View Full Version : PocketPC external display

mscdex
04-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Anyone know if there is any way to display the PocketPC's screen via RGB? I'm thinking about buying an LCD screen, and it only has RGB connectors and I thought it'd be kinda neat to have in the car or something. :D

Sven Johannsen
04-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Three that I know of

Colorgraphics Voyager
Margi Presenter &
Lifeview Flypresenter

www.mobileplanet.com sells all three, so that is a place you can start

mscdex
04-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Are there any cheaper or homemade ways of going about this? Those cards are awfully expensive for the little project I'm wanting to set up. :?

Sven Johannsen
04-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Not that I know of. They are quite little technologial feats actually. I agree they are a bit pricey to just play with, but if you really had a need, they are fairly reasonable for what they let you do, and the bundled software.

Incidentaly, if your LCD screen only has RGB input, I would lay odds it is also a 110AC device. So you'll be shelling out for a power inverter as well.

I just picked up a 5" LCD screen that is designed for in car use (12VDC, composite video in) for under a $100, and am actually persuing the same idea you are. I knew I would be spending $100 to $150 on the video interface up front. My experimentation is in reference to a better GPS display.

mscdex
04-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Well, at CompGeeks.com, you can get a 4in. TFT LCD screen for $66, and it comes with a car power adapter. So I won't need an inverter.
And it actually says it has RCA connectors, but says they are RGB.

bmhome1
04-06-2003, 03:13 AM
Check to sell forums frequently. I picked up a nearly new ColorGraphic Voyager for my 3955 for $80.00. Remember the VGA display will be a vertical window on the LCD and realize the VGA's processor demand is very high on the PPC, slowing down apps and screen refreshes.

LorryDriver71
04-06-2003, 11:50 AM
4"!? I wouldn't bother, seen as the ppc screen is 3.5 - 3.8" then you'll be gaining 0.2 - 0.5". Is that really worth it?

mscdex
04-06-2003, 12:57 PM
4"!? I wouldn't bother, seen as the ppc screen is 3.5 - 3.8" then you'll be gaining 0.2 - 0.5". Is that really worth it?

Well I was planning on using it for other things besides what I had planned... :wink:

bobkatt
04-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Keep an eye on ebay.com for someone selling a use video output card.
Keep in mind though all the cards are either VGA output or composite video. I have not seen or heard of any that are RGB meaning 3 RCA cables. (red,green,blue) Composite is just one RCA cable.

Good luck

Bob

Sven Johannsen
04-06-2003, 05:14 PM
I found your LCD at compgeeks. it is not RGB (as far as input). It is NTSC analog video. Same as comes out of your VCR/DVD on the yellow RCA connector.

You are in good shape, but you can scratch the Margi card off your list. It is RGB only.

LorryDriver71
04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
LorryDriver71 wrote:

Well I was planning on using it for other things besides what I had planned...

Oh, i see, in that case i guess it's quite cool :D

bobkatt
04-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Personally a used PC Laptop with around a 500 mhz processor should be available for around the same cost of upgrading your PDA with a PC card, sleeve and additonal bits and pieces.

Try this route too.
Specially look for a laptop with a composite video out built-in.
Good chance if the laptop has a built in DVD from day one, it will have this RCA port also. Then again if you already have a 14 inch screen and the DVD, what else would you really need?

Good luck.

mscdex
04-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Personally a used PC Laptop with around a 500 mhz processor should be available for around the same cost of upgrading your PDA with a PC card, sleeve and additonal bits and pieces.

8O A 500mhz laptop that cheap? I can only wish...