View Full Version : Change Standard SD Slot To SDIO

ozen
04-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Would it be possible for someone to replace the standard SD slot on the Axim to an SDIO slot? I've heard of the memory upgrades and stuff like that and I was wondering if you could upgrade the SD slot.
Does anyone know of any companys that do this or might in the future or would it be cheaper the just get another PcoketPC with an SDIO slot?

WyattEarp
04-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Had the same thought before I read about SDIO and went from the 3870 (non-SDIO) to the 3975 (SDIO)

Basically the SD slot can't just be switched out (although that would be nice :D ). There are hardware/software issues that must be worked out with other connections inside the PPC. Basically your looking at switching out the entire motherboard. It would be to costly for an individual company to offer such an upgrade.

Sorry, Dell will just have to offer another PPC with SDIO built-in. But unless you are going to use an SDIO card (wifi, camera, etc.) you're not missing anything.

ozen
04-07-2003, 12:35 AM
aww well that sucks. I guess I'll just wait for Dell to Get another PPC out in like a year or something.

PapaSmurfDan
04-07-2003, 01:14 AM
With the current lack of SDIO cards, I would not worry too much. Becuase the Axim does have the CF slot, you can allready get a cheap wifi cards, bluetooth cards, VGA out, Cameras, and other nifty stuff. You do not need SDIO for memory cards (it sounds like you are confused here), just stuff like Bluetooth and WiFi. And even if it was SDIO, the 4-bit SDIO bus is rather narrow for high speed devices such as WiFi if you are trying to get the full performace out of it.

My personal feeling is: if you are getting a device that has a CF and SD slot, SDIO is not that important. If you are getting a device that just has an SD slot, it is only important if you have any plans for wanting wireless networking, camrea, or vga out.

-Dan

Pony99CA
04-07-2003, 02:53 AM
Basically the SD slot can't just be switched out (although that would be nice :D ). There are hardware/software issues that must be worked out with other connections inside the PPC. Basically your looking at switching out the entire motherboard. It would be to costly for an individual company to offer such an upgrade.

Sorry, Dell will just have to offer another PPC with SDIO built-in. But unless you are going to use an SDIO card (wifi, camera, etc.) you're not missing anything.
Don't be so sure. I've heard that the XScale supports SDIO, and that it may be possible to upgrade some Pocket PCs to support SDIO with just a new driver. Many iPAQ 1910 users are hoping that's true. Geek.com (http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jan/bpd20030117018212.htm) had a discussion about this.

Steve

WyattEarp
04-08-2003, 03:36 AM

Don't be so sure. I've heard that the XScale supports SDIO, and that it may be possible to upgrade some Pocket PCs to support SDIO with just a new driver. Many iPAQ 1910 users are hoping that's true. Geek.com (http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jan/bpd20030117018212.htm) had a discussion about this.

Steve

XScale does support SDIO, but if the physical connections necessary between the processor and SD controller card aren't already in place then installing drivers won't do anything. Not to burst any bubbles here, but there are certain requirements and all XScale PPCs don't meet them.