View Full Version : Real Player Help

ipaq38vette
04-12-2003, 02:54 PM
I have some .rm files I want to play with RealPlayer for PPC but I keep getting errors. Is there some bad setting or is RealPlayer for PPC just a lousy piece of junk?

onepieceman
04-12-2003, 04:04 PM
I use RealPlayer extensively for listening to audio at a variety of bitrates. It was very good until I upgraded my XDA, now it leaks memory. Nevertheless, I haven't had the problems you have got with audio files. Video is another story. I haven't yet managed to find any video file that will play, though that doesn't matter so much to me.

ipaq38vette
04-12-2003, 05:18 PM
I really want these clips. Can I convert .rm fikes to something my ipaq can play(avi,divx,mpeg,wmv)?

aplkorex
04-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Check out the info on this page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/catchphrase/catchphrase/ref-portableaudio.shtml

It describes a technique to convert .rm to .wav, then you can use any number of programs to covert the .wav file to and .mp3, .wma or whatever.

Kaber
04-12-2003, 07:35 PM
I wish I could get it to stream... anything over the net.

ipaq38vette
04-12-2003, 09:49 PM
I want to convern .rm video files, not .rm audio files.

Jude
04-13-2003, 03:42 AM
This program called EOVideo can convert Real Video and Quicktime files to MPEG or AVI (DivX, uncompressed, etc.). It's not free though, but I think there's a trial.

I also know of this free command-line utility that converts Real Video to AVIs, forgot what it's called or where you can get it though. You do need to go to the DOS prompt to use it. Also, I remember that the clips it produced didn't synch too well.

I've come across several Real Video clips that play on the Real Mobile Player. I think it prefers newer clips encoded with the latest version of the Real video codec. Maybe you can try to re-encode them using a newer version of Real?

Andy Whiteford
04-14-2003, 12:01 PM
I had similar issues with 30 min video clips that would play the sound but the video woudl stop after a couple of seconds of play back.
I tried a couple of the tools for converting Real media to mpg and avi file but the audio synch is usually quite a bit out and I can't seem to sync this properly after the conversion.
It would be better if real one mobile would play the same real media that the desktop can!