View Full Version : Transcriber 1.51 Released

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 04:30 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8b343c3-2eee-41e3-9339-f7b303f4b386&displaylang=en">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8b343c3-2eee-41e3-9339-f7b303f4b386&displaylang=en</a><br /><br />I have no idea what is new in this version. I suspect it is just some better recognition algorithms, but that is pure speculation on my part. If anyone knows, post info in this thread. This is for Pocket PC 2002 devices only. Since the Pocket PC 2002 has Transcriber in ROM, this means if you install this update, you will give up some of your device's RAM, so I'd install it only if you are a regular Transcriber user. There are versions for English, French and German.

Solarix
04-17-2003, 04:34 PM
Anyone wanna give it a try? I would right now except I don't have a sync cradle here at work. Lemmie know if its worth the RAM space. And I am assuming that this version will be included in the next ROM update from HP for my iPaq.

Andy Whiteford
04-17-2003, 04:43 PM
I read elsewhere that recognition is slightly faster and more accurate. No other details.

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 04:55 PM
And I am assuming that this version will be included in the next ROM update from HP for my iPaq.
I don't know that I'd assume that. It may be in the next EUU or next ROM build that HP does, and it may not. WMP 7.1 never made it into a ROM build from HP/Compaq for the 3600 Pocket PCs.

brntcrsp
04-17-2003, 04:56 PM
WMP 7.1 never made it into a ROM build from HP/Compaq for the 3600 Pocket PCs.

And some consider that as much a blessing as a curse.

Forgot the obligatory emoticon :wink:

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2003, 05:01 PM
And some consider that as much a blessing as a curse.
:bangin:

:wink: :lol:

Sheynk
04-17-2003, 05:05 PM
I installed it on my e755 and got "you already have Transcriber 1.5 do you what to re-install"

Does this mean I have 1.51 or just 1.50? hmmm

bljarv
04-17-2003, 05:19 PM
As a Transcriber die hard, I went to go install the update. I received the same, "You already have..." message, but when I got done with the upgrade, the "About" screen still says 1.5 std (e).

Anyone else have the same experience?

Sheynk
04-17-2003, 05:23 PM
As a Transcriber die hard, I went to go install the update. I received the same, "You already have..." message, but when I got done with the upgrade, the "About" screen still says 1.5 std (e).

yeah me...in the post above yours...lol

bljarv
04-17-2003, 05:30 PM
yeah me...in the post above yours...lol

Anyone else???? :D I'm thinking that there's got to be more than two of us out there!

bbarker
04-17-2003, 05:46 PM

I installed it a day or two ago and had the same thing. I just now removed it because I don't use Transcriber much and don't want to use up the memory. I'd be willing to reinstall it if someone reports that it improves recognition quite a bit.

When I removed it from the Remove Programs function on my PPC, at the end it told me Transcriber was successfully removed and that the ROM version was reenabled. That was a helpful touch.

yschang
04-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Transcriber was not included in the ROM in asian devices, may be because English is not the main language.
But I do take all my notes in English though and with the primitive English input devices on my PPC, it was a pain in the backside for me.
I bought the Spb Virtual Keyboard today and it was Great! :mrgreen: And now I found out that Transcriber is available for free, it was Great too!!! :mrgreen:
I am not short of RAM space so I just installed it straight away.
And to top it off, I wrote this post first with Spb VK and then with Transcriber! :mrgreen:
What can I ask more for one day?

Timothy Rapson
04-17-2003, 06:20 PM
If I remember correctly there was a new version of Transcriber released just before PPC 2002 showed up.

On top of this is the news (from SuccessWizard on PDA Buzz) that one software developer has announced a new product for CE 4.0 and PPC2003 available in June. That makes June the latest that PPC could be done and shipping in products.

It won't be long now.

tewmgd
04-17-2003, 06:23 PM
I've installed this version and when you read the help file, at the bottom you can read "Microsoft Transcriber Version 1.51".

The recognition seems to be faster and more accurate for some letters.

karinatwork
04-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Well, I have a h1910, which doesn't have Transcriber installed in ROM (like Windows Media Player), and I didn't install it when I bought my device, because I wasn't too happy with the previous versions of Transcriber (which I tried to use on my E-125). Well, I installed it now, and after a few tests I have to say it's pretty impressive. I guess I will be using it much more often now. I installed onto my SD card, works fine.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you how it is compared to version 1.5, or what the differences are (if any) because I only used a much older version of it. But for anyone who DOESN'T have it installed in ROM, like me, it's worth a try... :)

Karin

Jason Dunn
04-17-2003, 06:47 PM
I installed onto my SD card, works fine.

You may end up seeing some quirky problems with this - typically, anything that is accessed at boot up after a soft reset (input methods, today screen plugins, etc.) should be installed into RAM. The Pocket PC isn't perfect when it comes to loading things off memory cards in the right order at boot, so glitches may result...

Janak Parekh
04-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you how it is compared to version 1.5, or what the differences are (if any) because I only used a much older version of it. But for anyone who DOESN'T have it installed in ROM, like me, it's worth a try... :)
Of course, in your case, I believe 1.5 also came on the CD.

--janak

bljarv
04-17-2003, 07:14 PM
On a similar note, in the Transcriber options, I crank the "Speed of Recognition vs. Quality" slider clear over to the Quality side and have never been able to tell any performance hits. My recognition has always been acceptable. Anyone else do this? Any performance gains/issues?

I'll apologize in advance if this post belongs in a different thread.

karinatwork
04-17-2003, 07:42 PM
You may end up seeing some quirky problems with this

Jason, don't scare me!! 8O

Really, I have almost all my programs installed on SD card, and I never noticed any problems *fingers crossed*. Even all of my today plug ins!!!

Thanks for the hint though... if glitches should come up, at least I know what the problem could be and I might be able to fix it. :D

Skoobouy
04-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Maybe I should try this too. I really like Transcriber on my Jornada. I only have a few frustrations with it:

1. The only really good way to distinguish 0's from O's is to put a diagonal slash through the 0's. I hate that, but I think you can work around it by writing an unambiguous number next to them and then deleting it. So, if I want '00', I can write '300' and delete the '3'. I believe it sees the '3' and assumes that the other characters in the string will also be numbers.

2. I hate it when Transcriber confuses my lower case letters for upper case and vice-versa. Happens really often with X's, Z's, S's, O's, and C's. The only way to gaurantee the size of a letter is to write another, less ambiguous letter next to it. So, if I want a capital 'S', I write 'Se' and delete the 'e'. If I want a lower case 's', I write 'se', making sure that both letters are the same size. Even if they are both really big ('se') they will register as lower case because of the style of the 'e'.

3. I can never decide which is better--space after completed words or no space. Writing full sentences is tedious without the automatic space, but correcting mistakes is really tedious with it. Sometimes it seems like Transciber can tell the difference between the two activities and work appropriately, but this is very inconsistent.

Anyway, I haven't tried the new version yet so I'll check it out and report back.

Brad Adrian
04-18-2003, 02:48 AM
I hate it when Transcriber confuses my lower case letters for upper case and vice-versa.
Don't forget about the "change case" gesture for quickly fixing these misinterpretations. Just put the cursor to the left of the characater you want to change from lower case to upper (or vice versa) and do a quick "up gesture." Likewise, you can change the case of an entire word by first highlighting the word, then doing the "up gesture."

There are quite a few gestures like that for editing, so I periodically review the Help file to make sure I remember how to use them all.

Fzara
04-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Im convinced that Transcriber doesnt work at all.

I downloaded the English version, saved it to my desktop, and then opened it. I then hit the "continue" button, and then all of a sudden, a quick flash of "extracting" comes up, (setup.exe, etc.), and then the setup dialog box closes.

Now what!? So setup.exe and other important files were extracted, but IT WONT BLOODDY INSTALL, because the dialog box closes!!!

Any help would be appreicated.

ctmagnus
04-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Im convinced that Transcriber doesnt work at all.

I downloaded the English version, saved it to my desktop, and then opened it. I then hit the "continue" button, and then all of a sudden, a quick flash of "extracting" comes up, (setup.exe, etc.), and then the setup dialog box closes.

Now what!? So setup.exe and other important files were extracted, but IT WONT BLOODDY INSTALL, because the dialog box closes!!!

Any help would be appreicated.

I had to remove the iPaq from the cradle (ie, terminate ActiveSync) to get setup to go.