View Full Version : Dell Canada Offers Discount

Mitch D
04-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Boy was I surprised when I got home frm work and checked my email, Dell sent out an email saying that although they could not let us have our Axim's at the cheap prices the system screwed up and was showing they feel a need to make up for the issue. Here is a copy of the email I got today...

Dear Customer,

Dell Canada strives to ensure the most positive Dell experience for each of its customers. Recently, an error was made on dell.ca that caused the customer experience to be less positive than we would like.

On the evening of April 4, 2003, we posted pricing for the sale of our Axim X5 handheld units on our web site that was in error. While the advertised prices for these units were clear and correct, data entry issues elsewhere on our web site applied a price
to the units that was an obvious error. On the morning of April 5, we discovered
the error and began taking active steps to resolve it. By the morning of April 7,
we were able to resolve the error completely. However, before the error was resolved
completely many of you acted and placed orders.

At Dell Canada, we place the highest priority on customer care and apologize for
any actions that may result in inaccuracies on our web site. As mentioned in our
previous e-mail to you, we regret that we cannot honor the pricing that temporarily
appeared to be available on dell.ca.

However, we do understand that this error may have caused you some inconvenience. As a result, we would like to make it up to you by presenting you with a goodwill
offer on our Axim X5 handheld units. This goodwill offer provides you
with a $50 reduction off the regular price of $379 for each 300C unit and $150 reduction
off the regular price of $549 for each 400C unit (exclusive of shipping and applicable taxes)
in the event you still wish to place your order.

To receive this time limited offer, please respond to this e-mail by 5 p.m.
on Monday, April 14th and a Dell representative will contact you to book your
Axim purchase under this goodwill offer. (Limit of one unit per original unit
ordered – no exceptions. This offer is not combinable with any other discounts or promotions.)

Again, Dell Canada apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this error and looks forward
to your continued support as a Dell customer.

Best regards,

Frank Fuser
Director, Customer Care

It might not be the cheap prices we saw but they have gone out of their way (in my opionion) to offer such a deal. I have been in the retail business for 7 years (not long in the overall scheme) and I have never seen a company do this. I am not sure if I am going to take them up on the offer but I will give it some thought.

Video11
04-09-2003, 11:54 PM
I'll echo your sentiments. I rec'd the same email and was quite surprised that Dell would go to this effort.

I really don't need a new PPC, but a AXIM 400 Mhz for CDN$400.00 is a pretty good deal. I am seriously thinking about it. :|

eternalblue
04-10-2003, 06:07 AM
I did get that email as well, and am seriously thinking about getting the axim at $150 off of the original price tag. I've always wanted one for quite a while now, so I think I might actually take upon thier offer. I suppose I can't get a better deal anywhere else, now can I? Does anyone else plan to take upon Dell's "goodwill offer"?

Thefo
04-10-2003, 08:50 PM
I too am currently seriously considering the $400.00 X5 deal...I guess we all have to decide pretty soon so we don't miss the window :agrue:

Richard76
04-10-2003, 10:29 PM
I also received the same e-mail and think I will take them up on the offer. The reasons for this decision are:

a) I have been dealing with Dell for about 4 years now for both my home PC and my Inspirion 7500 laptop for work. In that 4 years, I have had not one problem with either machine.

b) On the occasion that I have ordered parts (DVD-ROM, battery etc.), I have had nothing but professional, courteous and prompt service, both on the phone and in delivery.

c) I believe that by making this offer, they have gone above and beyond the "call of duty". They could have just sluffed it off because, realisticly, every one of us that placed an order knew that that price was in error.

Therefore, as I am also in sales and respect that ever dying principle called 'customer loyalty', I am moved to place my order if for no other reason than to reward their efforts.

Now, having said this, I am in the market for a new PDA. I have been shopping for some time now and am weighing the issue of 'two devices' vs. 'one device'. I was using a colour Nino and Samsung phone, then moved to a Treo 180 but can't get used to the Palm OS or B&W screen.

I have been holding out for a Seimens SX56 but, like with the Treo, am not sure if I can live with the limited expandability and inferior screen. So, this 'humble offer' has pushed me off the fence in favour of the Axim. I will also be upgrading my phone in the near future in favour of one that supports Bluetooth.

My humble two bits worth.

Rick

Jeff Rutledge
04-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm still holding off for the next wave of devices, but I think I've got my sister almost convinced to go for it. I think she's going to go for the 300 series as she's new to PPC and is having problems with the cost of these things. Still, I'm this close to converting another. 8)

eternalblue
04-13-2003, 06:38 AM
after long debate I've finally decided to respond to the goodwill offer and pick myself up an advanced model. I've responded to the email and am waiting on them to take the next step.

Video11
04-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Yep, I decided to take Dell up on their offer too. But in my case work is buying and letting me decide to switch to the Axim or keep my Jornada 565. Whatever I don't keep gets handed off to someone else. I really like getting the new toys, but I have a lot of accessories for the Jornada (snap on keyboard, PPCTechs WriteSHIELDS, BoxWave sync/charge cable etc) that I won't have if I keep the Axim. Not to mention I really like the Jornada's flip top cover, which the Axim does not have. On the other hand the Axim has 64MB of memory, a great screen and a long lasting battery. And it's new. Decisions decisions. :lol:

Dealing with Dell was great. After I responded to their email a reply from Dell gave me the direct contact for a Dell CS rep. I called and he basically confirmed my order and credit card information and gave me a Dell order number. And after a little whining they even waved the $25 shipping charge.

Now I'm not so patiently waiting for the Axim to arrive.

Mystery905
04-15-2003, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I succumbed to their incredible offer and responded to their e-mail offer Sunday. A Sales representative phoned me Monday morning, and gave me an order number. Currently the unit is 'in production'. He said it would take 5 business days.

So I'll have the super slim V35 as well as the feature rich, super-expandable Dell. I may end up selling one of them after I"ve decided.....

alcdroid
04-15-2003, 07:17 PM
I also finally gave in to the tempting offer after several days of personal debate. A Dell CS contacted me and took my order so I can expect my Axim around early next week. After I play around with it for a while, expect to find either an almost new Axim advanced or a 4-month old E330 on Ebay. :D

Cheers!

eternalblue
04-16-2003, 01:25 AM
approximate ship date is 10 days...
oh man, the long weekend is literally going to feel like a long weekend indeed.

Thefo
04-16-2003, 03:53 AM
approximate ship date is 10 days...
oh man, the long weekend is literally going to feel like a long weekend indeed.

I here you !!!! as I ordered mine on Friday :microwave: