View Full Version : A Sneak Peek at Pocket PC Phone Edition 2003

Jason Dunn
04-18-2003, 09:14 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sneak_Peek_at_PPCPE_2003' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/S...k_at_PPCPE_2003</a><br /><br /></div>Recently, Microsoft gave out Pocket PC 2003 SDKs at the recent MDC conference in France. And the people at the event were not under NDA. And someone has leaked some screen shots that I can't say anything about. And there you have it - go look.<br /><br />And I guess this means I can finally confirm that, yes, there really is a Pocket PC 2003 out there somewhere. :mrgreen:

mscdex
04-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Is it just me or does the Processor information look a little fishy in this screenshot? http://msmobiles.com/articles/pocketpc2003phoneedition/4.gif
:lol:

CodeSurge
04-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Is it just me or does the Processor information look a little fishy in this screenshot? http://msmobiles.com/articles/pocketpc2003phoneedition/4.gif

Isn't the SDK running on a desktop, and not a mobile device?
That would explain the Pentium III CPU screenshot.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2003, 09:45 PM

That's correct. Gee, a question on this post I can actually answer. :roll: :lol:

PJE
04-18-2003, 09:57 PM
As the next version of CE should be more configurable than the current one, I would expect Microsoft has held back on the main GUI revisions, and only the application changes are really relevant....

...or at least I really hope this is the case! The changes seem to be far too limited for a PocketPC 2003 release.

My 2c

mscdex
04-18-2003, 09:59 PM

Well, except they show a PPCPE with this screenshot on the same page.....

Duncan
04-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Well, except they show a PPCPE with this screenshot on the same page.....

The emulator can take skins. The picture is showing a screenshot within an emulator skin.

bdegroodt
04-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Am I the only one that was expecting to see more but was disappointed to see only a nominal upgrade to the UI?

Duncan
04-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Except for the 'OK' button I find the UI to be perfect. Why mess with what works?

bdegroodt
04-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Except for the 'OK' button I find the UI to be perfect. Why mess with what works?

Just expected more from it. I could beat the "why make something better" err, fix what works argument for days, but I'll let it go.

Duncan
04-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Just expected more from it. I could beat the "why make something better" err, fix what works argument for days, but I'll let it go.

No, please... what needs improving with the UI?

bdegroodt
04-18-2003, 11:49 PM

No, please... what needs improving with the UI?

Said I wasn't going to and I'm not. I'd like to hear the answer to my question without creating any more bias than it already implies. I'll take it that you think it's the Holy Grail of phone/pda UI.

Anyone else like it/disappointed in it as an update?

Duncan
04-19-2003, 12:19 AM
I'll take it that you think it's the Holy Grail of phone/pda UI.

No. I didn't say that. But it works and I'm not sure what I would change to 'improve' it.

R K
04-19-2003, 12:38 AM
I saw the juiciest bits of info regarding PPC2003 at FirstLoox.

http://firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=1075

You might be required to register to view the article.

Improved OS stability/reliability;

Windows Media Player Series 9;

A new Connection Manager to simplify LAN/BT/GPRS connectivity;

Integrated support for Bluetooth;

A new Picture Viewer app;

An all-new version of Pocket IE, supporting HTML 4.01, JScript 5.5, cascading style sheets and IPv6;

Improved network security including IPsec, 802.1x, Wep rekeying;

Remote device management via XML.

Now I'm wondering if this post is going to get delted Real Soon Now(TM).

Kevin Daly
04-19-2003, 12:47 AM
I understand the PPC2003 is basically a bug fix and the good stuff is being saved for 2-3 years (eeeeeeeek!).

It's good that the XScale optimisation issue seems to be being addressed (I hope I've got that right), but there are a few other things that would be nice Real Soon:

1) Improved versions of the Office applications. We all know this, so come on MS, just DO IT.
2) Support for higher resolutions. We don't want the Palmies (OK, Sony) to make us look silly, do we?
3) A not-confusing,fiddly-and-icky-to-the-point-of-depair system for dealing with Internet (and other) connectivity."Connections" is abysmal.

