View Full Version : HP 1910 or Zayo A600?

exsilio
04-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Hey all,

Well let me first say I love my 1910...but I just saw the Zayo is at the same price.

I love the size of my 1910, but the Zayo doesn't seem that much bigger..especially considering:

It's faster and has more accesible memory.

Any thoughts?

Janak Parekh
04-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately, the Zayo has a reflective screen, not transflective like the 1910. If that doesn't bother you, it's not a terrible choice.

--janak

ombu
04-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Don't even think about it, the 1910 is great, speed? well, at 300 MHz I don't see any issue.

Regards.

handheldplanet
04-18-2003, 05:28 PM
You probably won't notice any difference in speed between the two. The screen on the 1910 is better, and in my opinion the 1910 has the better form factor - it's definitely smaller.

Of course the Zayo has cool lighty uppy buttons :D

charger71
04-18-2003, 08:50 PM
I've owned a 3955, V35, 1910, and a Zayo..

Form factor wise, both the zayo and 1910 are very small and slim. The 1910 is smaller, but as a result has a smaller stylus and smaller, close together buttons. The Zayo has a better feeling D pad.

Screen wise, of course the 1910 wins hands down. The reflective screen on the zayo doesnt bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. The colors are nice and the screen is bright, but the 1910 is much nicer.

Performance wise, it depends on your use. Light PIM and small files, the 1910 is fine. Larger, graphical games, and good quality video is another story. Even things like loading pictures takes a while on the 1910. Games take longer to load and are slower.. I loved the 1910 but the speed did drive me crazy. I tried overclocking it, which did help, but also has drawbacks.. For one, the pda heats up and feels warmer.. definately not comforting.. and even at the fastest 300mhz setting you get, its still slower than the zayo at 400. I have a video clip encoded at around 500kbps, excellent quality, full screen, 24fps. The 1910 cranks out 9fps, which is jerky and poor.. at 300 mhz it gets 14fps, and 16fps at 300mhz run mode (the mode that really heats up the 1910).. The Zayo at 400mhz gets 24fps solidly.. Pictures load instantly, games load faster and run smoother.

Battery wise.. PIM usage and the 1910 is fine.. start playing games, using the backlight, you'll see around 2hrs of life.. overclock it and you lose even more.. The Zayo, PIM usage, some games, backlight 3/4th up, gets around 5 hours. Used mostly for gaming and video at 400mhz, I get 3-4 hours. Much better for the Zayo..

Expansion.. Both have SD slots, Zayo is reportedly SDIO, just needs drivers, no SDIO on 1910. Zayo has a CF sled with built in battery, which addes another 5-6 hours of life, and the expandability that comes with a CF slot (wi-fi, bt, cameras, modems, etc)

Basically it comes down to you.. Both are the same price now.. I chose the Zayo because I use my pda for everything from video clips, maps, avantgo, wireless, etc... to me, the 1910 really bogs down on intensive things, and I want my pda to be snappy, and run something when I tap it. :D

If you're after the best screen, then the 1910 is the way to go.. But like I tried to point out, it does have drawbacks, and isnt perfect for everyone.

exsilio
04-19-2003, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the great feedback all!

If having a small device with a great screen wasn't my main priority I would be all over the Zayo. I would love to have the faster speed. But I am willing to live with the trade-off.

Thanks again all!! :wink: