View Full Version : Ipaq metal aluminum cases reviewed - rhinoskin rhinosleeve vs. innopocket / iconcepts

ssl-architect
04-07-2003, 11:58 PM
just received both the innopocket/iconcepts metal case and the new rhinoskin rhinosleeve ipaq case.

I do have a pretty strong opinion about both cases , but i should preface this by saying that i'm particularly design/craftsmanship oriented.

the innopocket/iconcepts case is on ok product. It seems to be suffering from a quality control issue though. the ipaq slides in nice and snug with no danger of falling out. the profile of the case is very slim, almost identical to the cover pack that comes with the original package (but you can't sync with the case). the quality control isses or craftsmanship may not be noticeable to most people - slight differences in the gap sizes when the cover is closed. the hinge seems too large and sticks out more than the cover pack's hinge. even when the cover is closed, you can still push down on parts of the cover and feel it move around a little. the finish is kind of shiny, the aluminum is textured, which makes the finish, for lack of a better word, sparkly. not a matt or brushed finish. on a positive note, the case does not pick up fingerprints. the clip that holds the cover closed is just a bumped out part of the aluminum. the cover also does not wrap around the back, so you must hold the case like an open book while using it. i ended up buying the case through a power-seller on ebay (cheaper shipping than innopocket). also, I did email innopocket to see if the iconcepts case (at compusa) is the identical product and they confirmed that it was.

the rhinoskin rhinosleeve is very well crafted. the first thing i noticed is the finish. it is a vertical grain brushed aluminum finish that looks better than the finish on the original ipaq. think 'high-end sony brushed #4 stainless steel finish, except in aluminum.' i can't be more positive about the finish - very gorgeous. it doesn't pick up fingerprints either. the case comes in two parts, a back to hold the ipaq and a sliding cover. instead of neoprene that innopocket/iconcepts uses, the rhinesleeve uses a fine grade ultra-thin felt, which makes the ipaq slide a little easier into the case. the neoprene on the innopocket/iconcepts started to show some wrinkle lines in the neoprene after only a weekend of use. the rhinosleeve fit is about as perfect a fit for the ipaq as i've ever seen. the outer sleeve slides with perfect amount of friction onto the inner sleeve. one thing that may not be evident from the photos is that you can slide the outer sleeve off and flip it over and slide it on the back of the inner sleeve so that you don't have to carry two pieces. however, the note/voice record button is a little snug when this is done. the outer sleeve has a rounded steel knob for the included black plastic belt clip. the knob is quite small (9/32" diameter). my only complaint is that i wish the knob were removable, since i dont like carrying things on my belt. but it is small enough to not be a bother. the overall size of the case is about the same size as the innopocket/iconcepts case. the photo shown on the saunders rhinoskin web site makes it seem a little bigger. when the case is closed, it is very solid, there is not the slightest bit of rattling or movement between the sleeves or the ipaq. i would rate the design and craftsmanship for the rhinosleeve the best i have ever seen for an aluminum/metal case for the ipaqs. wonderful product. delivery was only two days from rhinoskin even though i paid for three-day shipping.

i should also point out that both cases don't cover up the connector on the bottom of the ipaqs. also, the top is left open on both cases to give access to the sd card, headphone jack and stylus. i received the innopocket/iconcepts case first and thought, "what a nice case." then i got the rhinosleeve and thought, "wow, this is amazing." by the way, i think saunders rhinoskin web site also sells the innopocket/iconcepts case.

hope this helps anyone making a decision to buy an aluminum case.

Chairman Clench
04-08-2003, 12:11 AM
I completely agree with you about the innopocket/iconcepts case. I found it to be almost unusable because I am right-handed and couldn't find a comfortable position to hold the case in. At least the cover pack that comes with the iPAQ has soft hinges so you can adjust it somewhat.

I have the iHolster, which is a plastic version of the rhinosleeve without the aluminum iPAQ sleeve. Instead I use the basic pack that came with my old 3650. It is very functional, but I also don't like things on my belt and don't really use it anymore.

I am still looking for something to replace the cover pack... I can't find anything that is as slim. I have been told the i-volution cases from vaja are close, but the lids on those look pretty big and in one review, they said that you kind of have to keep it open with your thumb. Since I do a lot of e-book reading and I use the record button as a page down, that's not practical.

Anyways, thanks for the write-up... if anyone has something better to replace the cover pack, I would be interested in hearing about it.