View Full Version : Pilots and Logbooks

ERJRy
04-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Just curious what PPC logbooks you would recommend. It's the next software app that I need for Axim. Any help is always greatly appreciated!!

Busdriver
04-17-2003, 09:00 AM
I maintain a desktop computer logbook with LogbookPro (http://www.logbookpro.com). They released a PPC companion a few months ago that can sorta synch with the desktop version. I'm not that happy with the PPC companion and have been using Handbase that will import into the desktop version. But I expect them to release a better PPC version in the not-to-distant future. The desktop version of LogbookPro is outstanding and they provide great customer support.

hiroProtagonist
04-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Just curious what PPC logbooks you would recommend.

So far, I've simply created a Pocket Excel spreadsheet with the columns I need. Not very elegant, but quick (and free).

Busdriver, do you keep only an electronic logbook? Or do you keep it for reference, and also maintain a paper log? I'm thinking it's difficult to get endorsment signatures electronically :?

later...josh

Busdriver
04-17-2003, 06:31 PM
It's impossible to get electronic endorsements. In other words, as I understand it, to be legal, you must have any endorsements written and signed on a piece of paper. I also understand (Can't quote a reg, so take it FWIW) that it could be the back of a napkin. So I think what some people do is use LogbookPro, print out the logbook, then format something in Word or some other word processor, get the signature on that, then put it with the hardcopy of the logbook.

I've always kept a paper logbook and have filled up 4 of them. But I'm at the point now where I doubt I will ever need any kind of written endorsement, and will use the PPC and LogbookPro from now on. Hopefully in the not-to distant future the FAA will allow electronic endorsements.

I'll also say this, if you plan to job hunt, I would recommend that you keep a paper version of a logbook that you could present at the interview and use the computer version (If desired) to help keep the paper version accurate.

ERJRy
04-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys. I was leaning towards Logbook Pro. I already have a freeware desktop logbook which is very nice, but I really want to track times with my Axim.

Anyway, thanks again. Now I need to get off this furlough list- I'll be all set. :(

Busdriver
04-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Best of luck.