View Full Version : iPaq with built-in keyboard

GO-TRIBE
04-14-2003, 04:51 PM
We've all seen the video showing a possible iPaq with a folding keyboard built-in, but I just saw a device labled Samsung on ZDNet that looks very similar.

Anybody know what device this is? I think I see a Start button lower left...
http://zdnet.com.com/1601-2-996424.html

Sorry that the above link was broken, it's now fixed

Looxer
04-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Something wrong with the link!

Jeff Rutledge
04-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Something wrong with the link!

Just remove [/url] from the link and it will work.

Looxer
04-14-2003, 06:44 PM
OK I did that it works.... They are presenting a Samsung handheld device we saw an article about it here on PPCT, but iPAQ with built in keyboard could look like this:
http://www.ipaqabilities.com/images/articles/newipaqconcept/sequence.jpg

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/images/articles/newipaqconcept/newipaq2.jpg

I think this is the one you are talking about!

FredMurphy
04-14-2003, 07:46 PM
The Samsung is a Nexio S160 - there are threads on it here and all over the web. Basically (from memory so could be wrong)...

Runs CE.NET 4.1 (not PocketPC 2002)
Has 5" 840x480 screen
XScale PXA250 processor @ 400MHz
Built-in 802.11b
CF Type II slot
Seperate clip-on keyboard/cover
Currently only available in Hong Kong and Korea

Stephen Beesley
04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
But what about the possible new HP? Anybody heard anything more definate about it?

Looking at stuff on the net it seems that it will be a varient of the Ipaq 2200. I want this (or something like it) real bad!

Goldtee

GO-TRIBE
04-17-2003, 05:51 PM
I want this (or something like it) real bad!

Me too, it could be an almost perfect device. Maybe you could even remove the keyboard like Compaq's tablet, that would be great.

Looxer
04-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Guys the concept pf iPAQ with built in folding keyboard would it be exposed to damage! A lot of moving parts!

Jacob
04-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Guys the concept pf iPAQ with built in folding keyboard would it be exposed to damage! A lot of moving parts!

That's true, but a lot of people would gladly live with that added risk for the foldup keyboard being attached and available.

Kati Compton
04-17-2003, 09:30 PM
That's true, but a lot of people would gladly live with that added risk for the foldup keyboard being attached and available.

Provided the device can switch easily between portrait and landscape... Otherwise, I'd get a neck cramp... ;)

Stephen Beesley
04-18-2003, 08:33 AM
Well I for one would certianly be prepared to live with having what might be a more damage prone device for the convience.

I always liked the idea of the clamshell style PDAs (I often toyed with the idea of buying a Psion) but the thing that always put me off was the fact that most of the time I want a PDA that I can use when standing up or at least without resting it on anything - like a notepad. I couldn't imagine standing in line for a bus playing a game on a Psion! Now if I could have the convience of a PPC form factor with an attached keyboard when I wanted it I would be in PDA heaven!

Goldtee

Jason Dunn
05-01-2003, 03:58 PM
The HP device in the photos was a mock-up device that was never actually made, and from what I understand, never will be made. Sorry guys, but I'd get over lusting after it... :|

Stephen Beesley
05-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Ahh well I guess you cannot miss what you never had!

Anyway the Ipaq 2200 with PPC 2003 (whatever improvements that includes) sounds like a pretty awsome device as is.

Goldtee