Foo Fighter
04-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Anyone else like it/disappointed in it as an update?

Yes, I'm disappointed that no changes have been made to the UI. Something desperately needs to be done to improve multitasking navigation, and app closing. I expected much more than this. :|

sponge
04-19-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm a bit disappointed in the UI. Seeing what they did with stock CE.net I was expecting more of the cool interface that the Nexio has, or, something that bothers me a LOT, put the start menu back at the bottom where it belongs! The jump from CE 2.11 to PPC 2000 seemed like they were trying to imitate Palm, and the jump to PPC 2002 didn't seem much innovation either. I want a cascading start menu WITHOUT an addon program!

Now, if they don't update the built in apps that much, I'll be REALLY peeved. The new IE4-comprable browser looks really sweet, IE4 is when IE started to become useful. But as of right now, I'm getting the impression they're taking their sweet time with PPC2003. I guess we'll find out for sure.

&lt;/rant>

Kevin Daly
04-19-2003, 12:57 AM
3) A not-confusing,fiddly-and-icky-to-the-point-of-depair system for dealing with Internet (and other) connectivity."Connections" is abysmal.

Just read about the new Connection Manager...hope springs eternal.
We'll see.

Foo Fighter
04-19-2003, 12:57 AM
The only real change that was made to the UI is the color of window elements and widgets (such as scrollbars) has been changed from the old Grey look to a more XP-like tan color. Other than that, it's still the same old PPC 2002.

bdegroodt
04-19-2003, 12:59 AM
The only real change that was made to the UI is the color of window elements and widgets (such as scrollbars) has been changed from the old Grey look to a more XP-like tan color. Other than that, it's still the same old PPC 2002.

Scroll! Now that's an idea that comes to mind. Do any of the PPCPE units use a scroll wheel for navigation? I know my TM/XDA didn't, but that sure would be a nice addition.

mc_03
04-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Maybe the close button actually closes programs! Or would that be too much to ask? :lol:

MS added another game, "Jawbreaker" to complement solitaire, a picture viewer (probably sucks!), a new connection wizard, a new bluetooth manager, slightly enhanced Pocket IE...

this took them 2 YEARS?!?!?! 8O How come we don't have that cool today screen that the Nexio has, how come the start menu is on the wrong part of the screen? How come we don't get an improved Office, or a more XP-like interface? Where_is_lanscape_mode?!

Well they did change the default grey bottom bar to tan (which gets overidden with a different Today theme anyway!) :?

bdegroodt
04-19-2003, 01:32 AM
MS added another game, "Jawbreaker" ...

Does this replace the "Ballbreaker" game that comes standard now? You know the one where it drops your calls and causes all kinds of other mayhem? :twisted:

What? I couldn't resist. Sorry. Self-> :bangin:&lt;-Self

Jason Dunn
04-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Does this replace the "Ballbreaker" game that comes standard now? You know the one where it drops your calls and causes all kinds of other mayhem?

ROTFLMAO.... :lol: :lol: :? 8O :pukeface: :oops: :D :lol:

MultiMatt
04-19-2003, 01:41 AM
WHAT is that unit in the article? I've never seen it before!
Kind of resembles WANDA (www.ti.com/wanda).
I like the looks of it!

Matt

dh
04-19-2003, 02:00 AM
I used to wish for improvements to the built in apps. Since I started to get some good third party apps, I realize that I would prefer to not have the built-in ones at all and save some space.

(Actually, I realize that might be self defeating since I think Pocket Informant and @mail actually use the data from the built-ins).

The only one of the built-in jobbies I use is Internet Explorer which looks to be getting an upgrade anyway. I rarely use Pocket Excel but once Softmaker finish their spreadsheet there will be no need for Excel either. I don't care about Windows Media Player since PocketMVP is much better anyway.

Making the OS a little bit more refined and improving ActiveSync would keep me very happy for a while.

bdegroodt
04-19-2003, 02:08 AM
How about always on email/auto connect every x minutes via GPRS for email?

guinness
04-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Anyone have that WMP 9 skin? I don't think it would be violating anything to share it, would it? I would at least expect a spiffed up UI in PPC 2003, but if it doesn't support landscape mode natively, I'll be kind of disappointed.

mscdex
04-19-2003, 02:54 AM
I'm a bit disappointed in the UI. Seeing what they did with stock CE.net I was expecting more of the cool interface that the Nexio has, or, something that bothers me a LOT, put the start menu back at the bottom where it belongs! The jump from CE 2.11 to PPC 2000 seemed like they were trying to imitate Palm, and the jump to PPC 2002 didn't seem much innovation either. I want a cascading start menu WITHOUT an addon program!

I agree, I wish MS would implement something like what IcBar/WisBar has... they have some nice skins... especially some of the XP skins for wisbar. Also, native landscape support should be included, because my ipaq has some problem with 3rd party landscape software and hard resetting :roll:. And the start menu being at the bottom would really be nice to have again, it's one thing I miss from my old e-100. Another thing I miss from my e-100 is the way you set up connections, it looked more win9x/2k and I just like that kind of look and feel.

Oh, and one more thing... even though obvious by the screenshots available, MS should have had some sort of actual desktop implemented into PPC2k3, like their PC counterparts. I know their are 3rd party programs, but native support would have been better (the 3rd party programs out there aren't that great at all...).

Just my 2¢.

kidA
04-19-2003, 05:46 AM
I'll take it that you think it's the Holy Grail of phone/pda UI.

No. I didn't say that. But it works and I'm not sure what I would change to 'improve' it.
well, if it's not the Holy Grail, it's not perfect. if it's not perfect, there's room for improvement.
as for the why fix what works argmument, Larry Bird used to say that if he's not shooting 100% from the floor and from the line, there's room for improvement. plus in the GUI world, you have to change things pretty frequently just to shake things up a bit. no one would argue that the palm OS has a bad, unfriendly GUI, only that they've had the same one for seven freakin' years. it's by no means bad, it's just boring and needs a change.

kidA
04-19-2003, 05:48 AM
WHAT is that unit in the article? I've never seen it before!
Kind of resembles WANDA (www.ti.com/wanda).
I like the looks of it!

Matt
it is a very cool device, but WANDA, what an unfortunate acronym. :oops:

MultiMatt
04-19-2003, 03:12 PM
Can someone identify what this is?
http://www.pocketpcLouisville.com/images/device.jpg
I've never seen this device before...
A prototype for a future device or what?
Matt

Foo Fighter
04-19-2003, 03:23 PM
I don't think this is a real device. Just a graphics mock-up.

BTS
04-19-2003, 04:24 PM
I used to wish for improvements to the built in apps. Since I started to get some good third party apps, I realize that I would prefer to not have the built-in ones at all and save some space.

It would be nice to put your third party app into the ROM where the built in app currently is (or can you already do that?). I would think that while Microsoft will provide built in versions of programs they're not going to provide a program with a full feature set. Wouldn't they seriously affect the third party software market that way (ie. look at IE as a case in point)?

NeilE
04-21-2003, 06:06 AM
That's just a device mock-up one of our hardware guys did as an emulator skin. It's not a real pre-production or prototype, just something that helps us avoid trademark issues with using a real device pic :)

adamz
04-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Did anybody else notice... the start menu items are now keyboard accessible?! Very nice! That'll make keyboard attachments a bit more usable!

http://msmobiles.com/articles/pocketpc2003phoneedition/10.jpg

markph
04-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Am I the only one that was expecting to see more but was disappointed to see only a nominal upgrade to the UI?

Your not the only one, I was wondering the same. Does it even pivot applications (landscape) yet?

Maybe not in popularity, but TrollTech still has a better looking UI on the PocketPC running...

http://www.trolltech.com/screenshots/qtopia.html?cid=6

Of course...with our wireless scanners...the users could care less! :D

Belated :new-bday: PPC!

Jonathon Watkins
04-28-2003, 11:15 PM
I hope there's more, :| I really do. :?

It would not be good for Palmies to kick silicon in our faces. :cry:

Lets hope this is but the tip of the iceberg and the good stuff is still under NDA. (But I'm not getting my hopes up). :!: