View Full Version : Do you ever check your laptop when flying?

Jeff Rutledge
04-10-2003, 11:58 PM
As my iPAQ is taking over more and more of the functions I've traditionally needed my laptop for, I'm wondering if I need to carry on the laptop anymore. I have carried it on a couple times now, but that's just because I'm weary to check it.

So I thought I'd consult the experts. Have any of you checked your laptop when flying? How did it go? Have you been confident it's not getting too beat up?

TIA.

PPCMD
04-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I am about to buy a laptop so you pose a good question. My immediate repsonse is no friggin way is the airlines going to get my mobile computer. Think about the nightmare it would be if it got lost. Then think about someone getting it and accessing your info (after its lost). Then think about the cost to replace it since the airline will no doubt fight you on the replacement value and the time to get all your data back.

I guess my answer would be no friggin way.

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 12:58 AM
I hadn't thought about losing it. I was mostly worried about it getting damaged as Cargo.

It's just such a pain in the butt to lug it around. If I don't have anything I have to get done on the flight, I'll watch a DVD on it, so its' worth it then. But I'm finding myself watching a DVD less and less on flights. I'm more inclined to play games, listen to mp3's, read documents (RepliGo rules!), etc. If I get bored of that, I'll read my book.

It's so appealing to just carry on a book and my iPAQ.

But is it worth the risk? I was afraid of damage to the unit. Now that you've mentioned the prospect of losing it, I'm less inclined to take the risk.

Still.... :? (mind not made up yet obviously)

sjo
04-11-2003, 02:03 AM
A sales clerk at Best Buy told me that the atmospheric pressure could damage the display. I don't know if this can be true, I usually carry mine on, but have checked mine maybe 10 times with no problems.

Brad Adrian
04-11-2003, 02:27 AM
I think the atmospheric thing may be a fallacy, but I'd worry more about it getting nipped. These days, luggage is legitimately opened and searched a lot more often than it used to be, which means there's just that much more opportunity for theft or damage.

Duff
04-11-2003, 03:27 AM
Yeah the guy from Best Buy was yankin' your chain. Large aircraft are tubular in shape so that the stress of pressurizing the WHOLE thing is efficiently absorbed. Besides, if the cargo area was unpressurized your toothpaste, shaving cream, everything would be all over the place (keeping in mind that there is a slight pressure difference in the entire cabin from the pressure at the departure point). Basically, airliners keep the entire inside of the aircraft at or below the air pressure corresponding to 10000ft (i.e. when the plane is at 35000 ft, the cabin might be at a pressure corresponding to 9000 ft, or something near there).

On the otherhand, baggage compartments are not usually heated (unlike live cargo compartments). So there may be brittleness & humidity concerns there. If you pack the laptop to protect it and let it acclimatize to your destination environment before turning it on, I'm sure it would work out. I personally have checked my laptop, in the middle of a hardsided suitcase, manytimes - for the exact reasons as JR mentioned.

Cheers!

Duff

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Duff:

First, welcome to the boards!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think I'll try checking it next time I have enough to keep me occupied during the flight. I have a small laptop case that's basically a padded pouch. I think I'll pack that into the centre of my suitcase and see how it goes (keeping my fingers crossed).

I'm looking forward to "traveling light" for a change. :mrgreen:

xerxers
04-11-2003, 04:46 AM
I think that you would be extremely foolhardy to check you laptop as part of your checked luggage:

1. The onus of proof that there was a laptop in your bag is on you and that coule be difficuly to prove that there was a laptop in your bag in the first place.
2. EVERY single bag is either x-rayed every time you take a flight using the latest x-ray machines that may not necessarily hurt your data but you never know.
3. If an item in your baggage cannot be identified then the bag is opened with or without your permission.
4. If you lock the bag the bag is foricibly opened.....
5. Haven't you ever seen any of the hidden camera series where ground staff open bags in the holds of aircraft and remove what they want.
6. What happens if you plane is diverted and you subsequently can't get access to your checked baggage for whatever reason....

and so the list goes....

If you have sensitive data or data that you need for your next meeting etc then i would NOT check your baggage.

Hope this helps you make your mind up plus the reaosns given by other people on this forum

Hth

Xerxers

felixdd
04-11-2003, 07:29 AM
1. The onus of proof that there was a laptop in your bag is on you and that coule be difficuly to prove that there was a laptop in your bag in the first place.

Not really. My cousin's baggage was lost in transit recently -- within the package was a digital camera. The airline asks what's in the baggage, and what the approx. price is -- they then pay you back that price as compensation.

2. EVERY single bag is either x-rayed every time you take a flight using the latest x-ray machines that may not necessarily hurt your data but you never know.

I passed my laptop through without anything -- just search it up on google and you'll see what I mean. But then again -- being safe is always good.

3. If an item in your baggage cannot be identified then the bag is opened with or without your permission.

That happens during customs when you're entering a country -- not in transit. If your flight connects through another country that checks all incoming luggage (i.e. the US does that, but not Japan) -- then you have to get your luggage from the conveyor belt, go through US customs and have them inspect your luggage, then recheck them.

Again -- this is not true.
In fact -- it's common and even suggested that people lock their luggage bags; either with luggage locks (why do you think they make those?), or even cable ties. This is why luggage suitcases have built-in locks to them. The locks prevent the rough-and-tumble handling from accidentally opening the baggage, spilling the contents.

5. Haven't you ever seen any of the hidden camera series where ground staff open bags in the holds of aircraft and remove what they want.

Nope. This is sort of like a "man who" problem -- I'm sure it's just an isolated incident. But this sounds intriguing -- hidden camera footage are sometimes hilarious :lol:

6. What happens if you plane is diverted and you subsequently can't get access to your checked baggage for whatever reason....

Then you talk to your airline about it. In most cases you go home without the luggage for a while. If the luggage is late, for example, then when you talk to the airline they will tell you to leave your contact address -- and then when the luggage arrives they either call you to go pick it up, or sometimes even deliver it (if you fly first class)!

Of course -- if you have sensitive material then it'd be better to play it safe. But then again -- if you have sensitive material then it'd make sense to make a backup copy that's more resilient -- a CD, for example.

I hope I didn't offend you -- just a few misconceptions to clear up :)

felixdd
04-11-2003, 07:34 AM

Not really. My cousin's baggage was lost in transit recently -- within the package was a digital camera. The airline asks what's in the baggage, and what the approx. price is -- they then pay you back that price as compensation. I hope I'm interpreting what you said in the right way.

I passed my laptop through without anything -- just search it up on google and you'll see what I mean. But then again -- being safe is always good.

That happens during customs when you're entering a country -- not in transit. If your flight connects through another country that checks all incoming luggage (i.e. the US does that, but not Japan) -- then you have to get your luggage from the conveyor belt, go through US customs and have them inspect your luggage, then recheck them.

Again -- this is not true.
In fact -- it's common and even suggested that people lock their luggage bags; either with luggage locks (why do you think they make those?), or even cable ties. This is why luggage suitcases have built-in locks to them. The locks prevent the rough-and-tumble handling from accidentally opening the baggage, spilling the contents.

Nope. This is sort of like a "man who" problem -- I'm sure it's just an isolated incident. But this sounds intriguing -- hidden camera footage are sometimes hilarious :lol:

Then you talk to your airline about it. In most cases you go home without the luggage for a while. If the luggage is late, for example, then when you talk to the airline they will tell you to leave your contact address -- and then when the luggage arrives they either call you to go pick it up, or sometimes even deliver it (if you fly first class)!

Of course -- if you have sensitive material then it'd be better to play it safe. But then again -- if you have sensitive material then it'd make sense to make a backup copy that's more resilient -- a CD, for example.

I hope I didn't offend you -- just a few misconceptions to clear up :)

lonesniper
04-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Personally I would NEVER check any thing expensive or breakable, especially a laptop. I am sure airports have gorilla’s working behind the scenes throwing bags around all over the place. I friend of a friend works as a conveyor belt engineer at Heathrow and has seen the monkeys stamping on the bags for a game. They think it is fun.

Also Airlines would not just pay out, you would have to provide a receipt of purchase to prove the cost, and travel insurance would not help because if you read the small print you can only claim like £200 per item, even if your coverage is like £2000 for lost luggage.

I make about 4 flights to the USA per year and have only had my bag rifled through once luckily. I doubt it opened by itself. I found half my stuff missing and some Japanese guys cellphone and computer cables in my bag. He was worse off than me. I returned the stuff to the Airline, hope he got his stuff back.

jules
04-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Best of all soon you will be able to take your Laptop or PDA with WiFi !

British Airways already has some flights between US and UK with broadband wireless onboard ! Currently only in the premimum cabins.
:D

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I think that you would be extremely foolhardy to check you laptop as part of your checked luggage:

and so the list goes....

If you have sensitive data or data that you need for your next meeting etc then i would NOT check your baggage.

Hope this helps you make your mind up plus the reaosns given by other people on this forum

Hth

Xerxers

Those are good points. I think only the last point would be a concern to me.

I almost exclusively fly within Canada and use a Calgary-based airline (where I live) called WestJet. I fly with them a lot (I think I've already had over 100 flights) and both myself and my company have a very good relationship with them. So I'm not too worried about your first points. I agree that they're all risks, but I've flown enough with WJ to be confident on these issues.

So that leaves me with the last point. Since I'm usually flying for business, it wouldn't do well to show up at my destination and not be able to do any work because my laptop isn't with me. That's something definitely to think about.

Thanks for the insights!

xerxers
04-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Felixdd,

No you didn't offend me at all......

But I have worked for an airline for 25 years and some of the things you have stated are misconceptions are in actual fact true..

There is a maximum liability of approx $2500 for your lost bag anything else must be claimed through your own insurnace. If an airline accepted what a customer said everytime they would be in big trouble very quickly.

3. I am sorry to tell you but now with the current security alert the US governement has stated that EVERY bag be x-rayed before boarding an aircraft. Once again I state and I know for a fact that if there is something that tey cannot identify they open your bag and search, This is NOT an option. As I stated if you lock your bag the bag is is foricbly, if they dont have a key, opened.

Felxdd I am not too sure where you live but the Governement legislation on security and travelling in the US have changed significantly in the past 18 months. Previously checked baggage was considering a risk but inlight of what has been happening everything is considered a potential risk....

Even in transit US airlines are required to ensure that only bags of travelling customers are on the plane and that every bag is accounted for.

If your bag is lost most airlines will deliver it to you at no cost. That is common practice irrespective of the class of service you travel.

5. An isolated incident. This was common for many years and still occurs now as a regular problem and costs the sirlines millions in compensation.

Felxxd - believe me none of the issues I have rasied are trivial no misconceptions. All I am trying to do is point out some of the issues when checking in a laptop. It just ain't worth it.

Xerxers.

Crystal Eitle
04-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Okay, this is kind of a dumb question, but do you have one of those upright wheeled suitcases? Everyone should have one, and I think most people do these days. When I used to fly a lot, I would often bring my laptop with me (and that thing was a BRICK) and just attach it to the pull-out handle of my wheeled suitcase (which is just small enough to be carry-on size) using the velcro strap that was on the back of my laptop case (the strap is stitched down at both ends - you slide it over the top of the pull-out handle and secure it with the velcro). Worked like a charm, and I didn't have to "lug it around," per se.

Wheels are your friends. Put all your luggage on wheels, if at all possible.

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Okay, this is kind of a dumb question, but do you have one of those upright wheeled suitcases? Everyone should have one, and I think most people do these days. When I used to fly a lot, I would often bring my laptop with me (and that thing was a BRICK) and just attach it to the pull-out handle of my wheeled suitcase (which is just small enough to be carry-on size) using the velcro strap that was on the back of my laptop case (the strap is stitched down at both ends - you slide it over the top of the pull-out handle and secure it with the velcro). Worked like a charm, and I didn't have to "lug it around," per se.

Wheels are your friends. Put all your luggage on wheels, if at all possible.

Do you mean you carry on both pieces? The luggage and the laptop case? Or do you just "detach" the laptop case after you check your luggage?

bdegroodt
04-11-2003, 06:19 PM
My tenant for flight...Never EVER check anything you can't be without when you land. Laptop and clean underwear included. However, I've been lucky enough to have a Dell C400 for the last 6 months that has made the laptop lug issue a non issue. I have noticed that the laptop is becoming my secondary device of use on travel now. The iPaq/T68i combo has really been a great combo for me.

This reminds me of a little "incident" I had with the airlines not long after 9/11. They wanted me to turn on my laptop and it was dead (I only carry the seat power cord when I fly. The regular power supply was in my checked baggage.). They wouldn't let me past security if I didn't power it on, so they wanted me to check it. My angered response was "Why so you guys can steal it?" and that was the end of any niceness they may have had for me. :twak: Lesson learned. Just smile and accomodate.

Crystal Eitle
04-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Do you mean you carry on both pieces? The luggage and the laptop case? Or do you just "detach" the laptop case after you check your luggage?

Yep, I would carry on both. A 22" suitcase is just small enough to qualify as a carry-on, but big enough to go on a lengthy trip (if you travel light and pack wisely).

I think the rule for most airlines now is that you can have one carry-on, PLUS one "personal item" such as a purse, backpack, briefcase, or laptop.

I usually got away with taking my suitcase, my laptop, and my purse!

Crystal Eitle
04-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Or you could pack your laptop right into your suitcase, like you mentioned, and just carry your suitcase on with you (if it's small enough). I've done this, too.

I highly recommend getting a 22" suitcase (if you can pack everything you need into a suitcase that size) and then take liberal advantage of the "personal item" allotment. You can pack a lot of stuff into a backpack or a laptop case.

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Yep, I would carry on both. A 22" suitcase is just small enough to qualify as a carry-on, but big enough to go on a lengthy trip (if you travel light and pack wisely).

I have thought about it. The luggage I'm checking now is probably 22" so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I'll carry it on next time and see how it goes.

I think what I really need is a smaller laptop bag. I've got a fairly large one now (bigger than I need really) and it's a pain to carry on. Then again, if it's resting atop my luggage - which is on wheels - it might not be an issue.

Really, my ideal situation would be to pack my laptop into my luggage, which I'd carry on. Then I'd just need to carry my iPAQ and book which I could just carry in pockets or maybe a small carry on.

The problem with that plan is how do I get my laptop to the office from the hotel then? I'd need some kind of laptop bag. If I packed that too, then a 22" probably wouldn't cut it.

Hmmm....now I know why I still haven't found my perfect luggage solution. You'd think it would be more simple than this. I think what I need is one bag that's small enough to carry on, but large enough to fit my laptop. I'm a very light packer so I should be able to do it. I just need to find the right case. I guess it's Samsonite.com here I come! :wink:

delfuhd
04-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Gosh, my first response would be no! lol
But in all seriousness, what could be worse? You lugging a laptop around on a plane, which isn't bad because it IS useful for games, movies, and such, because some people don't necessarily have enough space on a ppc to hold much video, or it being checked and you showing up in the next city with no laptop or a damaged one? I would never check something that valuable, taking it on a plane is worth it, and yes maybe it won't get damaged, but I definitely wouldn't want to take that risk. Even if it was covered, I hate paperwork :lol:
So there's my two cents, good luck with whomever does whatever..

Kati Compton
04-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Note - this may only apply within the US. I'm not familiar with what other countries do.

The X-Rays they use on checked luggage are stronger than those they use on carry-ons. They even warn you not to put film through checked luggage, though you can through the carry-on X-ray machines. A while ago, film couldn't go through even carry-on X-rays, so people would hand it around or put it in a lead-lined bag. These bags are no longer permitted. BTW - I don't think this would actually matter, though. I don't remember enough physics, but I don't think it would.

It is correct that you are no longer "allowed" to lock your luggage, as they need to screen it. A certain percentage is opened by TSA personnel (when you are not present), and examined. Remember there was a news item about a guy who had a "NO WAR" T-shirt in his checked luggage and when he picked it up there was a note inside from a TSA employee chastizing him for having an un-American attitude.

Some airlines will not reimburse for more than, say, $200 per piece of checked luggage. You may want to find out if there is such a limit before checking anything extremely valuable.

As for luggage limits - I carry just about the biggest carry-on roller bag there is, and another carryon that has my purse and laptop bag *in* it. I have been harassed multiple times if my purse is carried separately (post-9/11). Even though it's of the wallet-on-a-string variety. Even if I say "it fits in this other bag", they make me do it before I can go through security or get on the plane. So I make sure everything fits inside my two carryons. Really, I'd almost carry less luggage *volume* if I could carry more luggage *quanity*, as my "personal item" needs to be somewhat larger to accomodate the other bags... But it doesn't really matter to me.

I say that as long as you only put at most one thing in the overhead you should be okay. Gets on my nerves on a full flight when people insist on putting both bags and a coat in the overhead - even when the flight attendants make an announcement that the under-seat storage is the "primary" storage space. But I digress....

Upshot: I would *not* check the laptop. I don't check my contact solution and contact case either. Shampoo/conditioner I check, as really all hotel rooms have it. If it's something that would really inconvenience me or would be irreplaceable, I don't check it. I don't even put it in my larger carry-on, as sometimes I have to check it at the gate when the flight is full or I am late in making a connection.

i_spock
04-15-2003, 05:44 AM
I would never, ever check a laptop when flying unless it was in one of those specialized metal crates with the foam lining. When I worked support for a biotech company, we had a scientist that flew frequently between the UK and the US. On one particular occasion he was rushing to make a plane and they told him that he had too many bags to carry on, so he absentmindedly whipped his laptop case off of his shoulder and checked it. When he got to the home office and opened his laptop he found a spider-cracked screen that looked like someone had dropped a bowling ball on it. In the end, the airline ended up reimbursing him after a whole lot of red tape, and to add insult to injury he had to take that money and reimburse the company for that damage. This company didn't have a process to accept money for damage to equipment, which caused all kinds of accounting confusion, endless filling out of forms, etc....

yschang
04-15-2003, 09:52 AM
it really depends whether it's a long haul or just a short distance flying...
I've tried lugging my laptop from London to Taipei (transiting at Frankfurt and Abu Dhabi). And I can tell you one thing... never again!!! :evil: That was a few years ago.
After that dreadful experience, I bought a Psion 5MX and sweet.... :D
I always packed my laptop in the middle of my suitcase surrounded by my clothes and suits. Not once, it was damaged (touch wood :wink: )
Now I only take my PPC and occasionally my Psion (for typing)
To be honest, now my laptop is more like a desktop...

aroma
04-15-2003, 01:33 PM
I would say it comes down to this: How easliy can you replace your laptop? Although a checked laptop doesn't ALWAYS get damaged, it DOES happen. (An exec here at my company checked his laptop a couple of months ago... got it back and the screen was spider-cracked... airline said "sorry - you can't prove we did it.") So, if something does happen to you laptop, can you easily replace it? If the answer is "NO" (like me) then simply don't temp fate, and carry it with you! Just get a more convient case! I have a cool North Face laptop case wich converts between a standard case and a backpack case. Very convient for travel! (I think it's called their Double Brief Case)

- Aaron

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2003, 02:51 PM
I would say it comes down to this: How easliy can you replace your laptop? Although a checked laptop doesn't ALWAYS get damaged, it DOES happen. (An exec here at my company checked his laptop a couple of months ago... got it back and the screen was spider-cracked... airline said "sorry - you can't prove we did it.") So, if something does happen to you laptop, can you easily replace it? If the answer is "NO" (like me) then simply don't temp fate, and carry it with you! Just get a more convient case! I have a cool North Face laptop case wich converts between a standard case and a backpack case. Very convient for travel! (I think it's called their Double Brief Case)

- Aaron

That's a very good point for me. I'm fortunate to work for a large company with a large fleet so if something did happen to my laptop, I'd be able to replace it easily. I also do a full backup of all my data every 2 weeks and anything really important is on the network. So the only real risk (besides inconvenience) for me is that I may be without my laptop for a time.

I'm heading out of town again on Sunday so I might try something new. If I can pack lightly enough to fit everything, I may try carrying on everything, including my laptop and just keeping it in overhead. If I can't, I think I'll try checking it. Well, maybe... :wink:

Kati Compton
04-15-2003, 03:01 PM
The problem with that plan is how do I get my laptop to the office from the hotel then? I'd need some kind of laptop bag. If I packed that too, then a 22" probably wouldn't cut it.

I use one of those mini-laptop bags, and put it *inside* my "personal item". It provides the padding the laptop should have anyway. Plus, when I arrive at my destination, I can just pull that bag out of the other bag and I'm ready to go. For a while I had a larger laptop bag, and I put that in my large bag, and the laptop in the small one. But I decided to go with the smaller laptop bag as the larger one was taking up too much room.

PapaSmurfDan
04-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Rule of thumb:If you can't live without it, don't check it as luggage.

It is that simple. In the case of a laptop, I wouldn't even put it in an overhead. The way people stuff those bins scares me. :crazyeyes: When I did have a usable laptop, it would go in the middle of my backpack surrounded by change or two of clothes, other critical items like chargers, and a few protein bars (They sure beat the hell out of the 'snacks' on flights anymore). Stick that backpack under a seat and and once in the air, you have quick access your stuff. You also have the advantage that backpacks are soo much easier to run through airports with than shoulder strapped cases or wheeled bags.

As a quick side track, have any of you had to turn on your PDA's when going through airport security lately? I took a trip the other day and both on the way to and from I never had to turn on my Axim.

ctmagnus
04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Then I'd just need to carry my iPAQ and book which I could just carry in pockets or maybe a small carry on.

One word: e-vest :wink:

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2003, 10:53 PM
As a quick side track, have any of you had to turn on your PDA's when going through airport security lately? I took a trip the other day and both on the way to and from I never had to turn on my Axim.

I haven't been asked to power on any of my electronics in probably the last 6-8 flights. I think they've stopped that as it probably took up too much time. They just swab my laptop for chemical residue and I'm on my way. On a couple of occasions, they've swabbed all of my electronics, not just the laptop.

Jeff Rutledge
04-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Then I'd just need to carry my iPAQ and book which I could just carry in pockets or maybe a small carry on.

One word: e-vest :wink:

I actually have one, but I can't stand the collar. Maybe I'll haul it out and give it another shot for this trip...

Jeff Rutledge
04-23-2003, 04:32 AM
Thought I'd give a quick update.

I flew into Toronto on Sunday and ended up NOT checking my laptop. What I did do was pack everything into a 22" carry on (which I carried on). This would have fit everything including my laptop. However, I wanted to watch a DVD on the flight (with the sequel coming out next week, had to watch X-Men again).

Plus, if I went with the 22" only, how would I have got my laptop from the hotel to the office?

So I picked up a thin leather Notebook case from Targus. It has just enough room for my laptop, a couple file folders and a pen (and my iPAQ of course).

I put the 22" in the overhead and the slim case under the seat. Easy to access during the flight. No wait at the baggage carousel. I think I've got my solution!

Thanks to all who provided insight and advice.

Crystal Eitle
04-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out for you!