View Full Version : PPC FAQ Topics

trachy
04-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Steve has started a good post entitled Pony's Posting Proverbs (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11413) that I think raises a good question: What are some of the obvious questions that get asked all the time? If we compile a list of questions and answers, maybe we can get them posted somewhere easily accessible to noobs?

Steve mentions two good ones:

1. How do I do a hard reset on my PPC?
2. What good software is out there?

I have one to add:

3. What's the difference between SD and CF?

Anyone else have some they'd like to nominate?

- Drew

Steven Cedrone
04-16-2003, 04:18 PM
To be honest with you I think there isn't a need for a FAQ. Well maybe a 1 topic FAQ: How can I search the site so that I can find the things I need...(not being sarcastic)

If you practice using the search pages, you can usually find exactly what you need...

Just my .02!

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Steve's points are good, but there might indeed be a core of basic questions best served by a FAQ. Some of us have discussed implementing one on the site, and it might happen in the future, after some of the upcoming features are launched. In the meantime, as soon as I get a chance, I'll start populating the Q&A section...

--janak

thomas1973
05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Steve's points are good, but there might indeed be a core of basic questions best served by a FAQ. Some of us have discussed implementing one on the site, and it might happen in the future, after some of the upcoming features are launched. In the meantime, as soon as I get a chance, I'll start populating the Q&A section...

--janak
If you do write a FAQ, how about a BIG ol' banner saying something like 'New to the PPC world? Be sure to read this first!' on your sign-up page, linking to the PPC newbie FAQ? That way, you can catch them just before comitting the crime.

Thomas.

Jacob
05-23-2003, 04:38 PM
If you do write a FAQ, how about a BIG ol' banner saying something like 'New to the PPC world? Be sure to read this first!' on your sign-up page, linking to the PPC newbie FAQ? That way, you can catch them just before comitting the crime.

Thomas.

That could be accomplished by a "Sticky" thread on the forums that would stay at the top.

This would not take up space on the front page and hopefully be the first thing people will notice when they go to the forums to ask.

trachy
05-23-2003, 05:42 PM
I particularly like the way Handango does this. The first time I visited their site I obediently clicked on 'First Timers, Click Here'.

Autarch
07-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Here's my entry:

"What's the difference between the iPAQ xxx0 and the xxx5?"

I'm a relative noob, but I've probably seen this one 20 times already.

The Half-Ling
07-30-2003, 04:11 PM
xxx0=corpate machines
xxx5=consumer machines

They are exzactly the same, some people who are overly supersticious believe that one may be better that the other but they are both the same :-p same parts same rom same included CD, same chitty Q-Media Graphics card *oops getting off topic* I like have the 5555, just cuz I like the way the number looks :lol:

Jake-

Autarch
07-30-2003, 04:26 PM
xxx0=corpate machines
xxx5=consumer machines

They are exzactly the same, some people who are overly supersticious believe that one may be better that the other but they are both the same

This is one of the few questions I know the answer to; I thought this thread was to propose topics for a FAQ. :)

Godsongz
07-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Here's a question for the FAQ that I see constantly in the newsgroups... "What is this Ignore_My_Docs file and why does it keep coming back when I delete it?"

JvanEkris
07-30-2003, 09:00 PM
On our forum we heva implemented a FAQ for every section, by making a sticky (closed) post in every section we have. So we have a FAQ for the PDA-specific forums like IPAQ, Tosh, Loox, Axim etc, showing the basics of the specific PDA's: the best tools to buy, where to find good manuals, what product-specific sites, etc. Also the usage-oriented topics like the application section, wireless section, GPRS and GPS have their own FAQ's showing people the ropes. Even our "Hall of Shame" has it's own FAQ :devilboy: .

It takes some time to maintain but it saves a lot of time wasted by answering those repeating questions.

Jaap

Thinkingmandavid
07-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Everyones comments and inputs have really been great.
Janak has raised a good point and I think we should see that there is a FAQ section.
JvanEkris, ya'll have a good thing going there it sounds to me. When you posted that I got to thinking it would be a great idea. Basic questions could be answered and even referred back to if we ever forgot or wanted to do some brushing up or see how far things have come in the ppc community. The more newbies referred there, the faster they will learn about ppc's. This is because they wont have to wait for a reply, they can read it all at one sitting and learn as they apply what they are reading;)

Jeff Rutledge
07-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Personally, I think FAQ's are good to a point. They need to be general enough that there aren't hundreds of them, but not so vague that they just lead to more questions.

Also, are we talking about a site FAQ or a technical FAQ? I believe it's the latter. If so, what's the best way to present the info? I'm not sure stickies are the best way to go.

Perhaps a main level called FAQ and a few forums underneath for sections (wireless, device-specific, etc.). Or perhaps a forum format isn't the way to go at all. Maybe it should be a separate section all together that has its own template. The advantage of the forum format is that it's familiar and will be (likely) easier to maintain.

Still, I agree with Steve that the most useful FAQ would be "How to use the Search feature" as all the information is already here (somewhere...).

JvanEkris
07-31-2003, 12:26 AM
Still, I agree with Steve that the most useful FAQ would be "How to use the Search feature" as all the information is already here (somewhere...).I don't quite agree. I've tried it a couple of times. The difference between newbies and the other forum-members does not necesarily is that they do not use the search function.

You and i are "mentally programmed" to search PocketPC forums. being a little experienced in specific terms commonly used in posts regarding specific subjects, you and i easily find our way searching. You can say "GPRS dial-up string" to the search function, indicating that you want to know a dial-up string for your specific provider. A newbie is not mentally programmed yet, trying the wrong keywords like "internet", "phone", "dial-in" and "modem". This implies that the search function is useless when you are new to the forum. A bit of having a encyclopedia in chinese. You see a lot, you know your answer is in there, but getting it out, finding your way, that is the problem.

Jaap