View Full Version : Pandora's Box

trachy
04-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Up until now I've used my PPC only for the most basic needs. I kept my contacts in there, tasks, appointments, etc. I guess the limited functionality of my old Visor kept me locked into some sort of PDA paradigm.

Now, I'm freakin' out. I finally broke down and picked up a 256Mb SD card last week, and have started dropping MP3s and MPEG-1s on it. I'm also using it to back up my Quicken DB and other must-have files. (Aside: that SanDisk Cruzer is a sweet substitute for a card reader. It's fast.)

Needless to say, I'm jonesing for more storage. That 256Mb card just isn't cutting it, and I must have a couple more of them. Of course, a 512Mb card would be nice, but I have a hard time justifying the price per Mb being twice as much as the 256Mb card.

Anyone else ease into a frenzy? Is that an oxymoron? What can I expect next? I don't want to go the sleeve route again (tried it once and the thing is just way too bulky), so maybe a WiFi SD card is in my future? C'mon Socket and SanDisk! I need a fix!

- Drew

PetiteFlower
04-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Sandisk is supposed to be releasing a 512M SD card that will retail for about $160 in the next few months, if you can hold out that long.... :)

Pony99CA
04-06-2003, 03:06 AM
Anyone else ease into a frenzy? Is that an oxymoron? What can I expect next? I don't want to go the sleeve route again (tried it once and the thing is just way too bulky), so maybe a WiFi SD card is in my future? C'mon Socket and SanDisk! I need a fix!
The good news is that SanDisk has announced combined WiFi and memory cards (http://www.sandisk.com/pressrelease/030109_wifi.htm). The SD version, when available, will only be 256 MB, but I assume they'll eventually get larger. Something like that will really obviate the need for a sleeve. :-)

The bad news, for you, is that it sounds like you have a 3800 series iPAQ, which doesn't support SDIO, so you'll never be able to use a WiFi SD card. :-( People with iPAQ 3900s will be in luck, though.

Steve

trachy
04-06-2003, 04:30 AM
The bad news, for you, is that it sounds like you have a 3800 series iPAQ, which doesn't support SDIO, so you'll never be able to use a WiFi SD card. :-( People with iPAQ 3900s will be in luck, though.

I'd been wondering about that. I've looked high and low trying to find specs on my 3835, and never could find anything about SDIO. I guess it's because maybe it didn't exist at the time?

Is SDIO a hardware- or software-based feature? Would a BIOS upgrade enable SDIO support, or am I really screwed here?

- Drew

Shadowcat
04-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Yes it did exist. That's why Compaq was slammed for not making the 3800s SDIO. The SD slots on 3800s are slower (I think 1 bit vs 4 bit for SDIO) and of course do not support IO cards such as Bluetooth or WiFi.

SDIO is a hardware feature so you're pretty much screwed. Supposedly the x-scale processors have built-in support for SDIO and it can be enabled through a driver upgrade (e.g., H1910). However, these drivers have not materialised and the 3800s use the original Strongarms so this doesn't affect you in any way.

trachy
04-06-2003, 05:16 AM
One reason my wife got me the 3835 was because she heard the 39xx series has a much shorter battery life. Any truth to this? Sounds about right to me, with the faster processor and all. I get 5-6 hours out of my 3835 before it needs the juice.

Janak Parekh
04-06-2003, 05:18 AM
No. The 39xx units have about 30% better battery life than the 38xx units, due to the lower-power transflective display. How long ago did you get it? If you can, I'd consider trading up. :)

The 54xx units do have some battery life issues; that's the one you may have been thinking about.

--janak

Bosco
04-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Anyone else ease into a frenzy?

Not with a PPC, no, but over on the other side of the fence, I've recently gone nuts. When you're waiting for the perfect unit and you've got something so bottom of the barrel (too embarassed to say), you tend to over-endulge when you actually get what you're waiting for. I'm living proof. NX70v, 128 Lexar, Wifi, looking for a better price on the Bluetooth MS, eager for a 512 MSPro, and most of all, some freakin' CF drivers for a 1 GB Microdrive. That way, it'll be 512 MB with Wifi or 1 GB with Bluetooth. Can't go wrong there. Or if Sony decides to release some new NX with 1 MP camera, 32 MB, and Bluetooth, it'll be a lot less for me to spend, especially since I've got the Best Buy upgrade... er... extended warranty with a $600 NX balance on it.

Maybe I'll find a cheap Axim to keep me busy during charges? Yeah, what the hell. It's just money. Joy doesn't have a price.

Cracknell
04-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Walmart starts carrying 256MB SD for $70-80 bucks and they can't seem to keep them in stock specially the Lexar and Fuji one.

Pony99CA
04-06-2003, 08:29 AM
One reason my wife got me the 3835 was because she heard the 39xx series has a much shorter battery life. Any truth to this? Sounds about right to me, with the faster processor and all. I get 5-6 hours out of my 3835 before it needs the juice.
Besides what Janak said about the transflective display, the XScale processor was designed to be more battery friendly. The "Scale" part refers to the fact that it can scale its speed down to conserve battery life.

Even without scaling, I recall seeing that the 400 MHz XScale processor had about the same impact on battery life as a 206 MHz StrongArm.

Steve

dac035
04-06-2003, 05:21 PM
I am sorry :( but I recommend using a expansion pack. There is a dual expansion pack. It is slim and holds two CF slots. I have a 3835 and I use the first slot with a 512 CF card and the second slot for optional 256 CF card or my CF WiFi card. I have a 256 SD card. Total min. flash memory 768 mg.

It does not have a optional battery pack, but the cf card are low powered.

I sometimes use the PCCARD expansion pack (too bulky) with a Kingston 2 gig PC card. Only when I am traveliing. I watch a few movies with card and I have the spare battery for juice. :lol:

Janak Parekh
04-06-2003, 07:06 PM
I am sorry :( but I recommend using a expansion pack. There is a dual expansion pack. It is slim and holds two CF slots.
That is indeed a worthwhile alternative; see www.pitech.com for more details on that dual CF sleeve.

--janak

Thinkingmandavid
04-07-2003, 07:47 AM
wow! what can i add? it seems to me it has all been said so well.
I agree, if you can trade up to the 3900, then do it... it sounds to me you are indulging yourself in a lot of the features that the ipaq has, so that is good. if you really want to do that then hold up for the scandisk combo and the get yourself at least a 3900:)

trachy
04-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I am sorry :( but I recommend using a expansion pack. There is a dual expansion pack. It is slim and holds two CF slots.
That is indeed a worthwhile alternative; see www.pitech.com for more details on that dual CF sleeve.

--janak

I used the PC Card Expansion Pack (with battery) a while back and found it to be too bulky. Also, I just assumed the CF version(s) would be similar, so I never gave it much thought. The Pitech sleeve looks thinner from the pictures on their site, so maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

- Drew