View Full Version : Not everything resetted after hard reset?

ralliart12
04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
I'd just realised the device profile(s) created using Nevo are not removed even after a hard reset! Is there any other such things that are not removed(or resetted) after a hard reset? So we can't truly reset the iPaq back into the factory default?

jimski
04-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Well, as Nevo is stored in ROM, I am guessing that Nevo settings are also.

ralliart12
04-07-2003, 07:09 AM
Is there nothing I can do to reset everything in the ROM completely back to what it's originally like?

Pony99CA
04-07-2003, 09:31 AM
I'd just realised the device profile(s) created using Nevo are not removed even after a hard reset! Is there any other such things that are not removed(or resetted) after a hard reset? So we can't truly reset the iPaq back into the factory default?
I don't have Nevo, so I don't know how it locates its device profiles, but maybe I can make a guess. :-)

Did you save your device profiles in the iPAQ File Store by any chance? That is a user-accessible ROM area, and is preserved over a hard reset.

If you saved them on a storage card, you might see the same effect. Hard resets obviously won't affect any storage cards.

Steve

mscdex
04-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Is there nothing I can do to reset everything in the ROM completely back to what it's originally like?

You might want to try downloading a ROM update (same version as installed may even work I don't know), and try downgrading and then upgrading the rom again. It seems that that would HAVE to clear the ROM entirely.

ralliart12
04-08-2003, 12:35 PM
...Did you save your device profiles in the iPAQ File Store by any chance?...

Nope, I didn't. I was careful not to make any permanent changes while playing around with my unit.

...try downloading a ROM update...and then upgrading the rom again....

I don't really wanna try this method.

ralliart12
04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
The 2 folders I've in my FileStore now have quite official sounding names so I'm afraid to delete themi. They're named 'Compaq' & 'iPAQ Backup'(quite official sounding right?).

This is their directory structure:

Compaq > Nevo > Extensions(> empty folder), UserData(> 7 files), WebDownload(> Controls, Devices, Favourites{all which leads to empty folders as well}). Furthermore, the date of those 7 files under 'UserData' are listed as '6/27/02' which means they were created way before I'd obtained my iPaq. Does it mean they were created by HP?

iPAQ Backup > nothing inside(empty folder)

Now, I can understand why the 'Compaq' was created, as I was playing around with Nevo & maybe Nevo stored my settings there. Thus I'm not so worried about deleting this folder.

On the other hand, this 'iPAQ Backup' folder, I don't see how I could have created it, as I didn't ran any backup programs. Thus I'm afraid it might be there when the unit's fresh outta the box.

Pony99CA
04-08-2003, 02:30 PM
The 2 folders I've in my FileStore now have quite official sounding names so I'm afraid to delete themi. They're named 'Compaq' & 'iPAQ Backup'(quite official sounding right?).

This is their directory structure:

Compaq > Nevo > Extensions(> empty folder), UserData(> 7 files), WebDownload(> Controls, Devices, Favourites{all which leads to empty folders as well}). Furthermore, the date of those 7 files under 'UserData' are listed as '6/27/02' which means they were created way before I'd obtained my iPaq. Does it mean they were created by HP?
I don't know how those folders got created, but you now know why they survived a hard reset. As I guessed, user data was placed in your iPAQ File Store.

As for whether the iPAQ ships like that, I have no idea. You'll have to find out from someone with a 3900 or 5400 series iPAQ who has never used Nevo.

Steve

ralliart12
04-08-2003, 02:59 PM
I don't know how those folders got created, but you now know why they survived a hard reset. As I guessed, user data was placed in your iPAQ File Store.

As for whether the iPAQ ships like that, I have no idea. You'll have to find out from someone with a 3900 or 5400 series iPAQ who has never used Nevo.

Steve

Yup; actually I'd already understood why they withstood a hard reset, cos they were in the ROM.

& I'll try looking for that someone. Thanks for your help anyway.