC charger, that makes me question if they require 12 Volts to work. If all you need is your location on a map it may not bother you. However, if you need to interact with your GPS, say a Garmin GPS. And you wish to up-load and/or down-load waypoints or routes The Dell has some design choices you need to be aware of.

David

mh454
04-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks for this info about the serial port. I don't know too much about what I'm working with yet (just know its equipment that uses GPS). I think I better talk to the company that makes this hardware that I will be working with to see if they have tested any of it with the Axim for problems. The sale on Dell's website last till Thursday so I'll have time to find out. If the Axim happens to be a not compatable, what other brand/model would you recommend for around $300? Thanks again.

mh454
04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Ok I just went to the site that makes all of the equipment. Starting looking around trying to find this particular software thats for the Pocket PC. Well I'm glad I did because right at the bottom of this page: http://www.trimble.com/aggps_ezmap_specs.html it says "AgGPS EZ-Map is not yet supported on Dell Axim devices." It does say yet so maybe something is in the works. I'll probably contact them about that. Thanks again for bringing that serial issue up.

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Definately talk to the company. I looked at their web page and even read the manual bit they have on line. The Dell serial cable, which is required was not even available until fairly recently. Prior to that item being released, there was no easy way to hook a serial GPS to a Dell. They may still believe this to be the case, or have just not looked into it again.

There was nothing that seemed terribly unusual about the hook-up to the GPS in the manual. For no other reason than the exceptional popularity of the AXIM, the company ought to re-look at supporting it, or determining that it does (or does not) work with the now available AXIM serial cable.

As far as other devices that may work, I think you will be hard pressd to find one at the $300 level. I don't believe that the Viewsonic V35 or the HP 1910 have serial capability, and those are the only other two down that low in price.

dhettel
04-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Based on what I read, I would say the Axim should work with this software. One problem you might have is if the Axim will support the

"The AgGPS EZ-Map spray switch adaptor cable is supplied with AgGPS EZ-Map software. Connect a master sprayer, spreader, or planter switch to the switch adaptor cable to start and stop coverage logging automatically when crop inputs are applied or planted. Therefore, no additional buttons need to be pressed to log the field operation."

This kind of Switching info is generally done on a RTS CTS line. I know the iPAQs support mostly all lines in an Rs232 connection. From what I've read, this could be a problem with the Axim, as the line they could be using for this feature could be the same line that Dell uses to turn the serial port on and off. So in a worst case, you switch the master sprayer, spreader, or planter switch to the switch adaptor cable to start and stop coverage logging automatically when crop inputs are applied or planted, and instead you are turn on or off the serial port as well loosing all GPS info during this time.

I would want to know what lines PN 46635 uses, to signal the Status of the master switch, and if the Dell can read this line, also if the serial adapter will support it. While I'm not a farmer, I think this would be a major user feature. That I would want enable.

David