View Full Version : Wireless Internet Syncronization

ipaq38vette
04-13-2003, 11:42 PM
Are there any programs that sync internet content like Avantgo over wireless networks?

Sooner Al
04-14-2003, 01:22 AM
...ActiveSync over your wireless LAN? Does that not work?

ipaq38vette
04-14-2003, 03:04 AM
I thought ActiveSync couldn't Sync over wireless. I don't know of anyone who has synced over WLAN. I am looking for something like Syncronize in IE6. I know NetFront has autocruise but I heard it was slow.

Sven Johannsen
04-14-2003, 03:36 AM
You can activesync over a wireless network (works great with my Axim and symbol card [using socket drivers :)]), but you do need to initiate the sync from the PPC. You also need to have some way for the PPC to know how to address the sync connection, i.e resolve the name of the partner machine to an IP address. The simplest way is to use PocketHost. It sets up a host table that you can put relationships into. I happen to run a WINS server at home which also solves the problem.

For Avantgo, if you are connected via WiFi, just go to Start/Settings/Connections/Avantgo, click Sync All. Doesn't require AS to be on, doesn't even require the partner PC to be on, it goes straight to Avantgo.

ipaq38vette
04-14-2003, 04:09 AM
Do I have to be logged on in XP Pro to sync wirelessly?

Sooner Al
04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Do I have to be logged on in XP Pro to sync wirelessly?

If your XP Pro machine is the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or proxy machine, then the XP Pro machine needs to be powered on and accessing the public internet in order for you to be able to access Avantgo.

Personally, I ActiveSync wirelessly over my home LAN to an XP Pro box all the time. How is your wireless LAN setup and connected to your wired LAN? Here is my home LAN, is yours similar?

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/The_Illustrated_Network.html

Please describe your wireless LAN so the folks here can help further...

For help with wireless ActiveSync, look at this thread from the PPC Passion site...

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23501