View Full Version : iPAQ 5455 On/Off Button(s)

Bob Anderson
04-15-2003, 08:07 PM
OK... After 2+ years I headed off to Best Buy and got myself a sleek 5455. Wow, how things have changed since my trusty old 3630!

After a few days of use, I'd reach into my briefcase to pick up the iPaq and it would be warm, and I thought to myself, I know I turned this thing off when I put it in there. Upon trying to power it on, nothing would happen. I plugged it into the AC adapter and away we went...

So, being dumb from time-to-time I just thought I had left the unit on (not realizing that even if I did, it should shut off after 3 minutes of non-use.)

But then, by accident a couple of days ago, I touched the "iTask" button on the bottom of the iPAQ, and woila - the device powered up! I thought.. .wow... that's weird. So I turned it off again and when I pushed the button it came on again! I turned it off and pushed the other three "application" buttons... and guess what ... it turned on. Same thing if you push the D-Pad button... ON... the only buttons that don't turn the unit on are the volume up/down buttons.

My bright mind told me it must be a problem with all the applications I installed.. that something was "re-mappping" the application buttons. So today, I did a hard reset. After initializing I had the same problem, with none of my software loaded! Nothing was fixed. I realized a call into HP was in order.

HP tells me that this is by design that, in fact, it's to make it easier to "turn on" the device! I told the guy, well if it was 'hard' to turn the device on, I could see a feature like that being necessary -- but that the on button is right on top and isn't hard to get to! He laughed and said, "yeah, but I won't comment on that design." Words of wisdom if I ever heard them!

So, fellow iPAQ 5455/5450 users: Can you turn your device on simply by pushing one of the action/application buttons? If so, how do you carry this thing in your pocket, without it turning on all the time?

(Oh, and as an aside, the HP rep told me "I know what you are saying... it would be impossible not to bump one of those buttons if you put the iPAQ in a shirt pocket or something." DUH... that's my point... even on the front of the darn thing it says "Pocket PC" Where do you think people will carry it? Those buttons will get hit when in storage/transit ... and why have a power on button if any other button will do the same thing!)

Hyperluminal
04-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Wait, unless I don't understand you correctly, application buttons have always been able to power PDAs up, ever since the first Pilots. I had a 3630 too, and I don't think it was possible to not have the app buttons start it. It's something of a standard feature on PDAs.
Having the directional pad turn it on is new to me, however...

bdegroodt
04-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Wait, unless I don't understand you correctly, application buttons have always been able to power PDAs up, ever since the first Pilots. I had a 3630 too, and I don't think it was possible to not have the app buttons start it. It's something of a standard feature on PDAs.
Having the directional pad turn it on is new to me, however...

This has been a standard "feature" on the iPaqs from day one. This is also common on many Palm devices...The thing Palm did that HP/MSFT hasn't is to allow you to set that feature as disabled. Trust me, many a dead batteries while traveling have been blamed on this iPaq "feature." I wish either MSFT or some enterprising programmer would implement a hack to fix this.

Bob Anderson
04-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, I guess sometimes I really am dumb! I didn't realize that fact... in fact... I can't wait to go home and try it out on the 3630 because I don't recall that ever happening.

I guess this 'feature' is designed to make us buy more AC Adapters, because, after all, we'll need one with us at all times and probably should have one established at every workspace we frequent :roll:

The good news is that PPC Thoughts once again proved it's worth to a loyal PPC user!!!

bdegroodt
04-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, I guess sometimes I really am dumb! I didn't realize that fact... in fact... I can't wait to go home and try it out on the 3630 because I don't recall that ever happening.

Don't feel bad. In between my 36xx and 3975 purchase, I stopped off with 2 Palms. It took my months to realize that my 3975 didn't have this feature and I could have told you tap by tap how to get to this missing on/off toggle setting. Felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode.

Bob Anderson
04-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Just as a final follow-up.. yeah.. I had lost my memory somewhere!

I went to my trusty old 3630 and sure enough... if you push one of the "application" buttons away it goes... turns unit on and heads straight for the application in question.

I'll have to find a better place in my briefcase for the 5455 so that the odds of a stray button push are minimized :roll:

Kati Compton
04-18-2003, 04:54 PM
You really can't turn that "feature" off on an ipaq? I'm surprised.

Chris Spera
04-18-2003, 05:27 PM
No, you can't...for some people, that's a problem. I know it is for me...

The best thing to do if you're storing your device in a brief case or bag is to put it in some sort of case. The slipper case that came with the device will work well enough. It may not be glamourous(sp?) but at least it will keep your buttons from getting pressed (which in turn could press YOUR buttons... but I digress...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Dave Beauvais
04-18-2003, 05:51 PM
My four :roll: Casio E-200s had a Settings app that would let you disable that "feature." I wish that were built into all PPCs.

--Dave