View Full Version : Help with Setting up a Wireless Home Network

shawnc
04-12-2003, 11:38 PM
I finally took the plunge and purchased a laptop. I also took the plunge on ATTEMPTING a wireless network, which brings me to my question. I brought a Linksys wireless-G router and wireless-G PC card. Paid an extra $30 over 802.11b but the specs made it seem to be worth the extra bucks. So I'm trying to install it and am experiencing the typical non-techie frustrations. I have connected the router to the PC and the cable modem to the router. The cable seems to run fine. The Linksys comes with a CD that says it will perform the setup if I already have internet access. Seemed like a good idea to me except that when I run the CD it says that I'm already set -up. WELL, I HAVENT DONE ANYTHING! I thought I had to create the network with my PC PRIOR to establishing the connection with the laptop. So my question is two-fold. One, can anyone suggest a source that contains step-by-step instructions for a non-techie person on how to set-up a wireless network. And two, do I simply have to connect the wires from the router to the PC and thats it before moving on to the laptop connection? Or is there something more?

Thanx

dh
04-12-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm no expert at this, but my installation went pretty well.

Before setting up my D-Link router, I already had my PC working with my cable modem. The instructions that came with the router said that was a good thing to do since the router then duplicates this connection.

I then hooked the cable modem to the router, connected the PC via a network cable and it still worked fine.

After that I installed a D-Link PC card in my laptop and that set itself up just as it should.

Same thing with a LinkSys CF card I have for my PPC.

Once everything was working OK, I then went back and did the security setup.

I'm sure the step that made it all work was having the internet connection in place before attempting anything else.

D-Link have a pretty good idiots guide to setting up their network. LinkSys probably have the same at their website.

shawnc
04-13-2003, 01:31 AM
DH,

Thanx for the help. I didn't realize it was this easy. I thought there was something else to do with setting up the network on my desktop PC. I took your advice and did the setup on the laptop and it worked flawlessly.

Thanx again

BarryB
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
I found the setup on my Win 98 system very easy with my new D-Link DI-614+ wireless router.

But as usual, there was a catch. I thought I could just plug in an iBook into another port on the router, but it wasn't able to get an IP address from the router. A call to D-Link tech support helped straighten it out.

Then there's the problems with my Linux system.

And my flaky wireless connection to my PPC.

But I've still been surprised at the overall ease of setup.

PetiteFlower
04-17-2003, 02:31 PM
We had a bunch of....issues....with our wireless network at first. Couldn't get all 3 of the computers to connect at the same time, as soon as we would fix one, another would lose the connection! It was very frustrating. And it didn't make any sense either! We'd try something and it wouldn't work, then try the SAME THING again 10 minutes later and it would work! Anyway after a few calls to tech support and a LOT of frustration and cursing, we finally got everything working....that was almost a week ago and it's been stable since then. I'm never touching any of the settings ever again, but it works now and that's what matters!

We have 2 wireless desktops and 1 wired, and the D Link router. I don't have a wifi card for my ppc yet....maybe someday :) But I'm kind of afraid to introduce any new variables to the network right now anyway, so it's ok not having one!

dh
04-18-2003, 01:05 AM
I don't have a wifi card for my ppc yet....maybe someday :) But I'm kind of afraid to introduce any new variables to the network right now anyway, so it's ok not having one!

When you do get a wireless card for your Axim you will think it's the best thing ever. I love the fact that I can check the news from the BBC (really good site for PPC) while making my morning trip to the loo.

It also seems to me that T-Mobile is getting a good enough coverage for their Hot Spots in this part of the country to go for this as well. Good job I like coffee!

I'd say a wireless CF card is great value for money and you will love having it.

shawnc
04-18-2003, 02:05 AM
I realize that this question has likely been answered already, but since I started this thread.....well, here goes.

DH, how does the "hotspot" concept work? Now that I have the connection at home, I too am thinking about the card for my Axim. With a card, can I connect at say Starbucks or the airport or by using someone else's hotspot? I guess my question is am I limited to use in my apartment or can I go to my local starbucks and surf?

Thanx

Jer
07-17-2003, 11:23 PM
I've been using a DLink di-764 for about a year now with no problems. The problems lie with my flaky cable modem. As far as the Starbucks hotspots go, I have a wep setup for home called "home" and a setup called "open" that has the ssid blank and no wep. When there, I choose open and it connects automatically. Open pIE and begin to surf, your redirected to the login page...