View Full Version : Wireless PDA Software Helps Grocery Shoppers

Janak Parekh
04-07-2003, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-04/giot-wps040303.php' target='_blank'>http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...t-wps040303.php</a><br /><br /></div>"Someday soon grocery shoppers using a wireless personal digital assistant (PDA) may be able to interact with a store's computer system to locate items and learn about special promotions. In a field test of a prototype PDA system developed by Georgia Institute of Technology researchers, shoppers reported that the device made shopping easier and more efficient. Shoppers tended to avoid impulse buys and also found items in the store more quickly. On the downside, shoppers did not like holding the PDA while shopping, and many suggested a docking station on the shopping cart – an idea explored, but not tested in this study. 'It's still an unanswered question as to whether the PDA is the right device for use in grocery stores,' said Georgia Tech Associate Professor of Computing John Stasko, who supervised the project. 'Our study clearly showed some potential. But the devil is in the details.'"<br /><br />It's noteworthy that they're using an iPaq, and the demo was mocked up using Flash. The project homepage is <a href="http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/ii/shop/">here</a>.

R K
04-08-2003, 12:55 AM
This is great.
Get Bluetooth cheap enough to attach on every package in the store.
Make grocery lists on your PDA of the items you want.
Go into the store and turn on Bluetooth.
Every time you close in on an item you're looking for, the PDA (by voice) tells you that you're close to an item and to look at the second shelf to the left.
As you collect each item, the PDA checks it off from your list and calculates your current grocery bill.
As you stroll through the checkout lane (not line), Bluetooth automatically let's your PDA pay for your groceries. Instead of waiting in a line, you head straight to the car.
A Bluetooth security sensor makes sure your bill is paid before you leave the store.
Once you leave the store, the PDA reminds you when your groceries are near melting/spoiling point.
With this method, you still have your hands free.
When you arrive home, Bluetooth enables your PDA to wirelessly communicate to your robot to go and put the groceries into the freezer.
As you enter the living room, the answering machine automatically detects your Bluetooth PDA and spouts off your messages.
By this time, many of the lights in your home have been turned on due to the Bluetooth equipped lamps.

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X

0X 0X 0X ....Some day.... 0X 0X 0X

0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X 0X

rfischer
04-08-2003, 01:38 AM
"On the downside, shoppers did not like holding the PDA while shopping,"

I agree with that. I tried using VO Shopping List while at the grocery store but it's not convenient to hold my T-Mobile while shopping.

bkerrins
04-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Here's what I would like to see. Everyday when I run out of something at home or think of something I want, I simply enter it into my PDA. When I sync my PDA it will go out to the grocery store I choose and find out the price. Once the total number of items exceeds a specific spending amount I select (i.e. $100), then it simply places my order with the online grocery store (yes, I still miss webvan) and get's delivered the next day. I have heard that in London they are testing something similar. Most of this stuff already exists too. I know Safeway has online shopping so the PDA should be able to push a price check and keep a running total. Much of the application could reside on my PC and not use up valuable memory either. The PDA only becomes the data entry point.

karen
04-08-2003, 04:08 AM
This is great.
Every time you close in on an item you're looking for, the PDA (by voice) tells you that you're close to an item and to look at the second shelf to the left.
As you collect each item, the PDA checks it off from your list and calculates your current grocery bill.
As you stroll through the checkout lane (not line), Bluetooth automatically let's your PDA pay for your groceries. Instead of waiting in a line, you head straight to the car.
A Bluetooth security sensor makes sure your bill is paid before you leave the store.
Once you leave the store, the PDA reminds you when your groceries are near melting/spoiling point.
With this method, you still have your hands free.
When you arrive home, Bluetooth enables your PDA to wirelessly communicate to your robot to go and put the groceries into the freezer.
As you enter the living room, the answering machine automatically detects your Bluetooth PDA and spouts off your messages.
By this time, many of the lights in your home have been turned on due to the Bluetooth equipped lamps.

You just described RFID. No need for a bluetooth connection. really, just and ID that broadcast's its identity via some form, in this case, RF.

Karen

yschang
04-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Have you guys seen the new IBM e-business ad?
It shows a guy just walk in to the supermarket and start putting things into his jacket and pockets.
Everybody was looking at him especially the security guy.
By the time he walk to the check out which is like the security gate at the airport, a red flash similar to the bar scanner lazer just zap the guy, and a receipt is printed out by the printer next to him.
And the security just pick up the receipt and said: "Don't forget your receipt, Sir." "Thank you for shopping with us!"

That's almost like what RK described!

It'll be awesome.

Lday
04-08-2003, 06:58 AM
I service Point-of-Sale computers for Fujitsu, most of what we do is for Grocery stores. A local chain here in Arizona tested a similar application a few years ago, called Video Cart. They had a 10" monochrome touch-screen LCD bolted to the shopping cart that was hooked up to a shoe-box sized unit bolted to the bottom of the cart. There was an antenna grid through-out the store, and when the customer entered each aisle, it showed items that were on special, and would generate an electronic coupon the was redeemed when they checked out. It also had a map of the store showing where items were. They only ran the system for about 6 months, mostly because the carts were expensive to maintain, and customers complained that it blocked their view of their purses sitting in the basket of the shopping cart. I know it cost a bundle, but the vendor subsidized the cost by selling product placement and ads on the system. The biggest problem I can see is protecting the devices, they would have to make an almost bullet-proof holder on the cart for it, or if the devices were solely hand-held, have pretty tight security on them.

R K
04-08-2003, 09:41 AM
My thought was that the consumers would have to bring their own PDA to use the store's system.
It would cost a bundle to maintain the store's own handhelds. You'd have to think about repeated battery drains, or put big battery boxes on the carts that keep the handhelds powered all day.
You'd also have to ruggedize the handhelds very well so that the customers don't abuse them--so they don't become like the demo units at your local Best Buy or CompUSA.

rlobrecht
04-08-2003, 01:30 PM
My thought was that the consumers would have to bring their own PDA to use the store's system.

Can you imagine debugging WiFi or bluetooth problems with every customer? What about the one that comes in with a Palm M-100 and doesn't understand why they can't connect.

I think in concept that this is a fantastic idea, the implementation will be tough today. Give it another year or two.

RedRamage
04-08-2003, 02:43 PM
[quote="Janak ParekhShoppers tended to avoid impulse buys...[/quote]
I don't imagine that this is going to be a selling point for the stores!

bdegroodt
04-08-2003, 04:32 PM
This is great.
As you stroll through the checkout lane (not line)...

BlueTooth Jammer expels high doses of 2.4Ghz frequency, effectively jamming BT security system sensors, thus enabling yet another free trip to the grocery store :twisted: