View Full Version : Is it possible to sync a PocketPC with Yahoo contacts?

exsilio
04-11-2003, 03:29 AM
Hey all, just wondering if this is possible yet? I just got a hp 1910 for school...it's not for power users, but this thing is sooooo light and good looking..you know, like a super model... :D

spursdude
04-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Do you mean regularly sync, like every time you sync? If you want a one-time fix, you can export your Yahoo! address book to an Outlook format, and that will sync your Yahoo! contacts onto your PPC.

It depends on what exactly you want to do.

Congrats on the 1910! :D

exsilio
04-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Yeah it's not an easy route.

the 1910 comes with Outlook...so basically you install outlook..which sucks, cuz I dont use it, then you use Yahoo's Intellisync to sync Yahoo with Outlook..then when you use ActiveSync when you connect the 1910 you get it all synced..but I think that blows...heh heh

Should be nice and easy if someone made a PocketPC Yahoo connect program..then there is no middle man..it would work like AvantGo...when youc onnect, it automatically updates info...

hear that you prgrammer types? get busy!!! :lol:

spursdude
04-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Yeah, it's pretty inconvenient... but you should look into using Outlook more. It's incredibly powerful once you start playing around with it.

exsilio
04-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Yeah Outlook is good, but I love doing all my email through Yahoo. I can access it anywhere, I don't need to worry about making sure its current on my desktop or another computer...it's pretty convenient...it may not be as robust as out look..but I don't mind the tradeoff. =)

mattp
04-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Yeah it's not an easy route.

the 1910 comes with Outlook...so basically you install outlook..which sucks, cuz I dont use it, then you use Yahoo's Intellisync to sync Yahoo with Outlook..then when you use ActiveSync when you connect the 1910 you get it all synced..but I think that blows...heh heh

Yes, this does work, but I always got all kinds of extra characters (like a "0" in every appointment note) and Yahoo doesn't support all the same fields as Outlook, so it is a forcefit. I set up Intellisync to only take new data from Outlook and send it to Yahoo for my calendar and contacts. Thay way, I can always view my data on Yahoo, but I don't get the junk on my Pocket PC.

Syncing Notes seems to work fairly well.