View Full Version : I hate this time before the new stuff happens

Hank Scorpio
04-10-2003, 05:29 AM
This is the worst time, the time before the new OS is released or the month or 2 before the new and better Pocket PC's are due. I go crazy checking all my favorite sites for just a glimpse or maybe a forbidden screenshot. It drives me absolutely crazy, and I'd be surprised if I don't get fired soon with my obsession for checking the forums. Anyone else going crazy? personally I'm waiting for the next batch of Pocket PC's with the new and improved X-scale processor and SDIO, and maybe bluetooth thrown in there too, I'm kinda looking at the new ipaq, but the only crappy thing about it is small battery, maybe there will be a couple more announcements of some different handhelds around the time it's gonna be out. As far as the OS goes, I just hope they can throw it on alot of the PDA"s that are out there already, otherwise it might be scary.

Abba Zabba
04-10-2003, 07:20 AM
I alost fully agree with ya. I am scowering all over the web for a glimpse of any new PDAs coming out, but alas can't find a thing :oops: . I hope when I get my next PDA it has the upgraded processor and the New OS.

But from what I hear, theoretically all PPCs are capable of changing their OS since it is flash based :D

FredMurphy
04-10-2003, 09:43 AM
I was doing this, but have now resigned myself to just waiting patiently. Microsoft's NDA certainly seems to be working!

Once the OS is officially announced and all the NDAs expire... what a week that'll be! :D

Jason Dunn
04-10-2003, 02:43 PM
You'll go blue holding your breath...the sites that have been tossing April around as the release date should be flogged. It's very dangerous to give people hope unless you know for a fact that you can do so factually.

ironguy
04-10-2003, 05:39 PM
I posted similar comments about 2 years ago, just prior to the release of PocketPC 2002. It seemed that all the boards showed a dramatic decrease in the number of 'interesting' posts while waiting for the 'next greatest' thing. It's almost the hush before the storm.

It's not so bad now because the PPC/phone market has expanded greatly since then. But still, you get posts like... this one instead of ones about PPCs!

Cracknell
04-10-2003, 06:01 PM
so it's June/July after all? 8O

disconnected
04-10-2003, 08:32 PM
What's even worse than the waiting is that I haven't even seen any rumors that exactly what I'd like is even in the works.

I have a Sprint plan with free Vision; the connection reliability using my iPAQ 3975/Supplynet cable/LG phone combination is abysmal. I really prefer having my phone and PDA separate, but I'd happily live with both a PPC Phone Edition (and my existing phone) if the long-awaited new models were to have the new operating system, at least a 3.8" transflective screen, and both CF and SD slots. I think I'd just have to pay an additional 10.00 a month for the Phone Edition device with unlimited Vision.

Unfortunately, the new Phone Edition devices don't seem to meet these criteria. I will probably get a PPC with the new operating system -- either an iPAQ, if there is one with at least a 3.8" screen and both CF and SD slots, or maybe a Toshiba, assuming there will be one with at least the specs of the 750 (and the new operating system). I'll still have to wait for a bluetooth phone, and hope that the connection works better than my cable does; don't see why it would though. The only other alternative is the Yiso card, and Sprint's data plans are ridiculously expensive.

As far as the new operating system goes, I hope it will at least have an improved PIE (at least improved back to the level of PPC 2000). Apparently a higher resolution screen is not even a possibility in the near future.

Well, I guess I've done enough whining for now; going from no PDA to an iPAQ 3630 was just such a giant step that it's hard to be really excited about the comparative baby steps since then, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

trevleyb
04-11-2003, 05:22 AM
You say "You'll go blue holding your breath...the sites that have been tossing April around as the release date should be flogged. It's very dangerous to give people hope unless you know for a fact that you can do so factually."

But, correct me if I am wrong here, but you started this when you said: "I can confirm that I can't confirm. But you can answer the question yourself by looking at the dates for the original April 2000 release, then the October 2001 release" in this thread on this site.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8834&highlight=2003+nda

Which equals April 2003!!!

yschang
04-11-2003, 07:31 AM
To be honest, I don't usually go for the newest stuff right away...
Back when Win98 migrated to the short-lived WinME, I couldn't care less! Since my system was running fine... until I won a copy of WinME
Then it was the start of XP, I didn't even want to think about it because everybody using it was saying crap... Until I bought a new system which came with XP...
My principle is that if something works fine, fine... if I have more time and money to play, I'll try!
But usually, I don't have the time and the spare money to try the newest thing. New things come out everyday...
As for PPC2003, to be honest, I wouldn't care less until I want to change my current unit which serves me great!!!
As for the newcomers who wants to decide whether to wait or not, I know it's a pain in the a$$... and I try to avoid that at all cost... :wink:

nickl
04-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Hank, you can get help for that, ya know. :wink: