View Full Version : Microsoft Updates Wi-Fi in Win XP

Jason Dunn
04-09-2003, 09:17 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110078,tk,dn040103X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n040103X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Trying to enhance the appeal of Windows XP among wireless users, Microsoft is making available a free upgrade to the operating system that supports the new Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) standard. The new software is meant to replace the Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) standard. It reportedly has more-robust methods of data encryption and network authentication, strengthening Windows XP users' security, according to Microsoft officials."<br /><br />Every time I see the words "new standard", a chill runs down my spine, but when you consider that 802.11i is being developed by the IEEE group, you know this isn't another proprietary technolgy hyped by a marketing person as being a "standard". And you can bet that we'll see 802.11i support in the Pocket PC eventually after Microsoft adopts it for XP.

smittyofdhs
04-09-2003, 10:03 PM
you really need to read the fine print before installing this to your system. The Access Points, wireless NIC, and any other software used needs to support WPA before you can start upgrading. Since this is new, you should get the required firmware for your AP's and nics before making this change.

karthur
04-09-2003, 11:58 PM
I installed it, and DIDN'T use the WEP features and I actually am getting better throughput than before the install. After you install it and reboot, you will be warned if you are not using WEP..ONLY AFTER you tell the system you acknowledge that not using security is a bad idea, will it let you connect...Took me a couple hours to figure out why when I ignored the dialog box.. :?

smittyofdhs
04-10-2003, 12:09 AM
I installed it, and DIDN'T use the WEP features and I actually am getting better throughput than before the install. After you install it and reboot, you will be warned if you are not using WEP..ONLY AFTER you tell the system you acknowledge that not using security is a bad idea, will it let you connect...Took me a couple hours to figure out why when I ignored the dialog box.. :?

you didn't use WEP, or WPA?

WEP is the old technology that was already there, WPA is the new one getting installed. According to the KB article that goes with this upgrade, it warns about having to upgrade the firmware of the AP. Are you not using an access point? if you are, which one?

n4cer
04-10-2003, 04:56 AM

If you are indeed not using either WEP or WPA, the throughput increase you see is likely due to your packets no longer being encrypted. The downside of doing this is that someone can more easily scan your wireless connection and record the data that flows through and/or leech your bandwidth.

karthur
04-10-2003, 09:14 PM

If you are indeed not using either WEP or WPA, the throughput increase you see is likely due to your packets no longer being encrypted. The downside of doing this is that someone can more easily scan your wireless connection and record the data that flows through and/or leech your bandwidth.

I'm not using either. I live in a remote enough location that I would know if anyone is nearby from miles around. A luxury most cannot afford - security-wise.

karthur
04-10-2003, 09:17 PM

you didn't use WEP, or WPA?

WEP is the old technology that was already there, WPA is the new one getting installed. According to the KB article that goes with this upgrade, it warns about having to upgrade the firmware of the AP. Are you not using an access point? if you are, which one?

Sorry..I meant WPA. I acknowledged the warning and connected to the access point, which is a Linksys WAP11. See my reply to N4cer re: security.

smittyofdhs
04-10-2003, 09:24 PM
I live in a remote enough location that I would know if anyone is nearby from miles around.

aka "redneck security" (no offense intended just a pun :) )