View Full Version : Belkin USB Bleutooth Adapter and 3970

Matty
04-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Well, I just bought a Belkin F8T001 Usb Bleutooth adapter with the intention to connect my PC (it runs WinXP) with an iPAQ 3970. My problem is that I cannot get them to communicate with each other. In my PC’s bleutooth properties I can choose between com 7, 12-17. I thing that iPAQ’s use com 5, 8. (Is this the problem?) I don’t know what can I possible do wrong! :oops: Can anybody who has done this with the same or similar hardware share his/her experiences,suggestions? Thanks

dhettel
04-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Well, I just bought a Belkin F8T001 Usb Bleutooth adapter with the intention to connect my PC (it runs WinXP) with an iPAQ 3970. My problem is that I cannot get them to communicate with each other. In my PC’s bleutooth properties I can choose between com 7, 12-17. I thing that iPAQ’s use com 5, 8. (Is this the problem?) I don’t know what can I possible do wrong! :oops: Can anybody who has done this with the same or similar hardware share his/her experiences,suggestions? Thanks

Right click on the Bluetooth icon in the tray. Then click on Advanced Configuration. Click on Local Services and look at the com port listed at the bottom, in your case my guess is it is 12? You need this port to be less than 10, for ActiveSync to work. My guess is your PC does not have 7 serial ports on it.

What you well need to do is go to Control Panel and Add remove software, and remove the software you just installed. Reboot your Computer, And then go to device manager. Right Click My Computer | properties | Hardware | Device manager | View | Show hidden devices.

Then click on the + in front of Ports (COM & LPT). Then starting with the highest number COM port right click on it and then unistall. From all configurations, if your asked. And work your way back to COM5. When your done removing all the extra COM ports. Reboot your computer and reinstall your software. Then reboot once again. Set ActiveSync to use the COM port displayed now under Local Services.

David

Jason Dunn
04-10-2003, 07:13 PM
And they say Bluetooth is hard to use! :lol: 8O

Matty
04-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks David, well I followed your instructions, however I haven't still managed to bond the devices. My observations according to your comments however is that on Local services I get com 8 and also in Device Manager-Ports I do not get com 5. Is this significant? Any more suggestions please?

dhettel
04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
OK if in Advance Configuration, local services on your PC the COM port listed is 8 then that is what you are putting into ActiveSync, correct? The COM Port listed on your PC in Local Services, must be less than 10, and it must be Chosen in ActiveSync.

COM Ports between the PPC, and the PC do NOT need to match.

Did you remove all COM ports from 5 and up on your PC, before reinstalling the Software?

Also what your PC screen, with the 3970 you'll need to bond first. You should see some small balloons, that you must click on, to allow the process to complete. You should see a balloon near the tray, and a window in the center of the screen. These are timed screens, if you don't click on them fast enough, you are telling your computer to reject connections from this device until you reboot. When you enter the password, chose a short one unless you are a touch typist, again taking to long will stop the connection.

David

Matty
04-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeap :D , I have now managed to bond the PC with the iPAQ. I also managed to get the iPAQ connected through the internet via the bleutooth connection. To do so I selected in my my connection properties "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". However, I am concerned how safe it is :?: Should I enable the Win XP Firewall? Are there any general issues with firewalls? Thanks again!

dhettel
04-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Bluetooth tends to be short range, if you get full coverage in your house you are doing good. Take your 3970 out to the street and see if you can still connect. My guess is you can not. With the belkin USB adapter you also have three power ranges, you can turn the power down.

That should keep you safe from most outersiders. Setting the bluetooth software to show when someone tries to connects, is also a good idea, if you are worried. I feel safe with that and passwords.

David

Eitel
04-12-2003, 08:11 PM
You don't need to enable ICS in the computer in order for the PPC to use the net. If you already have the PPC synching with the PC via BT, you can use the internet pass-through feature in ActiveSync.

Carlitos
08-10-2003, 04:36 AM
Hi DAvid..

I have exactly the same problems... My PC only shows COM1 and COM2. And the Belkin adapter goes from COM11-COM19 or something like that. I have windows xp. I have tried seeing hidden devices, booting into safe mode, etc. etc. and still, after reinstalling the software I cannot get the belking dong to get a com port below 11.

I am going nuts...!!! What else can it be. I tried exactly what you mentioned above, but get the exact same results. Also, when I select COM1 or COM2 in the Active Sync software, I get the status that the COM port 1 or 2 are not available... I have nothing connected to them!!!

CAn you please help me! Thanks,

Carlitos