View Full Version : Two PPCs, One desktop. How to Sync files folder?

Andy Whiteford
04-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Is there anyway of having one files folder synced between the desktop and two Pocket PCs? When I sync files on more than one Pocket PC, they get their own file folder which means you need to update in two locations to keep everything syncronised properly.
It's not something I have had a need to do until now.

Pony99CA
04-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Is there anyway of having one files folder synced between the desktop and two Pocket PCs? When I sync files on more than one Pocket PC, they get their own file folder which means you need to update in two locations to keep everything syncronised properly.
It's not something I have had a need to do until now.
Have you tried MightySync (http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html)? You could probably keep your files in one separate folder and point MightySync at that folder with nothing in your synchronized files folders.

Steve

Andy Whiteford
04-11-2003, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to know if there was a way of doing it without a third party solution. The all unpowerful Active Sync does all I need so far so don't want to employ something just for this specific task if I can avoid it.

Pony99CA
04-11-2003, 10:53 PM
I just wanted to know if there was a way of doing it without a third party solution. The all unpowerful Active Sync does all I need so far so don't want to employ something just for this specific task if I can avoid it.
Well, it doesn't sound like it does what you want any longer. :-) MightySync is only $5.95.

However, there may be another way, if you don't mind registry hacks. It appears that the synchroinzed files folder is pointed to by the Briefcase Path key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\{unique id}\Services\Synchronization entry (where {unique id} is some hex number corresponding to a partnered device).

The sync folder is also pointed to by the Briefcase Path key in the HKEY_USERS\{user id}\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\{unique id} (where {user id} is some long string and {unique id} is some hex number corresponding to a partnered device).

Perhaps changing both entries for both devices to point to the same directory would work. I haven't tried it, so let us know if you do and what happens. :-)

Steve

Andy Whiteford
04-12-2003, 05:30 PM
It appears that the synchroinzed files folder is pointed to by the Briefcase Path key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\{unique id}\Services\Synchronization entry (where {unique id} is some hex number corresponding to a partnered device).

This does exactly what I wanted. Works a treat.

Thx Steve.

Eitel
04-12-2003, 08:07 PM

Yes there is. It's called xcopy. You can use it with the windows scheduler to tell it when to run. Not pretty, but it works :wink:

Pony99CA
04-13-2003, 12:59 AM
It appears that the synchroinzed files folder is pointed to by the Briefcase Path key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\{unique id}\Services\Synchronization entry (where {unique id} is some hex number corresponding to a partnered device).
This does exactly what I wanted. Works a treat.

Thx Steve.
My consulting bill is in the mail. :rofl:

Steve

Andy Whiteford
04-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Actually, no wait. It's just crashed my whole system and I have lost all my work. A rebuild is in order now.
What is the address of your lawyer? ;)
hehe