View Full Version : Cat with maybe stupid question

BillTheCat
04-18-2003, 01:03 AM
... to wit:

I just got a Lexar 256MB SD card for my PPCPE.

Now, (you can see this coming can't you?) How do I use it?

I mean, how does one move programs to the card, or install programs to the card? Right now, I have 31MB in the main memory, of which only 5.78MB is free for storage, and 5.47 free for programs.

any clues what to do? Yes I added a few phone tones. Yes I have a few desktop pages. Nothing too out of line.

how to use the card, and how to clean up the main memory?

Thanks!

Janak Parekh
04-18-2003, 02:00 AM
To install applications to the storage card, uninstall them from main memory, and then try reinstalling them. When you do so, ActiveSync asks if you want to put it in the default location; say No.

Mind you, system-level apps are better installed in the main memory, but just about everything else will work fine from the storage card.

--janak

BillTheCat
04-18-2003, 02:49 AM
Janak, I hate to sound like a goof, but how exactly do I do that? If I put a ring tone or picture file in the pocketpc_my doc folder it is send across when I synch. I have no imput on where it goes.

Cortex
04-18-2003, 02:56 AM
btc,

you need to go to settings and remove the program from the main memory that you would like to install on the sd card. then using active sync, reinstall the program. on the reinstall page there is a check box near the bottom that asks "use the default location?". you need to uncheck this box. then when the program installs a popup window will appear asking if you want to install the program in the main memory -- this is in the form of a pull down list. click the pull down and choose "storage card". it will then install the program onto the storage card.

if you want to transfer files to the storage card directly click explore device from within activesync. you can then explore the files on the device including the storage card and you can drag and drop files onto the storage card.

hope that helps....

Sven Johannsen
04-18-2003, 03:03 AM
I'm making an assumptin the PPCPE is like any other PPC in this respect. Go to ActiveSync on the esktop and click Explore. Along with all the stuff you expect to see in your My Documents folder, there is a My Pocket PC icon. Double click that to get out of My Documents and into the root of the PPC(PE). You will see the My Documents folder, but also Windows, Program Files, and other folders. Also there will be a folder called something like Storage Card, or SD card (varies by OEM).

You can open and drag things into the Storage Card folder just like into any other folder on the desktop. Things you put in a sync'd files folder on the desktop only go into My Documents on the main device. You should consider creating a My Documents folder on the storage card, since the OS structure looks in that to provide the file lists for the built in apps (Word, Excel, etc.

As far as loadng apps to the storage card, in AS on the tolls menu, there is an Add/Remove programs option. open that and the Add/Remove feature will come up. There is a check box that says "Install program into the default installation folder." Uncheck that and when you run an install, a dialog will pop up asking if you wish to install in the default folder. Say No, and you will get a dialog with a dropdown that gives you options, including the storage card. The add/remove programs page is also where you uninstall things (from main Ram) so you can re-install them to the storage card. You just need to uncheck a program and click OK, it will indicate it is going to uninstall the program. Restore the check and it will re-install, providing the option.

BillTheCat
04-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Sven,

Your instructions were perfect. I went to the storage card sub folder, and then made another inside as you suggested. I also made one for music for a few mp3's.

Thank you. Thanks all. I now know a lot more than when this thread started.

:clap: